Shipbuilding only
Smithing only
Mining and shipbuilding
Mining and smithing
Shipbuilding and smithing
All of the above
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 45

Author Topic: Feudalism Rethought  (Read 40467 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Feudalism Rethought
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2012, 05:10:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Presumably, the 4k are housekeepers? You remember when I mentioned that? Actually, that's still rather low...

Circle Census:

1,300 men
1,700 women

500 mages
450 scholars
20 lords/mayors/burghers
10 militia

300 farmers
500 builders
40 children
 The rest are peasants.
Looks okay. You could probably produce, oh, at least 1,000 or 1,500 units of food, depending on your relations with nearby nobles and how many of the peasants are full-time farmers.

I'd probably pay for someone like ansanton, in return for protection of course

anyway
17,000 people

8,000 men
4,000 Farmers
1,400 Miners
400 Woodcutters
1,000 Soilders
100 Blacksmiths
400 Builders
100 Armourers
100 Tanners
100 Bowyers
100 Masoners
300 Stone cutters

6,000 women
All women do houswork

3,000 children (so about 1,000 work)
400 farmers
300 miners
150 wood cutters
50 Blacksmith in training
50 Armourer in training
50 Bowyer in training
50 Masoner in training
50 Soilers in training

(I can always boost up the army temporairily with levy right? Say ages 16-30)
Also I'm going on Holiday for a week so I might not be able to post all that often
That's 4,400 farmers, so...crap, I should have put player next to fief to begin with. Ah, there you are. Um...there's only one area of good farmland, so only the first 2,500 farmers  will get full food production and the others, whether helping those 2,500 or farming less productive land will only make about half as much food, so that's 14,000 units of food for your 17,000 people. Not much to import.

Census of von Scliesen Lands:

25 000 total population Divided Among:

7 Counties, and a total of 20 baronies, held by either the family or locals who are more or less stuck supporting the family

300 trained knights

1000 men at arms (crossbowmen and pikemen mostly)

15000 farmers

2000 fishermen in the rivers

5000 assorted craftsmen

500 priests

1000 merchants

200 tax collectors, scribes and other civil servants
Again, any housekeepers?

1 500 population:
------[Food]------
->100 plant gatherers
->100 fishermen (in the little mountain rivers and ponds)
->100 hunters
------[War]-------
1000 Trained soldiers:
-> 400 Archers
-> 500 (Nagitana's? Naginatano?) (wo)men with naginata's
-> 100 Longswordsmen
------[Religon]----
-> 30 priests
------[Crafts]-----
-> 120 Metalsmiths
------[State]------
-> 30 scribes
-> 10 Tax colletors
-> 10 people of justice (judges,.....)
Since you've got a little rocky city in the mountains, I'll let the priests help out in households around the area charitably and have the rest covered by various off-duty officials and soldiers looking for a quick buck...copper? Anyways, since you're in the mountains your 300 food-getters can only get about 2-3 units apiece, which is 750 units total...you'll need to import half of your food.

Also, GWG, you forgot to update the first post.
So I did. Fixing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2012, 10:20:18 pm »

Housekeepers?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2012, 10:24:06 pm »

Also, this being the medieval era, most women will be housekeepers. You can have women work, but if less than, say, half of households have someone with enough time to take care of chores you're risking revolts, so the men will probably be most of the workers. I would have mentioned a caveat like this before, but I hadn't realised it until now. If you can't keep house, you won't be happy...
I have a feeling revolts will be a big thing at first...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2012, 11:02:57 pm »

Can I do a quick change? as in turning two hundred of the warriors into minor nobles and about twenty more into major nobles, the minor nobles would collect taxes, orginise the work, and be knights in times of war, and the major nobles would help me govern as well as be knights in times of war
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:06:59 pm by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2012, 06:17:23 am »

Sure, we haven't started yet so it's all modifiable.
Sig

Vonyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2012, 01:56:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Better?

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2012, 02:02:46 pm »

6000 is better but you realize you cant use them 6000 for anything?
You'd be better off putting say 5000 as housekeepers and picking roles for the rest rather then using a generic term.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2012, 03:53:28 pm »

6000 is better but you realize you cant use them 6000 for anything?
You'd be better off putting say 5000 as housekeepers and picking roles for the rest rather then using a generic term.
Agreed.

Vonyx, Assuming you don't pull any of your current farmers out of farming, your food surplus is 15,000 units.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:02:20 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 14, 2012, 02:01:59 pm »

Should we write out those who didn't reply with populations/didn't have good populations, make them NPC factions, or wait some more?
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2012, 02:04:08 pm »

Make them NPC factions.
Some NPC factions would actually be a good thing.
If things get quiet you can use NPC factions to get things going or add plot twists.
Some bandits and barbarian villages or pirate would all be good to add some depth to things.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2012, 02:17:41 pm »

Alright, then. Vonyx, are you OK with mesor's suggestion?

I'll draw up some population lists for the NPC factions, but for now Kedly, Tellemurius, and Vonyx need to discuss import/export agreements with mesor and deny.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2012, 02:27:26 pm »

Wyrm how much metal do I make from mining?
I need to know how much gold how much silver how much copper how much iron and that kinda thing so I can work out what I'm willing to export.
Im assuming my soldiers all begin with basic low quality equipment and I'll need to make better for them?
Can you PM me it?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:29:15 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2012, 02:47:43 pm »

Hm...well, I suppose that we should assign arbitrary units...let's say 1 unit of ore per week per miner (for iron, rarer ores would probably have lower yields), and that it takes...let's say 10 units of ore to make one unit of metal (iron, gold, whatever), and one unit of iron is enough to equip one soldier in iron armor and weapon. Obviously, iron would need to be refined to make steel; this would take one week by one metalworker to refine 5 units of iron into 5 units of steel. Do these numbers smell funny? Guess where I got them from. Everyone, let me know if you can think of more realistic ones.

mesor, do you want all of your miners mining for iron ore or do you want to try finding other ores, too?
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2012, 02:50:17 pm »

1450 miners.

1000 on iron.
225 on gold.
225 on silver.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:53:14 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2012, 02:53:02 pm »

Alright...
Silver is about as common as iron, let's say, but gold rarer, so you only get about 20% as much, varying on luck [probably rolling 3d6 and divining by 50, then multiplying the result byt the number of miners]. Fine?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 45