Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: In the apocalypse, would your home region survive?  (Read 12937 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: In the apocalypse, would your home region survive?
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:44 am »

1632 by Eric Flint is a book about a small region of West Virginia in the late 90's being cut out and put into Germany in 1632. Anyone familiar with this time period in Germany should realize that it basically amounts to being placed inside the apocalypse.

It's not only free to read, I think anyone interested in this type of thing should read it. It gets fairly "WOO AMERKA" in places, but other than that I like it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2012, 11:58:37 am »

Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2012, 01:12:59 pm »

Missouri: Rather screwed.

Most likely. The area I live in is terrible for farming. You get about six inches of soil then rock the rest of the way. Also, the hilly terrain and thick foliage would cause some pretty severe issues for the small amount of regionals that survive. Again, also, the high amount of bible-thumping, ancient super-Christians around here would die out within weeks because no one would be producing their precious precious medications, leaving the population highly depleted and mostly consisting of methheads, cops, and very few 'young' people. Also, like ninety percent of the people here are hideously fat, like big plump bipedal pigs. Combine that with the methheads, and probably half the population is going to die of some sort of health complications quite quickly without doctors around.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2012, 01:30:07 pm »

In post-apocalyptic Missouri, the methheads are the doctors, silly. An entire economy forms based on the now-legal drugs that will be distributed by the theocracy formed by the ancient bible-thumpers. That's how Missouri becomes capitol of this brave new world.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »

In post-apocalyptic Missouri, the methheads are the doctors, silly. An entire economy forms based on the now-legal drugs that will be distributed by the theocracy formed by the ancient bible-thumpers. That's how Missouri becomes capitol of this brave new world.

Oh my god. I never thought someone could make me think this place could be worse, but you just did.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2012, 01:34:11 pm »

Oh my god. I never thought someone could make me think this place could be worse, but you just did.
Come survive the apocalypse in Michigan, Hans!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2012, 01:35:20 pm »

Come survive the apocalypse in Michigan, Hans!

As soon as I am no longer legally obligated to stay in Missouri, I may do just that.
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2012, 01:37:02 pm »

We have beautiful wilderness, decent cities (Grand Rapids, Lansing,) and the meth is mostly contained to trailer parks and crackhouses.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2012, 01:38:23 pm »

We have beautiful wilderness, decent cities (Grand Rapids, Lansing,) and the meth is mostly contained to trailer parks and crackhouses.

Where it belongs! I'm in.
He's fucking with us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2012, 01:58:39 pm »

Come to Ontario!

I don't think we even have meth...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2012, 06:17:50 pm »

Re: Michigan:

We also have a couple good universities with a lot of people, including rentals (aka foreign exchange students)

Lesse, I've got a few personal scenarios. I currently reside in the Keweenaw peninsula (AKA where all the precious minerals reside) in the UP. The population of the UP consists of Yoopers and Michigan Tech students with a marginal degree of overlap. With the loss of all government regulations, it is suddenly hunting season all year. The deer (and other game) population of the Upper Peninsula is quickly exterminated as the hunters move out, stopping only to sell meat and buy ammunition. Eventually, the dearth of game drives the hunters into Wisconsin, the Lower Peninsula, Northern Ontario, and Minnesota. Thus begins the re-colonization of the world. Meanwhile, the folks who aren't hunting are heading south to get a better agricultural base, where winter is less than half the year.

If it's by home, then the southeastern quarter would be in a shithole. Sure, we'd have the

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2012, 12:59:00 am »

Come to Ontario!

I cannot comprehend how fortunate you are for never having met a methhead.

Imagine someone with leprosy. Now they also have some sort of highly intense dental disorder. And they're ADHD, hyperactive, and never sleep. Also, super paranoid and highly violent.
And really, really goddamned annoying. They talk ALL THE FRAKKING TIME.
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2012, 01:05:39 am »

Come to Ontario!

Imagine someone with leprosy. Now they also have some sort of highly intense dental disorder. And they're ADHD, hyperactive, and never sleep. Also, super paranoid and highly violent.
I am indeed lucky.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »

Come to Ontario!

You forgot totally oversexed in batshit way, training to be a nurse I recently got shown a guy in an observation/isolation room in a hospital out of his mind on ice (aussie eqiv of meth) after attacking staff and himself he was put in the room, he then proceeded to whack off for 5 hours straight.  While shouting alot about the government.  Also, the room has an entire wall that is unbreakable glass (observation) so it wasnt like the guy was on private time or anything.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9