Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: ScrumbleShip - Now successfully kickstarted!  (Read 14873 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: ScrumbleShip
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 04:18:36 pm »

Hi Dirkson!

I figured you might be around here somewhere, or at least pop up. People making this sort of thing tend to show up here quite often :)

Right now the only thing that's keeping me from jumping on the boat is the performance. Like I said, I did a pretty tiny ship, with two rooms or so. The entire thing must've fit on a 30x10x5 volume or so, and the game was beginning to noticeably lag, while blocks would pop into existence sometime AFTER they were in my field of view. And this is without any major physics or heat going on, since I had barely placed any actual systems!

The ego thing worries me because people who have big egos usually get them from being able to do things fairly quickly, but tend to give up when hitting a barrier.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 05:04:15 pm »

I bought it yesterday and look forward to getting access to a build that is more than the ship builder. Congrats on making a go of your vision!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

dirkson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ScrumbleShip
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 08:11:48 pm »

50 G seems like quite an instant kill for me, if it last for more than a fraction of a second.

I believe something like 20 is the longest that can be sustained for multiple minutes. (Note that you're not going to do anything beside being crushed in a seat.)
Yup! Humans can withstand a few G's without any eqipment, 5-9G's with supportive equipment and training while seated, and 21G's for 1-2 minutes while lying down perpendicular to the direction of acceleration. Mythbusters teaches me that 50-100G's can be survivable, if they're only for a split second. Girlinhat gave a pretty good partial rundown of this.

I bought it yesterday and look forward to getting access to a build that is more than the ship builder. Congrats on making a go of your vision!
Thanks for the support!

I figured you might be around here somewhere, or at least pop up. People making this sort of thing tend to show up here quite often :)

Right now the only thing that's keeping me from jumping on the boat is the performance. Like I said, I did a pretty tiny ship, with two rooms or so. The entire thing must've fit on a 30x10x5 volume or so, and the game was beginning to noticeably lag, while blocks would pop into existence sometime AFTER they were in my field of view. And this is without any major physics or heat going on, since I had barely placed any actual systems!

The ego thing worries me because people who have big egos usually get them from being able to do things fairly quickly, but tend to give up when hitting a barrier.
Yup! I saw a few hits from here, so I figured I'd say hi.

The performance issues you describe are interesting. You're not on "Epic" graphics, are you? The simulation speed is actually independent of the rendering speed- They're on separate threads. (As much as I love Toady and DF, they need multi-threaded coding badly) Any visual lag you experience should be pretty constant, too, and not scale up - ScrumbleShip does its best to scale what it's displaying by your FPS, and doesn't ever let it drop below 20 or so. (Ideally I'd like to peg it at 30, as time goes on)

I think by "ego", you guys mean "arrogance" or "self-importance"? I've noticed I strike some people that way, but have never really been able to pin down what behaviors of mine /or/ theirs trigger it. It's interesting to see several people agree at once!

I think if I was going to give up at a barrier, it would have been when other games entered my genre, several of which had faster coders than me. (e.g. Blockade Runner) In my mind, it's basically a given that I'm going to finish this thing, no matter what happens.

Cheers,
-Dirk

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 04:27:26 am »

Regarding the ego, I think it's the fact you assume that you are very interesting to other people. The tip-off for this, to me, was the "seriously" in the end of your full bio, when the description strikes me (at least) as perfectly normal. By the way, I'm not attacking you, I'm just having an honest conversation about a topic that interests me as well :) I hope you don't take this the wrong way.

I like what you are saying. In your opinion, why do you think that the game is already so slow? Is it the fact that it's not block base but voxel based?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 04:42:52 am »

One excellent estimate of how much work I've already put into ScrumbleShip  is David A Wheeler's "SlocCount", which tells me I've written 16,000 lines of code. For an average C program, it estimates that this would take one person nearly 4 years to code, and cost a company around $500,000 to create.

I did it in one year.

I imagine this section is why people mention ego. Although I would also add that SlocCount has never been a good estimate of anything* and so advertising that it's an excellent estimate of the work you've done so far was the main reason I disregarded your kickstarter.

As your posting here I'll probably take another look as a dev that follows up peoples interest is a good sign imo, but really you want concrete showing what it can do examples to show how much work you've put in.

