Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Train fever - Can this be a worthy successor?!  (Read 7935 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Train fever - Can this be a worthy successor?!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 12:07:24 am »

So in other words, stick to OTTD, Simutrans, and RR Tycoon 3 then?

Nothing much has changed it seems.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 10:53:35 am »

After 6 hours:

+Randomly generated maps, purdy graphics, awesome soundtrack, detail eg. you can see people walking around and waiting at stops.
-Performance, passenger and cargo trains/stations are completely separate, no easy way to increase station size after placing, trains follow very specific routes and will only stop on the specifically chosen station line, only block signals.

Performance is an issue, I have a pretty decent pc and I get stutters every once in a while and especially when I zoom out. Disabling ambient occlusion went a long way to improve my performance though.

There's a bunch of little things that make it seem like they accidentally released the beta or something, such as signals not animating and citizens having numbers for names(especially odd because towns and even roads have random names).

Trains magically turning around in the station, that's not an issue for me since almost every train game I've ever played has that. As well as passengers that leave mid-route, I haven't had/noticed that.

Final verdict(so far): It's a good game, and it's already getting post-release support from the devs. But unless you're really into train games or if money isn't tight then I would say hold off and see if they can fix the performance issues because that is currently the biggest issue with this game.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 05:43:59 pm »

Trains magically turning around in the station, that's not an issue for me since almost every train game I've ever played has that.

OpenTTD lets you disallow that behavior, forcing you to ro-ro.

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 02:30:10 pm »

I read that there have been a lot of patches to this game to make it better and it's currently on sale on Steam. I love Transport Tycoon and Railroad Tycoon and would love to play a newer version of those sorts of things. Is this worthy after recent improvements?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 07:25:52 pm »

I read that there have been a lot of patches to this game to make it better and it's currently on sale on Steam. I love Transport Tycoon and Railroad Tycoon and would love to play a newer version of those sorts of things. Is this worthy after recent improvements?
If i follow your eagerness to play other game of the same type then yes, if you like the genre with the patch its worth it. It is similar yet different at the same time, if its on sale go for it! Im am sure you will get your money worth on fun.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 07:41:45 pm »

I'm always amazed by what's "new" these days...  Residential sectors don't like smog?  Sim City had that feature decades ago!  This is hardly advanced.  This is what we should be expecting de facto. (u see wut i did thar?)

It is because the days of simulators that are attempting to be simulators are gone.

As well the highly casual focused gaming means that games are becoming more and more simple in hopes that the dumbest of the dumb can complete their games.

THAT and it is also what I call "Creating a problem, and then making the fix a feature"

For example... I got a mouse for Christmas and honest to god the fact that it wasn't a wireless mouse was a feature.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 07:45:27 pm »

Excuse me, I missed that this was posted on 2012, edited the post because content is no longer relevant.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 07:47:41 pm by ventuswings »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 03:35:04 pm »

So this has, kinda, been re-released as Transport Fever. As far as I can tell it's the same engine but better graphics and now includes new transport modes, like aircraft. Balance reworked as well, but it didn't feel 'new' enough to warrant a separate thread. It looks basically like Train Fever with an expansion, rather than a new game.

Still, if you enjoyed it you may want to take a look.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 12:09:37 am »

I have yet to see any good rail signaling or ability to make side lines for passing.

Scenario: You have a full train. You want to add a couple cars to send back to pick up more goods. You send your train to the depot. All of its loads just disappear. POOF

OpenTTD is functionally better. THE END
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:29:59 pm by BigD145 »
Pages: 1 [2]