Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Trees, man.  (Read 35601 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Trees, man.
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:04:46 am »

What do you guys think about them? More wood per tree? Woodcutters getting crushed by felled trees? Snags? Ambushes from above? Elven assassins? Weaponization?

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trees, man.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:18:55 am »

All of the above sound fun.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:21:19 am »

> Woodcutters getting crushed by felled trees

Definitely.

I think we may also have to consider new forms of arboreal habitation mega projects. This seems incredibly incredibly undwarfy, but... Its there.. 

Weaponization - holly crap can you imagine setting fire to that O_O.

perhaps structurally supported trees which can be collapsed by lever?

Pity they don't bend or anything, would be fun to make massive sling shots with them. Err, for the life of me I can't think of anything other than making lots of fiddly little passage ways all along the tree tops and getting adventurers stuck in them.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:39:47 am »

Yeah, those trees look crazy! It'll be interesting how they're implemented.
Think that's how ALL trees will be? Or just special elf enhanced trees?
Wonder if in adventure mode you can just walk through an elf village, cutting down trees and the elfs fall out like apples falling from a tree. Ah man, that'd be fantastic, a gosh, that would be great.

DNK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:49:23 am »

So, if the trees grow and you build on them, what happens to the construction when they grow again?

I really hope all trees get this treatment. It's a bit unrealistic that every tree in the world is about 4 feet tall...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:57:45 am »

Wonder if in adventure mode you can just walk through an elf village, cutting down trees and the elfs fall out like apples falling from a tree. Ah man, that'd be fantastic, a gosh, that would be great.

Those are normal trees. Elf enhanced trees should be bigger.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 11:21:38 am »

Woodcutters have a chance of suffering minor to moderate injuries while woodcutting the chance falls with each level
Small animals inside trees may be disturbed and attack the woodcutter
A workshop that can process trees into wooden planks which can be used as building material
Trees can be farmed for lumber and a permanent supply of fruit

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 11:37:52 am »

I hope elves will siege from the treetops from now on.

Those are normal trees. Elf enhanced trees should be bigger.

WANT A BIGGER TR33? ENHANCE YOUR TR33 WITH OUR LOW-PRICE FERTILISER
[Signature]

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 11:43:52 am »

One may question how "dwarfy" it is to be so excited over something as elven as enhanced trees. However, one should consider what we're planning to do with said trees...
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 11:49:43 am »

Yeah I love that. But I also thought about woodcutters. Additionally - will trees grow so big from saplings in fortress mode too?

I can imagine a puma hiding in the tree. Or elf. Or giant badger.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 11:52:22 am »

One may question how "dwarfy" it is to be so excited over something as elven as enhanced trees. However, one should consider what we're planning to do with said trees...
The real reason to be excited about multi-tile trees?

He's also doing proper giant mushrooms.

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 12:43:57 pm »

The trees look awesome, I just hope the symbols change for the trunks.  Right now it just looks like a ton of constructed wooden walls that didn't merge right.  I wonder if the old command for tree cutting will still work, and how the game will compensate for the tree being so dang huge.  It would be cool if we could get widow makers when cutting down trees.  Like the trunk is fully cut, but the branches are tangled together and the tree is just floating there and could fall at any time.  "Urist, climb the big floating tree and cut the branches down that are tangled up..."
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 12:51:51 pm »

We're getting fruit! Finally I can have my modded orchardists go from having to process all the wood in my fortress to actually harvesting fruit!

Also climbing! Hopefully that will let us harvest these trees in ways that don't involve the total annihilation of the lumberjack. On a side note who here is taking bets that one of the major bugs in this next version is woodcutters chopping down trees in the wrong order and crushing themselves? :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 12:55:05 pm »

We're getting fruit! Finally I can have my modded orchardists go from having to process all the wood in my fortress to actually harvesting fruit!

Also climbing! Hopefully that will let us harvest these trees in ways that don't involve the total annihilation of the lumberjack. On a side note who here is taking bets that one of the major bugs in this next version is woodcutters chopping down trees in the wrong order and crushing themselves? :P
I'm /hoping/ that he will implement it in such a way that, when 'chopped', a tree 'falls' away from the woodcutter but must then still be chopped up into usable logs. So it would become a sort of horizontal version of its standing self and can then be chopped up or just becomes items ready to be hauled away.

What will probably happen is that you will have to 'chop' a tree down from the top down, or do it in such a way that you can remove support in a safe manner.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:59:00 pm »

What will probably happen is that you will have to 'chop' a tree down from the top down, or do it in such a way that you can remove support in a safe manner.

There's simply no way Toady would leave the game like that, even if it takes him a month to sort out proper tree-falling physics and effects :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15