Edit: *anything useful I should say, obviously SlocCount is a good estimate of things like number of lines of code....
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:55:22 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 04:55:18 am »

Actually, I forgot this, but in the kickstarter there's a 44m youtube video of someone building a "frankkinship", which should be Frankenship. He shows the heat engine working, the voxel-based damage, organic regeneration and a few other things. There's already a fairly large amount of work.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 08:52:44 am »

Why would space-ship ramming be less effective than water-ship ramming?

It's very much like a head butt. when you first think about it, a head butt should hurt you as much as the other guy, then why does it hurt him more?
Because you are hitting the strong part of you head(the forehead) onto the soft parts of the other guy's head(nose and such).

And ramming ships, whether they are in space or on water, is the same principle, hit the soft part with a hard part.
This is usually done by ramming the front of the ship into the side of another, and has the added advantage of the front of the ship functioning like a knife.

And don't forget the advantage of ramming a large ship into a smaller one.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 08:54:10 am »

Actually, I forgot this, but in the kickstarter there's a 44m youtube video of someone building a "frankkinship", which should be Frankenship. He shows the heat engine working, the voxel-based damage, organic regeneration and a few other things. There's already a fairly large amount of work.

Yeah, I watched that vid, I think someone linked it in the old thread. I remember really liked the organic regeneration. Wasn't it a lobster ship? Currently, Scrumbleship is the horse I'd back in the great block based spaceship game race (this, blockade runner, notch's thingy, kinetic void (kinda) and possibly, since it's 2d, Captain Jameson). At least, those are the ones I'm aware of. Also that one with the planets and flying platform ships, whatever it was called. Truly, we are blessed to live in such times where there are so many of these being developed that I can't keep track of all the names. 

Anyway, basically just ptw, 'cos I cannot wait to make massive amounts of my free time disappear with magnificent spaceships I designed like a motherfucking rebel architect battling to the death, possibly against swarms of crustacean-themed organic craft. Soon wayward, soon. Just gotta hold on a little longer...   
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 09:43:03 am »

But the big question: Is it multiplayer?

Will the giant golden phallus of the future ever invade another player's tender, vulnerable hull?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 10:37:17 am »

Why would space-ship ramming be less effective than water-ship ramming?

It's very much like a head butt. when you first think about it, a head butt should hurt you as much as the other guy, then why does it hurt him more?
Because you are hitting the strong part of you head(the forehead) onto the soft parts of the other guy's head(nose and such).

And ramming ships, whether they are in space or on water, is the same principle, hit the soft part with a hard part.
This is usually done by ramming the front of the ship into the side of another, and has the added advantage of the front of the ship functioning like a knife.

And don't forget the advantage of ramming a large ship into a smaller one.
Spaceships operate on a much larger scale. There's no way to be out of range in space, so the victim ship can pummel your ship into oblivion before you even get near. Second is that things in space go much faster. When you collide with another ship at 10000 km/h. Things vaporize rather than be destroyed.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 10:54:37 am »

But the big question: Is it multiplayer?

Will the giant golden phallus of the future ever invade another player's tender, vulnerable hull?

Yes. It's in the Kickstarter page as something to be added yet. So no multiplayer just yet.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 11:13:10 am »

Which is a huge thing, since there's absolutely infinite amounts of data to send (like the temperatures and whatnot).

Is the architecture already in a client/server model, as MC changed it to?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 11:41:05 am »

Spaceships operate on a much larger scale. There's no way to be out of range in space, so the victim ship can pummel your ship into oblivion before you even get near. Second is that things in space go much faster. When you collide with another ship at 10000 km/h. Things vaporize rather than be destroyed.

While true in a head on collision, you are much more likely to be within the same gravity well, going the same direction. that means you can have low speed collisions because speed is relative.

Also add shields and all manner of si-fi magic and the fact that you will be firing the whole time too.

I'm not saying that ramming should be particularly effective, after all a head butt isn't really an effective move.
Shooting other ships with guns seem to be a better option. but you know there is gonna be this one guy that insists on building a ramming ship, probably involving magma somehow.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 12:05:42 pm »

I'm not saying that ramming should be particularly effective, after all a head butt isn't really an effective move.

Spoken like a man who's never been headbutted in the nose.

If you put a shield generator strong enough to simply smash whatever you ram your ship into, you don't have to worry about ship damage anyways.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 12:22:42 pm »

Spoken like a man who's never been headbutted in the nose.

If you put a shield generator strong enough to simply smash whatever you ram your ship into, you don't have to worry about ship damage anyways.

And by shield generator you are of course saying bits of garbage, scrap metal and previously conquered prisoners of war correct?
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6