Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Trees, man.  (Read 35600 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Trees, man.
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2012, 07:01:29 am »

That's JUST what we need.  A mambo line of vomiting tree creatures leaving a multi-colored trail of ~'s across the field of battle!

Note to self:  Find out what colors Tree-variant Man vomit come in.
Amber of course!
what about fossilized amber? can we play Jurassic Dwarf now? lol!!!
Fossilized amber is treeman poo

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2012, 11:31:55 pm »

That's JUST what we need.  A mambo line of vomiting tree creatures leaving a multi-colored trail of ~'s across the field of battle!

Amber of course!
what if the tree-man contracted a diarrhea-inducing syndrome?

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2012, 01:58:46 am »

Amber of course!

Your fort will drown in the orange sea.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2012, 04:22:02 am »

Amber of course!
That's where maple syrup comes from.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2012, 12:42:05 pm »

Amber of course!
That's where maple syrup comes from.
I call rule 34: http://xkcd.com/398/
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2012, 01:42:01 pm »

Would it be possible to make elf-bone trees?

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2012, 03:49:48 pm »

All I thought of was apples.

Then I thought of apple cider (Yum!)

Then I thought of Apple Jack.  (for those who have never had this its apple cider thats been fermented properly)

I'm Thirsty now.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2012, 04:48:11 pm »

What do you guys think about them? More wood per tree? Woodcutters getting crushed by felled trees? Snags? Ambushes from above? Elven assassins? Weaponization?

I think no. Its like:
"Here we go, time to start up this fortress!"
*Dwarf cuts down trees to start, one crushes him, dies.*
"...Why, Armok? WHY DO YOU TORMENT ME?!"

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2012, 10:10:58 pm »

What do you guys think about them? More wood per tree? Woodcutters getting crushed by felled trees? Snags? Ambushes from above? Elven assassins? Weaponization?

I think no. Its like:

You just made me think of something. Since trees fall kinda like a horizontal cave in, what happens if you build a wall in a way to stop the tree falling? will it end up like a minecraft tree? deconstruct the wall? Implode? I have a feeling this will need bug-fixing some point after release.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:41 am »

I think no. Its like:

You just made me think of something. Since trees fall kinda like a horizontal cave in, what happens if you build a wall in a way to stop the tree falling? will it end up like a minecraft tree? deconstruct the wall? Implode? I have a feeling this will need bug-fixing some point after release.

There won't be an animation for falling trees, but I'm assuming there will be a direction when I get there.  There'll probably have to be trouble, but it would be silly to have a too-dangerous-to-use lumber industry.  Perhaps dwarves that are unqualified won't check the space where the tree falls, even if the targets have a chance to dodge, but we'll see how it ends up.  I imagine after the tree falls it'll just be separate logs.  Later we might have more processing, but I don't want to go on an nth-level detour just yet.  I talk a bit in the coppicing answer about whether there will be one tile tree mining, but I don't really know.  Probably.  Felling of trees shouldn't working like that though, since it would look sort of unrealistic and silly.  Not sure about creatures on the tree...  perhaps they'll just be thrown in the direction of the fall.

So I can imagine that, basically, the tree doesn't fall, but its pieces sort of just end up in the fallen position as usable logs. If the tree falls onto a wall then logs spawn on the wall, if you can see what I mean.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #190 on: October 20, 2012, 10:05:16 am »

I think what is likely to occur when you chop down a tree is that it will drop logs where weak branches are, you can collect leaves and seeds and saplings as well, along with the fruits. As for the main stem of the tree, it will turn into a construction according to the vertical profile in the direction it falls, and would need to be deconstructed to collect the logs from it. After all, a sufficiently large enough tree would be hard to get over, even when collapsed, and should register as a wall due to it's girth. Especially if climbing will be considered as a mechanic in the game update.

EDIT:
This gets me thinking, if such a mechanic can be applied to trees, then would a fix for the drawbridges make them no longer quantum-compact when retracted vertically (a 10-long compacting into 1-Z height; if applied, when retracted, will become a 10-Z tall wall.)? Hmm... That will add much more challenge to future constructions, as well as a few tweaks to construction methods (can anyone say quick forge/casting mold?), if such a fix is in place while improving the new tree dynamics.

