Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Empty World  (Read 6743 times)

greatorder

Empty World
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:09:06 am »

this is the way the world ends
not with a bang but a whimper.

~The Hollow Men (1925) by T. S. Eliot

OK, you lot managed to convince me to make this forum game. I hate you for it, because my procrastination skills are legendary, and this just gives me another excuse, but never mind that.

The first four to reply with a character sheet are going to be the first in. No reserving spots for yourself by posting. Character sheet, or no spot. Even the entry is harder than a regular game.

You start off with one proficiency in one of these skills:
Unarmed combat (increased damage, unarmed speed and accuracy with unarmed strikes.)
Repair (repairing items, and, later on, creating items from other items.)
Small firearms (Pistols, SMGs, etc. increases accuracy)
Medium firearms (rifles, shotguns, etc. increases accuracy. For the sake of simplicity, bows and crossbows will also be effected by this)
Survival (+1 health per body part (limbs and torso))
Melee weapons (swords, spears etc. increases accuracy and speed, later levels increase damage)

Weapons
Weapons are arranged into several groups.
Small firearms: pistols, SMGs and any other small gun you can think of.
Medium firearms: rifles, shotguns and any other medium-sized weapon you can think of.
Large firearms: Light machine guns, rocket launchers and any other large weapon you can think of (that can be carried).
Melee weapons: katanas, broadswords, spears, sledgehammers and the like. they can cause one of three types of damage at once: slash, pierce or blunt.
Blunt damage weapons (warhammers, sledgehammers etc.) tend to be slow and heavy, but can go through flexible armours (e.g. non-backed kevlar (kevlar without SAPI plates)) and can break bones easily.
Pierce damage weapons (spears, swords, if you attempt to stab, rather than slash.) cause less direct damage to a limb than a slashing attack, but when targeted at the head or torso, they can pierce the body and damage vital organs.
Slash damage weapons (katanas, swords when you slash with them) cause average damage to the torso/limbs, and can cause bleeding. it is also possible to decapitate people and cut off limbs with these weapons.
Bows and crossbows: Cause less damage than a gun, and you can only fire one shot before 'reloading'. The exception to this is the repeater crossbow. Less common than guns, but they can be crafted, and if something goes wrong, they are more likely to just snap or break the bolt/arrow, rather than causing damage to the user.

Health
Each part of your body has it's own individual health, statuses etc. If wither a leg or an arm's health is reduced to 0, that limb will either be crushed beyond repair, or will have been cut off. You can get infections in cuts, which, if left alone, will begin to fester, and drain the health of the limb at a rate of 1 health very half day. Once the limb loses half of it's health since it became infected, it will begin draining the health from other parts of the body at a rate of once every 2 hours. All body parts are effected in one go (e.g. limb has 6 health, and becomes infected, once it reaches 3 health, the rest of the body parts will lose one health every 2 hours). Unless you take antibiotics or clean the wound properly, you will probably die within a day of the infection draining your body's health.

Armour
Armour can cover the head, limbs and torso, depending on what it is. Different types of armour absorb different amounts of damage, and depend on the type of damage they receive.
Blunt damage is largely stopped by 'rigid' armours, such as SAPI plate backed kevlar. However, these armours can crack or become damaged, and when they do, they become largely useless. They are also generally heavier.
'Soft' armours (e.g. unbacked kevlar) will only really be useful against pierce and slash attacks. They do, however, tend to last longer.

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)
You don't need to fill in the fields marked with an asterisk.

Please name a country/state you want to start in! Remember, all other countries and states will be emptied of all humans!
remember different states and countries will play differently. if you start in Arizona, food and water are gonna be scarce. Britain, guns are going to be harder to find etc.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:20:58 am by greatorder »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empty World
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 11:14:50 am »

Name : Feanor Lindon
Background : A former CO19 officer he was trained to use every kind of gun or is hands and a knife to put down he's target if they refused to surrender. But he took it to far refusing to allow the target to even try to surrender before shooting them. He lost he's job for shooting an unarmed man but avoided prison because he appeared to be armed at the time. When he lost he's job he took several weapons with him before anybody realized.
Proficiency : Medium firearms
Extra information : Loyal to he's nation to an extreme will take any insult to it very seriously.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:17:56 am by mesor »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:16:54 am »

Name: Sacha Overbeck
Bio: [To be announced]
Proficiency: Small Firearms.
Extra info: [To be announced]
Starting: USA
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18:13 am »

oh, that's a point.

remember different states and countries will play differently. if you start in Arizona, food and water are gonna be scarce. Britain, guns are going to be harder to find etc.

You should edit that into the OP. Also instead of big bold perhaps edit the character sheet to reflect the need for the selection.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 11:19:26 am »

Name: Karl Bayley.
Bio*: High school science teacher. Was a high flying academic before a breakdown, and went rural to get over it.
Proficiency: Repair.
Extras: Prone to fits of instability during periods of stress.
Starting: Wales, UK.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:21:31 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:20:38 am »

Name: Michel Obervok
profic:survival

Usa MIchigan

Also is it just the state/country or the whole world that is emptied out?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:25:36 am by rarborman »
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:24:52 am »

Kentucky.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:33:20 am »

NOOO!

>:[

Why am I always late to the party?

Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:38:19 am »

Dice
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 11:40:27 am »

Name : Tomas Ruiz
Background : A skilled arnis instructor from the Phillippines. Recently finished first in an arnis tournament.
Proficiency : Melee weapons
Extra information :Goes into a sort of trance when surrounded. (Ripped straight off the dwarves. :P )
Starting location : Manila, Phillippines

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 11:47:25 am »

RNG RNG RNG.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 12:17:12 pm »

"I say we find ourselves a vehicle and work on getting more food and water, anyone know how to hotwire a car?"

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 12:27:13 pm »

"I think I could manage it pretty easy. I suggest a slightly older pickup truck of some kind - more rugged, and easier to bodge repair. An older Toyota Hilux or Land Rover would be ideal."
This is a blank sig.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 12:30:57 pm »

Lots of space for supplies to.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »

>Search for parked trucks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5