Shipbuilding only
Smithing only
Mining and shipbuilding
Mining and smithing
Shipbuilding and smithing
All of the above
None of the above

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45

Author Topic: Feudalism Rethought  (Read 40457 times)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Feudalism Rethought
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 04:53:24 am »

Where would you like to place your guild?
I have a nice old stone fort in my territory thats not inhabited that you could potentially use for a base if you want to make a deal.

I would like to graciously accept your offer.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 05:01:30 am »

Nice you'll have to add it to your fief description then just describe the fort how you want it and add that its the fort in my little kingdom and I edited mine to state that the fort is inhabited by your guild.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:03:06 am by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 06:17:37 am »

Nah, the thread is already dead. I created it out of nostalgia and was just trying to relive past glory by recreating something that was created spontaneously by the random postings of multiple forumgoers. I was not up to the task. Hopefully you'll do a better job than me.
Wow, pressure. Okay.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 06:37:28 am »

Hah i hope he's up to it to im gonna enjoy killing, maiming and otherwise taking control of this world through various painful means.
And now i have a guest living in my kingdom :).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 06:40:18 am »

Okay.

Keep in mind that most of the fiefs so far are mountainous and therefore have little ability to grow food. If someone makes an agricultural fief, they could become quite rich.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 06:43:21 am »

At the rate were going im gonna have to cut down a chunk of my forest to make farm land to supplement the food sources ive got already and the farm land i have within my wall already.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 09:41:53 am »

Well, hello guys. I believe I mentioned the Duchy of blahblahblah was mostly pastoral. Looks like I win.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vonyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 09:55:14 am »

I hope I am not too late!

"Duchy of Chedel"
Noble House von Chedel
Leader: Duke Heinrich von Chedel
Territory: Castle Chedel, City of Zernburg

The city of Zernburg, is a large city with its population of "a lot"* and is surrounded by a large square wall and a lot of land, perfect for agriculture and horse breeding.
(Castle Chedel is in the middle of the city)

But it is not only a city of trade in the middle of the kingdom, it is also rather well defended by its two* legions of "Red-Shield Legionnaires" and the Chedel Heavy Cavalry, well trained knights in heavy armor.

Heinrich von Chedel is a man in his early twenties, he assumed power in the duchy after his fathers death in an hunting accident.

* Numbers are to be changed according to the general balance.   

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 03:05:34 pm »

Well, hello guys. I believe I mentioned the Duchy of blahblahblah was mostly pastoral. Looks like I win.
Goody.

I hope I am not too late!

"Duchy of Chedel"
Noble House von Chedel
Leader: Duke Heinrich von Chedel
Territory: Castle Chedel, City of Zernburg

The city of Zernburg, is a large city with its population of "a lot"* and is surrounded by a large square wall and a lot of land, perfect for agriculture and horse breeding.
(Castle Chedel is in the middle of the city)

But it is not only a city of trade in the middle of the kingdom, it is also rather well defended by its two* legions of "Red-Shield Legionnaires" and the Chedel Heavy Cavalry, well trained knights in heavy armor.

Heinrich von Chedel is a man in his early twenties, he assumed power in the duchy after his fathers death in an hunting accident.

* Numbers are to be changed according to the general balance.   
Nah, you're fine.

-----

A note about food: A single farmer can only produce enough food to feed about four or five others without some sort of intensified agriculture, which requires labor, or else importing food. Yields for fishing in large, well-stocked waters are similar, hunting and gathering are notably lower--maybe two or three people per hunter/gatherer--and while pastoralism only makes three or four persons' worth of food, it also makes other stuff. These are guidelines that I will expand into rules if I must. In short, make sure you have enough farmers. I chatted with mesor about the professional demographics of his fief, and if this conflicts with that use this.
If you have some questions or corrections, please post them! I'm mostly making these numbers up. Oh, and remember that children usually don't work and that women tend to do housework. A farmer will feed his family first without sending any food to the army or nobility if he isn't forced to give up his meager crop to them, which provokes revolts...In short, be realistic. Once we have enough fiefs (I'll probably cut it off at eight or nine, ten definitely) I'll start making an official map and asking for numbers of farmers and stuff.

...Not sure if I made this clear, should I draw up rules for this kind of thing?
Sig

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 03:15:56 pm »

maybe, maybe not, i tagged my trades as the most valuable for my fief but that shouldn't mean its the only economy i have.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 03:16:46 pm »

Should we actually analyze the economies of our fiefs? That could be Fun.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 03:22:43 pm »

If you want to; mostly, we need to make sure every fief can feed its population and do all the things it needs to be done.
Tellemurius, I am sure you do have a larger economy.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »

Please try to be realistic in your fiefs aswell.
A lot of people seem to be making a fief that can do everything and has no weak point at all.
No nation in human history was that perfect so try to leave some weaknesses in your nation to keep it fair.

For example mine lacks any form of cavalry and has a limited amount of farming space so im going to need to spend a lot of time clearing out forest to add to my farming space.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 04:55:58 pm »

Oh, and about population: I'm probably going to give you no more than a few tens of thousands of people. Plan your plans accordingly.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2012, 05:03:49 pm »

How much is a few tens of thousands?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45