Shipbuilding only
Smithing only
Mining and shipbuilding
Mining and smithing
Shipbuilding and smithing
All of the above
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 45

Author Topic: Feudalism Rethought  (Read 40465 times)

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feudalism Rethought
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2012, 04:13:00 pm »

The order is not getting a thing from me until it has something to offer of equal value :).
I'm not religious sorry.

Hmm remove the trees from inside my wall and I'll have the farming land there.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »

I'll trade for food and protection with enchantments and research.

Is that okay?

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 14, 2012, 04:24:03 pm »

Thats fine your right outside my border as well.
I'll need to know how much food you need though.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »

Yea like your heavily armored army that has no access to metal or smiths unless you can find something to trade for it :).
So your entire armed force will be out classed by every person who has mines unless somebody should choose to give you better equipment :).
Of course, if the knightly orders actually have royal support, they'll probably have enough gear.

The Holy Order would have support from everybody, since they're approved by God and thus helping them would ensure that your soul gets into heaven, which is very important for your average person in the Middle Ages. In real life the nobles would be donating bits of land in their wills to the knightly orders to get into heaven, but I'd be happy if the royal family just supported me with money and arms, especially since I'm conquering annoying pagans in the name of God.

And are none of the knights married, or do they just leave their family behind in the villages they hailed from?

Obviously all the knights have to undertake a vow of chastity to join (sergeants are exempt, but they generally take one anyways out of general principles). Obviously if they already have wives they're still married, but they can't bring them to the fortress. Presumably their wives are either still back at their estates, or have taken lodgings at a nearby city to be close to their husbands. I'm assuming that the knights are exempt in some way from the housekeeping rule, due to their religious convictions and their oath of austerity. Plus the day's schedule has a time slot for chores, so the knights and sergeants keep the place clean, cook the meals etc.

The order is not getting a thing from me until it has something to offer of equal value :).
I'm not religious sorry.

Well everybody else is, and very fanatically so. Admittedly this isn't the Middle Ages, but when priests can paladins can do holy magic in your God's name, I'd imagine that your faith would get very strong very quickly. Hopefully you're religious enough to keep your throne.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2012, 04:31:18 pm »

1,750 units of food in exchange for 1,750 enchanted weapons.

All you need to do is give us the weapons and we'll enchant them for you, providing you give us food.

Also, the Circle is more rational than religious; they are working to release the power of the mind by researching the right blend of science and magic, which would require quite a bit of rationality.

As such, consider most of the Circle atheistic; some pay lip service to the gods, but that's it.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2012, 04:32:56 pm »

You realize that if you start trying to be a dictator by using magic your gonna get mobbed and die right?
Besides you ain't the only one with magic and your god won't stop me putting an arrow through you if you come near my land.

That's fine by me I think I'll start with the bows.
So when Mr holy turns up I can give him a special arrow.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2012, 04:34:32 pm »

You realize that if you start trying to be a dictator by using magic your gonna get mobbed and die right?
Besides you ain't the only one with magic and your god won't stop me putting an arrow through you if you come near my land.

That's fine by me I think I'll start with the bows.
So when Mr holy turns up I can give him a special arrow.

You have no idea how this whole knightly order thing works, do you?

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2012, 04:35:41 pm »

I do.
I also remember that I have to choose to support you.
Which I do not.
There is nothing that says I have to support you and if you become hostile to me I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna choose to help you attack me.

Hey Elf is he comes near our land smite his ass for me and I'll give you gold :P.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:39:02 pm by mesor »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2012, 04:39:15 pm »

We don't have a god...and anyway we're researchers, not fighters, why do you think we want protection?

Also, you're a monastic order going up against a noble house.
If you attempt to declare war on him, you'll probably end up like the Templars; burnt at the stake for heresy.

If stuff happens, please refrain from attacking the Circle, we do not want war, only science.

Sadly, we don't have too many combat mages. When we research blatant Persona ripoffs, we'll be able to fight more.

That's not going to be for a LOOONG while.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:41:04 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2012, 04:40:00 pm »

Also, you're a monastic order going up against a noble house.
If you attempt to declare war on him, you'll probably end up like the Templars; burnt at the stake for heresy.

He's not dabbling in dark magic or paganism, so why attack him? We have a sense of duty and honour.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2012, 04:40:50 pm »

Once we start up you can move some men to the fort in my land if you want Elf you'll be safe enough in the center of my land.

Good then I'm not gonna be supporting you and you wont be causing me problems :).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 14, 2012, 06:21:36 pm »

I'm not religious sorry.
This is feudal times. Best not say that too loudly...
Hey, I'm agnostic, too, but I'm trying to be vaguely historically accurate.

And are none of the knights married, or do they just leave their family behind in the villages they hailed from?
Obviously all the knights have to undertake a vow of chastity to join (sergeants are exempt, but they generally take one anyways out of general principles). Obviously if they already have wives they're still married, but they can't bring them to the fortress. Presumably their wives are either still back at their estates, or have taken lodgings at a nearby city to be close to their husbands. I'm assuming that the knights are exempt in some way from the housekeeping rule, due to their religious convictions and their oath of austerity. Plus the day's schedule has a time slot for chores, so the knights and sergeants keep the place clean, cook the meals etc.
That sounds fair.

I'm not religious sorry.
Well everybody else is, and very fanatically so. Admittedly this isn't the Middle Ages, but when priests can paladins can do holy magic in your God's name, I'd imagine that your faith would get very strong very quickly. Hopefully you're religious enough to keep your throne.
Hm, divine magic...I hadn't thought about that. Yeah, it exists, but I'll need to think some about the specifics (such as if it's divinely originated stuff or normal magic done by priests), but it'll be present, more peaceful (typically), and easier to find (relatively speaking) than non-divine magic.

1,750 units of food in exchange for 1,750 enchanted weapons.

All you need to do is give us the weapons and we'll enchant them for you, providing you give us food.

Also, the Circle is more rational than religious; they are working to release the power of the mind by researching the right blend of science and magic, which would require quite a bit of rationality.

As such, consider most of the Circle atheistic; some pay lip service to the gods, but that's it.
Sounds reasonable, but expect distrust from outsiders.
Anyone want to take Iamanelfcollaborator up on his offer?

I do.
I also remember that I have to choose to support you.
Which I do not.
There is nothing that says I have to support you and if you become hostile to me I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna choose to help you attack me.

Hey Elf is he comes near our land smite his ass for me and I'll give you gold :P.
If you have such an attitude against the knights, fine, but don't expect help in an invasion...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2012, 06:27:29 pm »

I'm taking in Elf we arranged it a while back when the whole who has what magic argument was going on.
Since we're right next to each other I have no magic he has some so I protect him and give him a safe haven and food and he gives me the services of his magic :).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 14, 2012, 06:29:07 pm »

Oh, my bad. The deal's acceptable to both, I take it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2012, 06:33:17 pm »

He set the terms :).
He gets sanctuary in my land for all he's people if he wants and I provide additional food to make up for he's lack of it.
I get his magic talents for my weapons and armor.

So I wont have magic but I will have magical equipment to even the playing field.

So yup both side's agree :).
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 45