Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 244546 times)

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Architect - Version 1.0 Release!
« Reply #1440 on: December 02, 2015, 11:41:51 am »

Can I run what essentially amounts to a concentration camp, yet?

I remember in earlier versions that my biggest issue with the game was the fact that you HAD to take care of prisoners in a humane way. I have to be able to have people beaten to death or I can't sleep at night.

Seriously though. Mass executions for convicts who assault guards, beating prisoners who riot until they can't eat without a tube, etc. all good stuff. :D

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 02, 2015, 12:47:33 pm »

Free Fire. 
Locking convicts up in for example an empty yard, shower or even the holding cell is a fine way to piss em off eventually, despite suppression.
Basically set the ones up for execution in a separate security level and set their regime up to be placed at the shooting gallery.

Prisoners have to be the first to make trouble before you can shoot/beat em up.
Seriously though, there are no negatives to death by starvation.  You don't actually have to take care of them in a humane way.  You can treat them like garbage, but they won't take it quietly.

If you have the consequence thing on, you'd need to hit 50 deaths within 24 hour period before getting the warning.  After that, 5 deaths in 24 hours and you are in jail.

Infirmary, even set-up in a staff only zone, guards will take injured prisoners up there and I believe doctors will still come out on their own to heal.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 02, 2015, 07:06:08 pm »

Freefire like Zangi said. Put your prisoners to work chopping wood and making license plates. Give ridiculous punishments and not enough clothing, food, or toilets to go around. My last prison ended up as a similar hellhole.

If you leave your prisoners in solitary long enough they'll go mad and start beating on the doors, prompting your guards to beat the shit out of them.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 02, 2015, 07:09:31 pm »

I kind of thought the game was a bit too clean to the point where it felt disconnected from what sometimes goes on in real prisons (especially during some time periods). My idea was more about trying to find ways around the system because it benefits you not to follow the rules, and the rules ask you to ignore them... just like real life.

But this is kind of going waaaaay further then I ever wanted it to :P

Where is this Prison? Tropico? Actually that would alleviate all my concerns immediately if that was the excuse.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 02, 2015, 07:54:20 pm »

I kind of thought the game was a bit too clean to the point where it felt disconnected from what sometimes goes on in real prisons

Like physically? Or in terms of corruption?

I don't think the location is specified. Anyways, you can get pretty abusive with your prisoners. No one will remove you unless you lose control of your prison entirely or suffer 50(?) deaths in a day... Might be 20, actually. In my last prison, I was handing down 24-hours in solitary punishments. No toilets in those cells, it got pretty nasty towards the end... Prisoners would accumulate 60+ hours in solitary. I have one legendary character on permanent solitary confinement. Every few hours he tries to break down the door and the guards come beat him up. There are usually 10+ deaths every week, and the prisoners spend eight hours a day cleaning up all the blood spilled in the other 16. There are multiple beatings for infractions daily, and about half the needs are met. They'e all maxsec prisoners and the only reason they don't riot it because they're heavily segregated. I had one legendary who killed like 60+ guards. Brought in all the SWAT teams and armed guards I had. Death toll that day was probably ~150. In short, you can make your prison a hellhole if you want. Also, gangs are a thing now. So ya, snitches die on the first day usually.

EDIT: In fact, i'm trying to creating the most gruelling prison possible coming up next. That'll be fun!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:57:06 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 04, 2015, 01:40:54 pm »

Developers have said multiple times it's mostly based on a fictionalized (TV and Movie) United States prison system. Although as development went on, more and more research was done so it's probably often based on the real world as well. But they often said, as a new feature was added, "We wanted this cause of Shawshank Redemption." Or "We saw this in Oz."

Then of course everything is viewed through a UK mindset as well. So things like the death penalty mechanics are given a bit more drama than a US mind might give.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 04, 2015, 01:48:27 pm »

More along the lines of 'we think this is controversial', so we are making it cumbersome and annoying.  I have better ways to 'execute' prisoners anyways... and I can choose who for any number of petty reasons.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 04, 2015, 07:05:30 pm »

More along the lines of 'we think this is controversial', so we are making it cumbersome and annoying.  I have better ways to 'execute' prisoners anyways... and I can choose who for any number of petty reasons.

Personally, I think it's kind of useless. It's not a fun mechanic either, i'm too attached to my prisoners to kill them deliberately. All the fun is in keeping them contained.

Developers have said multiple times it's mostly based on a fictionalized (TV and Movie) United States prison system. Although as development went on, more and more research was done so it's probably often based on the real world as well. But they often said, as a new feature was added, "We wanted this cause of Shawshank Redemption." Or "We saw this in Oz."

Then of course everything is viewed through a UK mindset as well. So things like the death penalty mechanics are given a bit more drama than a US mind might give.

I'd like to see a lot of stuff added to enable us in the pursuit of making our prisoners miserable and corrupting the system, like the kind of stuff that goes down in Midnight Express.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 05, 2015, 05:52:53 am »

It really wasn't fictionalized Prisons very well either.

I think it was more the creator realized they couldn't pull it off so they changed their idea.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 18, 2015, 10:56:50 am »

WOMEN. (are now ingame as a prison setting, like wardens)

Also, more modding stuff.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 18, 2015, 11:07:53 am »

WOMEN. (are now ingame as a prison setting, like wardens)

Also, more modding stuff.

Do they have to remain separate from male prisoners like in ordinary prisons?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 18, 2015, 11:14:53 am »

You get male prisons and female prisons. Can't have both in one.

And the first 15 minutes or so of the video is hilariously cautious. They're tiptoeing so hard in order to avoid any accusations of soggy knees.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 18, 2015, 12:06:57 pm »

The concept of all female gangbangers is... new.   Also, will mother snitches get shanked?  I will find out.  (Havn't watched the video yet.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 18, 2015, 12:25:55 pm »

The concept of all female gangbangers is... new.   Also, will mother snitches get shanked?  I will find out.  (Havn't watched the video yet.)

While I know there are different trends in male and female criminals...

I can only assume that men and women are basically exactly the same and it is purely aesthetic.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 18, 2015, 12:30:29 pm »

They shuffled around the needs a bit, female prisoners do less damage when they fight, and also some of them have sprogs which have to be looked after with separate facilities.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 107