Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutting the bull  (Read 1823 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cutting the bull
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:29:35 am »

I have four Water Buffalo Bulls. Three of them are skinny and the last one is gigantic.

I want to butcher the three skinny ones, but how do I select those specific ones for butchering and not the gigantic ones?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting the bull
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 10:31:19 am »

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure this is in their preferences screen.  So 'v' key, target the victim for slaughter, then hit I think 'p' to go to the preferences screen then 's' to mark them for slaughter.  The butcher should take care of the rest for you.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:37:15 am »

there's no meat difference, is there?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:46:38 am »

From what I gather from the animal eugenics thread and the zombie bacon thread, bigger animals give more meat.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:49:10 am »

From what I gather from the animal eugenics thread and the zombie bacon thread, bigger animals give more meat.
This right here, though as attribute changes are percent based having more muscular/larger animals will give you a bigger bonus if you are using a naturally large creature (like water buffalo) as opposed to naturally small creatures (like rabbits).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:14:35 am »

Zombie bacon thread? Please, do enlighten me.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 11:29:32 am »

Maximizing slaughter gains

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 11:29:58 am »

I did some testing on elephants back in 31.25 and found that weight was a better indication of returns than description was. If Animal A is skinny and Animal B is muscular but Animal A weighs twice as much, then Animal A may give more meat simply through having more mass to go around. The differences will be less pronounced with a creature as relatively small as a water buffalo.

...You should probably butcher all four water buffalo anyway. Water buffalo need about a zillion times more space than sheep or goats, but they don't produce anywhere near a zillion times more food, leather, and craft materials. They're also horribly inefficient for any jobs that use stacks of bone instead of individual bones in a stack, but admittedly this doesn't come up often.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 11:32:46 am »

Maximizing slaughter gains
Thanks. I sometimes like to think of the Bay12 forums like a !!scientific journal!!, where the dwarfiest of dwarves publish their papers on !!science!! (and sometimes just science).
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 01:41:21 pm »

Thanks all.

I'm not seeing a preferences screen, but I'm going to slaughter them all.  This is my first time with water buffalo, and as Sutremaine suggested, their eating/space requirements are troublesome.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 03:48:42 pm »

I'm not seeing a preferences screen

It's not strictly a screen, but a section within View Unit mode - "v" to put the cursor in View mode (which should display "g:Gen i:Inv p:Prf w:Wnd z:St"), "p" to select the 'Prf' section (the one that normally contains the "Labor" and "Work Animals" options for Dwarves), then "s" to toggle "Ready for Slaughter", exactly as Telgin described.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.