Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Making a forum game RP?  (Read 6604 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Making a forum game RP?
« on: September 22, 2012, 09:01:21 pm »

So this is kind of an odd one, but meh.

Specifically: The question is how to make a forum game on 12 bay. I guess to keep it simple, it could be about .... beings making a new home (dwarves?) The idea being that it might be some sort of roleplay for a couple of people. Heavy on customization and RP?

Generally: I guess I just don't get the "forum game" thing. Not entirely sure how to make one the best possible (no matter what type of thing it would be). It's something I haven't done a whole lot of and I'm curious about it.

Suggestions? Ideas?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Making a forum game RP?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:07:24 pm »

What type of game would this be? If it's an empire manager, then you'll probably have to work out some game mechanics (don't tell the players) and yeah. Games generally start with some background info (A cataclysm gas destroyed dorf civilization, and you seven are the only survivors. You've scrounged up some supplies, but have to decide where you wish to resettle. There is: A, B, and C. But before all that, who are you?) An example like that wouldn't be an empire manager, but if you're doing an adventure game, then that's a (bad) template. But listen more to the veterans; I'm a novice myself.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:15:57 pm »

Not entirely sure what kinda game it would be. I guess the idea might be something to the effect of "You're a dwarf building a new place, you have X skills." Repeat that for the other players. Again, not entirely sure, just sorta throwing something out there.

The idea of a backstory is also clearly important, point noted. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »

If you're actually a starting forum game GM, I would say go for it. Just go. Maybe read a few games before or not, but the most important thing is to test out your skills, limits, what's fun and not, etc. One of the games I have in my sig right now (the second one) was my main intro to forum games, and it's almost unrecognizable when comparing the then to the now.

I guess also: don't have very high expectations. It's a learning process like any skill, so something a little simpler would probably give you more time to learn before the inevitable crash and burn.

But you're a great writer so there's that. I look forward to reading what you make.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:18:21 pm »

If you're actually a starting forum game GM, I would say go for it. Just go. Maybe read a few games before or not, but the most important thing is to test out your skills, limits, what's fun and not, etc. One of the games I have in my sig right now (the second one) was my main intro to forum games, and it's almost unrecognizable when comparing the then to the now.

I guess also: don't have very high expectations. It's a learning process like any skill, so something a little simpler would probably give you more time to learn before the inevitable crash and burn.
All this.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:57:21 pm »

Suggestions? Ideas?

This thread might possibly contain useful information about what not to do.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 11:05:38 pm »

I wrote a bunch on whether or not you should bother with mechanics, but fuck it, I have no idea what I am talking about. My biggest bit of advice is this:

Games around here are assumed to be first come first serve unless otherwise stated. So if you just want a small but good group you should not do that. If you want to be small but good, I suggest you have people write a backstory and pick your players on writing skill. Generally speaking a higher quality backstory will equal a higher quality player.

Also if you are going to go the route that you mentioned of the setting being "U r dorfs. Make fort." You are definitely going to want to, even if you have a gmpc, control the world and make events happen. Not to mention hurry slow bits along.
Your players are almost certainly going to slow down and run out of things to do and get bogged down in stupid things, so you are going to need to make events happen and rush along slow bits.

You are going to need to think about if you want it to be a turn based thing, where people submit actions that you process, or if it is just going to be a play as you go with most actions just being processed by the players that submit them. The second way of doing things promotes a bit more RPing I think, but it really does lessen your control and makes it harder for you to move the story along.

I hope that rambling structureless pile helped. Good luck.

Edit: Oh. Also. There is a okayish chance your first attempt will be a steaming pile of failure. Unless you are very confident, you miiiight want to not use your A list story ideas at first. That way if it fails you can use them later in a different game.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:11:56 pm by Criptfeind »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:24:56 pm »

I've been meaning to get back into forum games, but I made a promise I wouldn't host anymore. But I don't enjoy playing.

And you provide a solution to my dilemma! I CAN MENTOR YOU OR SOMETHING!!!

It will be so much fun! (and I've generally enjoyed dual-hosted games with what amounts to an accessory host. Helps prevent burnout and keep things original. I imagine this would have similar benefits.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:52:45 pm by GlyphGryph »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 11:36:07 pm »

Yeah right.

More advice: Don't accept offers to co-gm. (This is not always the case, but you will know when the time to co-gm is right, and it is almost certainly not now.)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 11:52:24 pm »

Not gonna co-gm, didn't say I was. Gonna help and advise. Someone to talk over game ideas with and point out potential flaws or make suggestions.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 11:53:43 pm »

Just accepting help in general is a pretty fucking slippery slope that I am seriously advising against.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 11:56:10 pm »

Then we shall agree to disagree.  I suppose a large part of it depends on what sort of game you're doing, though - the more straight-up creative and less mechanical, the less benefit help offers for a beginner.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 02:36:58 am »

This is an odd one.

In general, I'd echo freeformschooler's advice that when in doubt, just go for it. Practice makes perfect, and all. Plus, sometimes the only way to figure out what you're after is to actually see it in action.

More specifically, I tend to go for more mechanical, less RP-y games, so my expertise is of somewhat limited use here, but I can offer a few suggestions.

First of all, if possible, I'd suggest getting a default resolution mechanic that covers every possibility. This can be as simple as "the GM makes something up" or "attribute check using whatever's closest to relevant," and it can be overridden whenever necessary, but having something in place for those things you never thought of can be handy. Trust me, players will get weird.

Secondly, try to have concrete mechanics in place for things that really matter. Lacking clear, hard numbers is an invitation for something to either not matter at all, or be too vague for players to really understand the consequences of.

Third, just spend some time considering what you want to happen or how you want certain things to work, and figure out how the mechanics or GMing style should reflect that. Actions that give loot or experience tend to be more intrinsically rewarding than those that don't, for instance, so you'll tend to see behaviors leaning in those directions where there's a difference.

Hope this helps.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 02:38:58 am »

I'll invite you to my next one, Truean. I can't guarantee an immediate play spot, because those will be random, but yeah.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 02:43:17 am »

If you made one, I would like to be in on it. I suspect it would attract a certain group of B12'ers who I would enjoy playing with.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6