Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Where friendships go to die. Bay12 Diplomacy  (Read 5165 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Where friendships go to die. Bay12 Diplomacy
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:56:27 am »

The time has come to revive a long standing series of games, which has driven the people of the forum at eachothers throats like no other.
Welcome to Diplomacy, a game of tactics, negotiation and deception.

Diplomacy players by their very nature are a political and argumentative lot who have always made more noise than their numbers would warrant, and more often than not they would refer to wargames in the past tense: “Oh, I used to play those until I discovered Diplomacy.

What is Diplomacy?

Diplomacy is a strategic wargame, created in 1954. Set during the first world war, 7 players take the rolls of the 7 big european players during that time, england, france, germany, italy, austria, russia and turkey. The game is entirely based around strategy and negotiation, not a bit of luck is involved. Units have no stats, all of them are equal in strength. Due to that, the game focuses heavily on an element almost completely devoid in any other game of this nature. Negotiaton.

No player has the means to win the game by his own power, yet there can be only one winner. Alliances must be forged, and broken. Trust must be gained, moves coordinated, and all of it under the looming dread of paranoia.

Diplomacy is a game for the scheming, with a strong will to win, and the will to do what it takes to win. Under no circumstances is it a game for people who are easily offended and hold grudges easily, because nothing upsets the game balance as much as a player who can not keep a cold head. Flexibility is key, because the one who backstabbed you just a turn ago might be the one you need to cooperate with the very next turn. A fight to the last man, where everything is allowed, and only the strong willed will make it.

How does one play Diplomacy ?

The map is divided into a plethora of regions, 34 of which are marked as supply centers.  Whomever is first to claim 18 of these supply centers wins.

The game has two kinds of turns, spring, and autumn. In spring, each player can create new units in his core-supply centers (the one he started with), to a maximum amount of units equal to how many supply centers he has. In autumn, if one of your units occupies a supply center at the end of the turn, the supply center is captured.

There are two types of units, armies and fleets. Armies can only move over land. Fleets can only move over sea, and through costal regions, but not further inland.

Each unit has 4 basic types of action.

Hold - The army does not move. Hurrah, nothing was accomplished, but nothing has changed either. Has a strength of 1

Move - The army attempts to move to a neighbouring region, has the strength of 1. If there is a unit in the region you want to move to, or another unit is trying to move to that region, the one with the higher strength wins, at equal strength, both units will stay where they are

Support move - the meat of the moves. Raises the strength of a moving unit by 1. If another unit attempts to move into the region where the support comes from, the support is canceled. You can only support moves into regions that you could move into.

Support hold - raises the strength of a unit that is NOT moving by 1. Same rules as above apply.

additionaly to that, fleets can attempt to convoy armies over the sea. such convoys can be linked over several squares. a convoy only works if the strength of the moving unit is high enough, as if it was a regular move. the convoy is disrupted if the convoying fleet is attacked by a unit strong enough to beat it, but not if the fleets strength is equal to the attack.

retreat - after a unit was attacked by a strong enough attack, it will be dislodged. if there are empty regions it could move to, it may. if there are no regions to move to, or if you simply decide to, it will disband, and may be rebuild next spring (if you still have enough support centers at that time)

complete rules, with nice pictures to make things easier to understand can be found here:

http://www.webdiplomacy.net/intro.php

And where are we going to play ?

For convenience reasons, we will be playing on webdiplomacy.net

signing up is free, and you get no spam mail from that website, there's no problem

once signed up, go here:

http://www.webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=100254

password is "urist" with no "

Innitial time to join up is 24 hours, turn-time is 24 hours.

note that 24 hours is the maximum time. when you have already decided on your moves, then please have the decency to press the finalize button, because if all players have finalized, the game will move on, no need to keep everyone waiting.

looking forward to the game

for additional reading, visit
http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/
the greatest archive of strategies and general advice. it can make the difference in a battle between life and death to be well informed
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:58:00 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Where friendships go to die. Bay12 Diplomacy
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:03:09 am »

Yay. As much as I hate plugs of other sites, Diplomacy justifies it.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:07:57 am »

welcome to the game then
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:23:18 am »

"Bet to join"? Really?

