Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A lot of steel  (Read 1313 times)

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
A lot of steel
« on: September 26, 2012, 09:48:32 am »

In my current fort, I am rolling in the good stuff: steel. Aside from the obvious, common uses (weapons, armor, trap weapons), what should I use it for?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: A lot of steel
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:59:30 am »

Since it's as valuable as gold, you can encrust invader clothes with it to boost their value and make them a product of your fortress (and, of course, buy caravans with them). Another thing to do is fully industrialize your forges. One forge can only make one thing at a time, but if that one thing is an anvil, then you can build another forge, which can make another anvil, and so forth. You could also make insanely valuable rooms for all of your dwarves out of steel.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:19:00 am »

A steel fortress?  Sounds incredibly...  not dwarfy but... humanish?  Should make the first ever dwarven skyscraper!  That's never been done, yes?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:37:30 am »

Steel coffins FTW!
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:15:25 am »

Steel coffins sound pretty dwarfy, so I'd definitely do that.  At least for nobles.

Otherwise, if you really can't think of much to do with it, I'd say some steel statues out front would be a way to show off your fort's wealth of steel.  "Aye, we've got enough o' th' stuff t'make statues 'o Urist nibblin' on cheese."
Through pain, I find wisdom.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:28:56 am »

Chains are good. Way better than cloth ropes for your wells/jails/etc.

Mechanisms too! Most valuable mechanisms you can make, iirc, so if you care about value, steel mechanisms are the way to go there.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 12:00:18 pm »

Steel sarcophagus + Dorf goes in ---> Magma ---> Steel sarcophagus comes out

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 01:43:29 pm »

Mechanisms too! Most valuable mechanisms you can make, iirc, so if you care about value, steel mechanisms are the way to go there.
Not counting Adamantine, anyways...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 06:16:57 pm »

Steel is magma-safe. Bring that magma up to the surface with a giant steel pump stack!
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:02:52 am »

I mass steel disk/spear weapons never enough traps

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:18:20 am »

I mass steel disk/spear weapons never enough traps
Sounds like hiding all that steel in traps is a waste when you can make an entire fortress out of the stuff.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:23:54 am »

Good ideas, all. The skyscraper is appealing, as are a multitude of steel sarcophogi. I am already pumping stell into my weapon traps, and a pump stack sounds fun.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 09:26:15 am »

Yeah when I have an abundance of steel I entomb all my dorfs in steel when they die and then flood the room with magma before sealing it away. I also tend to make all of my doors out of steel, and I try to get some thematic statues (which takes a while) of various heroic dwarves to line the tombs.