Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another Toady Praise  (Read 1974 times)

Starhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet another Toady Praise
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:49:07 am »

I post again after my (probably) 1000th fortress and must say, Bravo! This game has kept me coming back to it time and time again even with other more "graphical" games (EG Torchlight 2, diablo 3 etc)

I have no idea why this game literally calls to me when I don't play for a while...even after dieing by lava, hordes of necros, a dragon once...and by tantrum spirals, I still seem to come back to die again!

I have tried the other games that have been inspired by DF, but they still PALE IN COMPARISON...and sadly may forever...I only say sadly because I will admit I would love 3D or even better 2D for DF but that is a long dead conversation that I am not trying to bring up.

I still have yet to donate, but will do once I do have the cash to do so...This game could have had a price tag of 100$ and I would still buy it...

Just had to say all that....again...

Thanks!
Dwarf Fortress, a great game with an even better community!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Toady Praise
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:04:34 pm »

1000 fortresses? You've been busy. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 02:10:45 pm »

I have a theory about how you can measure one's (chemical) drugs addiction ratio based on how they are addicted to DF.

If you've tried at least 10 fortresses there is a very high chance you're addicted to it.
Then, it gets to the good ol' junkie situations:

1 - You can't go anywhere near it, or else you might have a turn and might never come back again. You think about your fortress, it's layout and your dwarves the whole day. You can't play it without fucking your life up. It's literally running all the time along with your operational system. You also use ASCII, and lots of personal mods made by yourself. You get withdrawal symptomns that last long after a few days (heavy drugs user).

2 - You use it often. You think about it a lot and you try to convince everyone around you that it's the best thing ever (you may give up after a while, but you still feel the urge to do so). It gives you a sense of fulfillment and joy, and it's not very hard to relate to people that are as addicted as you. Still, you feel it's quite time-consuming, but it's either not important enough for you to quit or you don't care much. May use ASCII or slightly modified vanilla DF. You may miss it, but it's not a real withdrawal symptomn (chronic light-drugs user, most notoriously weed/alcohol).

3 - You've tried to do it like the others, yet you're a little afraid or can't synthesize the most important aspects of it. You consider the most experienced users to be in an unreachable level of understanding but you still do it every now and then, most in different doses (Adventure mode) and you like to brag about it's use. You like the chatter about it but you often don't know about the most advanced aspects, but you still pretend you do. Uses Lazy Newb Pack and/or Forum Player (casual drug user, beer drinker and/or eventual smoker).

Anything else is a intermediary between 2 of those.

It could be polished but i consider it a nice sketch or theory project to say the least.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:21:03 pm by Wellincolin »
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

VNdoug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 03:03:02 pm »

3 - You've tried to do it like the others, yet you're a little afraid or can't synthesize the most important aspects of it. You consider the most experienced users to be in an unreachable level of understanding but you still do it every now and then, most in different doses (Adventure mode) and you like to brag about it's use. You like the chatter about it but you often don't know about the most advanced aspects, but you still pretend you do. Uses Lazy Newb Pack and/or Forum Player (casual drug user, beer drinker and/or eventual smoker).
I'm in this level, I think. I love DF, sometimes playing hours and hours, but I never got into adventure mode, never used burrows (the only time I tried, the  dwarf just stood there spamming a job cancellation), never built complex machinery, failed several times to build a simple atom smasher and I'll confess: I've never used magma.

Starhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 03:24:41 pm »

I've never used magma.

My god man how can you live with yourself?
Dwarf Fortress, a great game with an even better community!

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 04:49:48 pm »

I'm in this level, I think. I love DF, sometimes playing hours and hours, but I never got into adventure mode, never used burrows (the only time I tried, the  dwarf just stood there spamming a job cancellation), never built complex machinery, failed several times to build a simple atom smasher and I'll confess: I've never used magma.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, this is most "players" level. Without exaggeration, half of the forum users don't play DF anymore or do it sporadically. Actually, I think most people are here for the stories and just to amuse over how DF can be awesome. I know it is extremely pleasing (albeit, in times, extremely frustrating) to see and read awesome stories, like Boatmurdered, and you don't even need to PLAY to understand it's awesomeness. It's just funny events happening in a game that is so complex that even without graphics, it's much easier than most games to imagine it in a real situation.

Dwarf Fortress is a safe drug, though!kind of It also works like IRL drugs, so the more you take it, the higher your chance to get addicted and evolve to Tier 2 or 1, or the mentioned intermediates!

Also, yeah, if you didn't use magma yet you didn't play Dwarf Fortress, you're playing Midget Elves Fortress. I strongly recommend you put it as your main objective starting from now, just use magma forges. You'll probably go up to Tier 2 by then.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:53:12 pm by Wellincolin »
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 05:02:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, this is most "players" level. Without exaggeration, half of the forum users don't play DF anymore or do it sporadically. Actually, I think most people are here for the stories and just to amuse over how DF can be awesome. I know it is extremely pleasing (albeit, in times, extremely frustrating) to see and read awesome stories, like Boatmurdered, and you don't even need to PLAY to understand it's awesomeness. It's just funny events happening in a game that is so complex that even without graphics, it's much easier than most games to imagine it in a real situation.

Dwarf Fortress is a safe drug, though!kind of It also works like IRL drugs, so the more you take it, the higher your chance to get addicted and evolve to Tier 2 or 1, or the mentioned intermediates!

Also, yeah, if you didn't use magma yet you didn't play Dwarf Fortress, you're playing Midget Elves Fortress. I strongly recommend you put it as your main objective starting from now, just use magma forges. You'll probably go up to Tier 2 by then.
This comment depresses me. Its just not true. Theres too many damn new things appearing all the time. I REFUSE to believe it. Yeah, I can do that. Watch me.

EDIT: I'm between 1 and 2, alot closer to 2. I play often, and I would play even more so, But I'd never accomplish anything at all.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:24:57 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 05:33:38 pm »

Im inbetween levels 2 and 3. Should i be worried?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 06:35:33 pm »

Without exaggeration, half of the forum users don't play DF anymore or do it sporadically. Actually, I think most people are here for the stories and just to amuse over how DF can be awesome. I know it is extremely pleasing (albeit, in times, extremely frustrating) to see and read awesome stories, like Boatmurdered, and you don't even need to PLAY to understand it's awesomeness. It's just funny events happening in a game that is so complex that even without graphics, it's much easier than most games to imagine it in a real situation.
I strongly agree with Misko on this. I'm between levels 1 and 2. I'm currently playing a somewhat-modded version of the game (my own mods) (it's open right now) (parentheses bubble FTW), and most of the people I've talked to play fortress mode pretty often, too. I do agree with the above bolded text, however.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

VNdoug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 05:11:51 pm »

Thanks for this hint. I built magma forges, furnaces and smelters, and a few walls to protect the blacksmiths from magma crabs.
I built a pump stack and I'm almost finished with powering it.
On the first candy tile I dug, there was a Fun Fortress. (not circus)
Can I safely dig the remaining candy without releasing the circus?