Actually wait, the site requires people to bet? Really?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:25:53 am by Dariush »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:27:39 am »

the bet is just points, used for an in-site ranking system

there is no money involved, the points dont mean anything, unless you want to stay on that site and enlarge your e-peen

you start with 100 points when you sign up, and they can never drop under 100 unless you have bet them all on ongoing games.

there is no reason not to bet them

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 11:18:07 am »

Edit: Nevermind.

Looking forward to this.
I need to put something interesting here.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 11:19:58 am »

once 4 more players have joined the game, it will start. you will then have 24 hours to communicate with eachother and enter moves with buttons appearing below the map

all you need to play the game is provided by the website

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 11:29:20 am »

I'll join this, seems like it'll be intresting.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 11:38:27 am »

So everyone who loses their first game for a normal bet and then another game for a smaller bet will be effectively locked out of everything. Who the fuck could think that this is a good idea as opposed to the sane concept of stuff like ladders, number of wins, time spent playing and such for matchmaking? Especially considering that this whole uber-epic system falls to pieces if some pro decides to ohIdunno create a game with a small bet that anyone can join? Seriously, I cannot grasp the very concept of a non-autistic person thinking this whole 'points' crap is a good idea. I mean, WHY?!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 11:45:19 am »

no, if you lose this game, your points will be restored to 100, and you can continue

all you are locked out of is games with a bet higher than 100. usualy players set bets so high to avoid noobs entering the game

also, the game is not set in favour of pros, if all other players are noobs

they call it the "big-poopy" syndrome. players see another player with a loads of points, or who gained fame in tournaments, and will immediatly rush him

the simple suggestion "he's the most dangerous, we should get him first" is a very strong one, putting the pro in a bad spot against noobs.

only works against noobs though, because everyone with a hint of experience soon learns that one should choose targets based on the situation on the map, the ongoing negotiations, and your actual goals.

in that case, a player making such a suggestion sets himself up to be fucked. the other player will obviously answer "sure, lets get him" and then instead, attack you, in an alliance with the pro, who is angry at the dude who attacked him. meanwhile, the one who attacked him suddenly grows pale, knowing the one who thought would support him, did not.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 11:54:15 am »

And that, Class, is both World Wars in a nutshell.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 12:03:56 pm »

And that, Class, is both World Wars in a nutshell.
Uh... are you sure? I don't remember neither any major pro/noob dissociation (unless you count colonies and such, but screw 'em) nor any major backstabbing (unless you count Soviets and Nazis betraying each other over Poland, but that's the only one I remember). Now, Napoleonic wars would be a much better example.

Entire Europe: "Let's go kick France's ass!"
Napoleon: "No."
Napoleon wins! Fatality!
Repeat x4 or however much, I'm not up on my history

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 12:17:23 pm »

WWI: It was pretty much Germany leading the assault in Europe, France, Britain, Canada, etc are trying to hold them off, therefore, "Big Poopy."

Especially when the Germans withdrew their forces from Russia.

"a player making such a suggestion sets himself up to be fucked."

Which is what Germany did with the Zimmerman telegram, etc.

Meh.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:19:04 pm by Gamerboy4life »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 12:30:40 pm »

yeah, but germany back then was rather strong, compared to other nations. in diplomacy, all nations start with the same power

roughly, the map is divided into two pairs of 3. by the end of the first few turns, usualy one of each tripled will be dead

italy is a wildcard here. playing as italy is hard, very hard, but it has tremendous influence over the course of the game

also, hurry up guys, only 2 spots left. wait too long, and all spots might be gone

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 12:51:55 pm »

Anyways, I want France.

J'aime Paris beaucoup. =)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5