Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: In the apocalypse, would your home region survive?  (Read 12968 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: In the apocalypse, would your home region survive?
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2012, 06:05:23 am »

Belarus

Pros:
  • Belarusians aren't the type of people to go into "STEAL & KILL" mode in case of a major disaster (we won't immediately collapse into anarchy)
  • An authoritarian and relatively non-corrupt government (at least there will be some kind of order, I think)
  • Relatively calm climate.
  • Enough farming space to achieve self-sufficiency.
  • Good infrastructure.

Cons:
  • Lack of energy resources, such as oil, natural gas and coal (without Russia, things will get very difficult)
  • Lack of energy resources for the production of electricity (besides peat). If the apocalypse happens after 2025, things will be
  • much easier (the Astravets nuclear power plant is scheduled to be fully operational by that point)
  • Lack of any other natural resources.
  • Our manufacturing industry severely depends on imported parts from the former USSR.

After the apocalypse, the Belarusian liberal opposition will surely blame President Lukashenko for the disaster: "The disappearance of all other countries is another horrible crime of the totalitarian regime, hurr durr!".
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2012, 06:26:00 am »

You forget the part where you can just waltz into *insert country here* and take all their shit. Of course there'd be the problem of who would do the actual work, but I guess everybody has their unemployed that could do that. Provided it doesn't take some crazy qualifications or something.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2012, 06:48:10 am »

*cracks fingers*

Okey-dokey lets get to work.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia.

Pros

Infrastructure
-Lots of warehouses in multiple areas. Everything from scrap metal and junked cars to trucks and other useful goodies. These should last until expansion brings us extra minerals.
-If anarchy ensues after event, then many easily defendible locations to hole up in until it dies down (e.g. AAMI stadium or several of the larger buildings in the city).

Environment
-Incredibly easy to get around. Most roads are quite wide and almost all tunnels are built to accomodate trucks.
-Low level of pollution.
-Close to ocean so water source.
-Great soil for vegetation.
-Lots of space for expansion.
-Many animals in surrounding area. If very few people survive the anarchy, then hunting might be enough to feed the population.
-Decent natural ports.
-Surrounding region (outside the Adelaide Hills, which incidentally, make a great natural defense) is mostly farmland, and infrastructure exists to easily produce enough food for the population.
-Adelaide Hills may be suitable for wind turbines.

Population
-Large number of people posess handyman skills. Quite a lot of tradies down here.
-A lot of farmers and older people wo retired from being farmers to teach the younger generation.

Cons
-Large elderly population compared to other cities.
-No easily accessable infrastructure for power generation.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:17:30 am by Gamerlord »

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2012, 07:12:14 am »

Yeah, I'm just lucky to live in a cold area where almost all gas and power is generated in-province. It regularly gets to "your nose hairs freeze together" temperature (-25 Celsius, although -35 happens at least one per winter) so nobody would care too much if it was winter when this happened.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2012, 11:26:40 am »

Also forgot the wildlife is trying to kill you too.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2012, 01:52:35 pm »

oh yeah. for everything the world has, Australia 1-ups it with a venomous version that may as well be doing steroids.
Poisonous bears? Poisonous hamsters? Poisonous great white sharks?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2012, 02:12:25 pm »

oh yeah. for everything the world has, Australia 1-ups it with a venomous version that may as well be doing steroids.
Not in the tropics it doesn't. Then again, I kinda suspect Australia and Indo-China trade each other poisonous creatures like pokemon cards, and the nastiest ones are all called Charizard...

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2012, 02:32:29 pm »

Poisonous just means "it's poisonous if you eat it". The word for a creature that can actually use its poison without being eaten is, as greatorder clearly knows because he lives in Australia, "venomous".
My wooden badge was delicious.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2012, 02:34:17 pm »

Poisonous just means "it's poisonous if you eat it". The word for a creature that can actually use its poison without being eaten is, as greatorder clearly knows because he lives in Australia, "venomous".
Relevant.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2012, 06:38:55 pm »

Lower Mainland BC:

Pros: 
- Lots of decent farmland
- Fishing
- Fresh water
- Weed
- Lots of natural resources to exploit to the north and east.
- Temperate climate.

Cons:
- Coffee shortage would ruin our hipster culture.
- A lot of our tourism/computing/office work type jobs wouldn't be needed, giving us a shortage of labour and skills.

Hmm.  There is probably a lot more cons that I can think of right now, but I think all and all we'd be in a pretty good state.  Food and temperate climate counts for a lot.  Our biggest problem would be getting people to switch from white-collar jobs to blue-collar jobs before we starve to death.

I live around here too and would like to add that we have a few reputable universities, which, even if the school structure collapsed, would mean that we actually have people who understand how all of our technology works and so we could rebuild. There's also a nice hydroelectric dam 30 km away from Vancouver.
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2012, 07:52:05 pm »

Rural south eastern ontario.

My main worry in the apocalypse would be other people, so if the situation is that everyone else is just gone I'll be more than cozy.
The soil around here is plenty fertile enough and I live in a redneck neighbourhood as current, meaning I have access to any sort of tool you can imagine for maintaining systems that I need, up-to and including paving roads and flushing sewer lines.  :P
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2012, 10:28:16 pm »

I live around here too and would like to add that we have a few reputable universities, which, even if the school structure collapsed, would mean that we actually have people who understand how all of our technology works and so we could rebuild. There's also a nice hydroelectric dam 30 km away from Vancouver.
You to, eh? When the End hits, all of us Lower Mainland B12ers should bunker up together.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2012, 12:39:30 am »

You to, eh? When the End hits, all of us Lower Mainland B12ers should bunker up together.
I'm in.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2012, 12:41:04 am »

I'm in.
'

Wouldn't you be causing it?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2012, 01:53:24 am »

I'm in.
'

Wouldn't you be causing it?
...Pay no attention to him, everybody, he's delusional again. *hefts blunderbuss loaded with silver bullets* Right?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9