Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: ScrumbleShip - Now successfully kickstarted!  (Read 14876 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: ScrumbleShip
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 03:51:28 am »

That all makes perfect sense, but my point was that firing might not be synchronised with the "ticks", and so might hit a ship on tick N for one computer, and N+1 on another. Still, it shouldn't be too hard to disambiguate that either a server or whoever was hit gets to warn everyone else of that :)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 03:57:18 am »

That all makes perfect sense, but my point was that firing might not be synchronised with the "ticks", and so might hit a ship on tick N for one computer, and N+1 on another. Still, it shouldn't be too hard to disambiguate that either a server or whoever was hit gets to warn everyone else of that :)

I meant the event of the hit would be associated with a tick, and that so every machine would use that tick for that event. Normally the server would set which tick things happened. You never want to have a state where different machines have the event on a different tick.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 08:20:40 am »

The server would not tell you "ship hit".
The server would tell you "ship hit at tick 35267".

Beyond that, take the relative importance approach.  When the enemy ship is just a few pixels in the sky, I don't care if their shield is warm or if their engine is cold.  I'm too far away to do anything about it.  I do care if they explode, so tell me if they explode, but I don't have to be aware of every little temperature change in the universe all the time.  Wait until I get into laser range to alert me of their overall heat settings, and wait until I'm boarding their ship before telling me about the data of every voxel.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 08:25:34 am »

Seems like it is getting worked hard and a lot on, getting it if it works like i hope! :P
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 01:57:17 am »

Curse this laptop and it's inability to run OpenGL!

In other news, I funded it via Kickstarter, but haven't gotten the deluxe version I donated for.  I would get it once the Kickstart thing's deadline elapses and the thing is presumably funded, right?  *doesn't know how Kickstarter works*

Will I be able to strap giant engines to asteroids and/or maybe planets and blow up stars?  Will ships require maneuvering thrusters?  Can I build giant thrusters in general - like, say, will I be able to fly a fighter or shuttle or whatever into a capital ship's thruster, or will they just be powered by huge banks of tiny, single-block thrusters, and the like.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:02:32 am by Farce »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 07:36:30 am »

You will presumably get access to the Alpha soon after the kickstarter ends, but the Deluxe edition will be when the game releases.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 07:37:37 am »

It traditionally works that once the deadline hits, then you get your money back (hopefully) or the developer gets the list of emails of backers and sends out a bulk email to them with download info.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 09:05:11 am »

Not so much "get your money back" as "perform actual payment". I use KS with Amazon, and they don't take any money until the game is actually funded.

dirkson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ScrumbleShip
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 11:59:22 am »

You will presumably get access to the Alpha soon after the kickstarter ends, but the Deluxe edition will be when the game releases.

Actually, the deluxe is available once the kickstarter ends too. It includes a soundtrack and bleeding-edge access (Access to builds between monthly major version releases).

*doesn't know how Kickstarter works*

Will I be able to strap giant engines to asteroids and/or maybe planets and blow up stars?  Will ships require maneuvering thrusters?  Can I build giant thrusters in general - like, say, will I be able to fly a fighter or shuttle or whatever into a capital ship's thruster, or will they just be powered by huge banks of tiny, single-block thrusters, and the like.

Everyone else has got Kickstarter more or less right - I don't get anything until the kickstarter finishes, so I need to wait for that. Drop me an email on ScrumbleShip.com if you're desperate, though, and we'll see if we can't work something out.

Yup, you'll be able to strap engines onto asteroids and move them around. Less so for planets, and the power requirements to blow up a star are a few orders of magnitude beyond what I'm likely to hand players.

Both smaller and larger thrusters are planned - We've actually got some 2x2 thrusters that a member of the community made that I need to get into the game.

I wouldn't mind if there was an option between cartoony and plain. I mean, a plain GUI should be simple enough, just make it grey boxes, circles, arrows etc.

A community member has agreed with you, and is making a different HUD for people. I hadn't intended to put it into the game, but with your suggestion of a switch... Why not?

The screenshot is still a little rough, but you can see where he's going.: http://dynamic.scrumbleship.com/sites/default/files/hud.png

Cheers!
-Dirk

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »

posting to watch
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

dirkson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ScrumbleShip
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2012, 11:59:13 am »

Hey guys!

It's the final day for the kickstarter, so if any of you were thinking of supporting it, now's the time. Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/660532831/scrumbleship

Otherwise, go build somethin' cool in DF ;)

Cheers,
-Dirk

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2012, 12:36:38 pm »

I haven't kickstarted it, but I really hope someone buys another deluxe copy, AI could really make this exciting for people who don't enjoy multiplayer and give it lasting appeal when the multiplayer dies down at some point.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

dirkson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ScrumbleShip
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2012, 12:49:48 pm »

I haven't kickstarted it, but I really hope someone buys another deluxe copy, AI could really make this exciting for people who don't enjoy multiplayer and give it lasting appeal when the multiplayer dies down at some point.
Thanks! Someone did about 5 minutes after your post! Things move fast 'round here ;)

Cheers,
-Dirk

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2012, 07:39:25 pm »

Aww.  We didn't reach plantships.  That makes me sad.

dirkson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ScrumbleShip
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2012, 09:37:05 pm »

Don't "aww" yet. We still have 14 hours to go ;)

-Dirk
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6