Shipbuilding only
Smithing only
Mining and shipbuilding
Mining and smithing
Shipbuilding and smithing
All of the above
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 45

Author Topic: Feudalism Rethought  (Read 40521 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feudalism Rethought
« Reply #255 on: October 14, 2012, 10:56:39 pm »

What I want to know is where even 2,000 mercenaries can find employment from a single small fortress. If they were spread all throughout the kingdom I'd buy it, but, again, the nearest province is only 7,000 people, and they don't all live on your doorstep.

I know, I'll send people out to look for work and the like, and generally speaking most of the men will be out doing jobs, or hunting for them at least those without jobs at the fort. They're just gathered at the fort now, because they're finishing establishing it as the Band's base, I hope to have groups of men out roaming the land for/on jobs or scouting the border of the Wild North most of the time.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 14, 2012, 10:58:27 pm »

Adwarf what would it cost to buy your 50 heavy cavalry permanently?
Also how much would it cost to buy 100 light cavalry permanently and how much to rent those 2 forces for 1 year at a time.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:04:32 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2012, 11:08:33 pm »

Well, gold is pretty much just a trade good so it's worth what people will pay for it.
Let's say that one gold bar is worth 75 gold coins, on average, and can be forged into 100 by a properly licensed smith. Silver is worth, on average, 15 gold per bar and can be forged into 100 coins, each worth 20% of a gold coin. Finally, iron is worth, oh...10 gold per bar on average, and steel 20. One "unit" as defined earlier would be about 5 bars.
These prices will change once supply and demand come into play, but does everyone think they sound like good averages?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2012, 11:09:38 pm »

Sounds good to me.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2012, 11:09:59 pm »

Adwarf what would it cost to buy your 50 heavy cavalry permanently?
Also how much would it cost to buy 100 light cavalry permanently and how much to rent those 2 forces for 1 year at a time.
Permanently - They aren't for sale.

As for recruiting them the light cav, and hev cav for one year. You'd need to cover their food costs, and around 500 food worth in gold/weaponry/food.

@ GreatWyrm - Sounds fine with me.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2012, 11:14:46 pm »

Ok plan B it is.
No way I'm paying for all the supplies for the men for a year and also paying you enough to feed more then 3x as many men as I'm hiring as well.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 14, 2012, 11:15:20 pm »

I'd boost up the price of silver/gold and reduce its availability. An entire bar of the stuff should be worth much more.

@-adwarf: And what's the cost of hiring your spearmen and archers?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 14, 2012, 11:19:02 pm »

Again, there's a reason the numbers smell funny.

Alright...how about, for ease of stuff, I double the number of silver and gold coins you get from bars, reduce their values by half, and make iron and steel worth the same?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 14, 2012, 11:21:28 pm »

But steel is harder to make than iron. In fact it should probably be worth more. :P

Nah, it's good I guess.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 14, 2012, 11:23:22 pm »

20>10.
Sig

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 14, 2012, 11:25:23 pm »

I'd boost up the price of silver/gold and reduce its availability. An entire bar of the stuff should be worth much more.

@-adwarf: And what's the cost of hiring your spearmen and archers?
First year of hiring their services is to cover their food costs, and a vow to aid the Band in a future endeavor. All after that will be food costs, and additional depending on what they will face, or what you plan to use them for.

I agree steel should be on par with silver in cost IMO, but whatever is easiest I guess :P

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2012, 11:33:01 pm »

Hmm we'll see depending on how much raw material I begin with.
But could I lower the price if I provide the men with better equipment?
Im one of the only 2 people who has large access to raw materials and workers so I could upgrade the equipment of the men if your willing to lower the price of hiring those men.
I could provide you with iron chain mail armor for your militia so that they would be better able to stand in battle.
Would you be willing to sell horses?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:38:49 pm by mesor »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2012, 11:36:18 pm »

First year of hiring their services is to cover their food costs, and a vow to aid the Band in a future endeavor. All after that will be food costs, and additional depending on what they will face, or what you plan to use them for.

Obviously the Holy Order can only give aid provided that it does not interfere with their sworn vows. If you are fine with that, then the Knights will hire your services in the future.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2012, 11:37:41 pm »

Would the order be willing to sell horses?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2012, 11:39:13 pm »

Obviously the Holy Order can only give aid provided that it does not interfere with their sworn vows. If you are fine with that, then the Knights will hire your services in the future.
Of course that's perfectly fine with me, I'm sure I'll need some aid in a war against some horrid pagans soon enough.

Hmm we'll see depending on how much raw material I begin with.
But could I lower the price if I provide the men with better equipment?
Im one of the only 2 people who has large access to raw materials and workers so I could upgrade the equipment of the men if your willing to lower the price of hiring those men.
I could provide you with iron chain mail armor for your militia so that they would be better able to stand in battle.
As I said 500 units of food worth in gold/weapons/food. Price will get no lower, though it may get higher depending on what you use them for/casualties inflicted.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 45