Just as well, could (stone) pillars, especially as a single cohesive carved out block, rather than constructions, (since constructions are made 1-Z at a time (Makes quarrying more interesting)) then collapse in a similar format, as if you were knocking down a Greco-Roman pillar construction or a rock-wall quarry? Basically, it would work like the trees, natural carved out stone would follow tree dynamics, whereas a multi-tiered constructed pillar would deconstruct into it's base materials and falling damage will still count, like the tree branches would behave, but the layout will still follow profile since it toppled over, except as it's base components (blocks and boulders, whereas solid wall will still be solid wall).

Counting falling damage from objects, and so on, as well as my proposed game mechanic, can anyone say the Leaning Tower of Pisa can now be weaponized?

What do you think about this idea? A bit overkill, or sufficiently dwarfy?

For fun with this, obsidian-cast a solid block, and stem to hold it, and have yourself a giant obsidian mallet to crush your enemies like a colossal Whack-a-Mole game. Producing the cast mold should be much simpler to make using tall drawbridges, if the rest of my post is also implemented.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:50:41 am by Itnetlolor »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2012, 01:47:37 am »

Do you think that goblins will try to jump into the fortress, using the highest trees around ? (For example I think of a hatch surrounded by walls
)
And will they fail, sometimes ?
(that would be fun)
Will this capacity limited to "intelligents" creatures ?

I don't remember having seen these informations, yet.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 22, 2012, 06:18:54 pm »

Quite simply, clear cut trees to a safe distance around your walls.  Build overhanging ledges over your walls.  Abuse thier pathfinding mechanics.

If/when we get wall busting seiges, I plan on having them 3 layers thick with one space between layers.  There will be periodic breaks in the middle wall, to make a perfectly viable path, if long, around each piece to get to the inner wall.  The floor will be lined with traps.  Not insta kills, but bleeders, to avoid jamming traps, and avoid stopping squads when leader dies prematurely.  And, it will be filled with water.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 23, 2012, 12:59:51 pm »

[size=78%]We need a mod that makes people marry their siblings and begin with ADAM and EVE continuous to CAIN and ABEL and SET, and  having CAIN tantruming with ABEL locked into a room... or better, getting macabre mood...[/size]

You rang?

Curse you, Third Son of Adam and Eve! By my name, I curse you as the third son of the third son of Noah who is your descendant! (now, if anyone knows anything about religious fairy tale's they would know my last name at least :P )
wasn't there a SETH on the Christian fairy tales? also think there was another Seth in the Egyptian fairy tales, you know the dog faced mutant god of the underworld or something like that... maybe they are the same!!  :o

"All of Adam and Eve's children were born as twins, but only Set was left alone", so maybe he killed his twin... But I write it SET because SETH reminds rather of the Egyptian one.

Wat? When I learned it, SET was the name of the Egyptian god. Short for Settekh, even. Which, admittedly, is basically the same word as Hebrew Seth. Still, the H should be on the biblical one.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2012, 12:55:21 am »

[size=78%]We need a mod that makes people marry their siblings and begin with ADAM and EVE continuous to CAIN and ABEL and SET, and  having CAIN tantruming with ABEL locked into a room... or better, getting macabre mood...[/size]

You rang?

Curse you, Third Son of Adam and Eve! By my name, I curse you as the third son of the third son of Noah who is your descendant! (now, if anyone knows anything about religious fairy tale's they would know my last name at least :P )
wasn't there a SETH on the Christian fairy tales? also think there was another Seth in the Egyptian fairy tales, you know the dog faced mutant god of the underworld or something like that... maybe they are the same!!  :o

"All of Adam and Eve's children were born as twins, but only Set was left alone", so maybe he killed his twin... But I write it SET because SETH reminds rather of the Egyptian one.

Wat? When I learned it, SET was the name of the Egyptian god. Short for Settekh, even. Which, admittedly, is basically the same word as Hebrew Seth. Still, the H should be on the biblical one.
I'm inclined to agree. Hs in the Bible are often used to denote God having something to do with that person, e.g.: Seth, Abraham. But as far as Egypt goes, I have no clue. My knowledge of Ancient Egypt covers nothing except a mental picture of some Pharaoh saying, "See those pyramids over there, slaves? No? Well, go build them!"
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15