Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spare Animals from dumb merchants. What to do w/ 'em?  (Read 876 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Spare Animals from dumb merchants. What to do w/ 'em?
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:45:41 pm »

As a result of my winged dwarf test, my dwarf caravans are idiots who fly in and dump their goods and pack animals by the map edge. I can't buy anything from them, as they just show up at the depot with no goods and usually the pack animals end up slaughtered.  My dwarves then go grab all the merchant goods, which is well and dandy, except I can't use the caged animals they bring.

These caged animals are stuck in my animal stockpile, but are listed as (merchant). I can't send them to a pit to fall to their death, I can't train them, they just take up extra space.

Any ideas on how to properly "claim" them to use?

Alternatively, any ideas on how to kill em off?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spare Animals from dumb merchants. What to do w/ 'em?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:07:05 pm »

Try melting their cages.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:09:41 pm »

Afaik they will turn into tamed after sometime.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:13:48 pm »

This.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:25:33 pm »

I'm having this exact problem. A human merchant glitched into the side of my moat trying to drive a wagon through it, and now I have 5 animals in my stockpile I can't do anything with.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:26:55 pm »

Build the cages. Release them. Kill them, space cat. Kill them all.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:41:32 pm »

If you can kill the entire caravan the animals will revert to your control. Not sure how it works out if some of them escape alive, since I only ever do this with the elves and am very thorough.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:09:31 pm »

If you can kill the entire caravan the animals will revert to your control. Not sure how it works out if some of them escape alive, since I only ever do this with the elves and am very thorough.
Its not really a question of throughness. Its what, 4 elves? Not that hard. Try killing a human caravan and see what occurs.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 11:41:23 pm »

Yeah, I noticed the animals I got from the last dwarf caravan came under the fort's control soon after the caravan left.  The animals from the first elf caravan are still consider merchant goods, but I think that's because I still have some mad elves hanging out in our trade depot. Apparently they didn't like getting sealed in.

I'll see what happens to the elf caravan's animals after I kill the last mad elf.

EDIT: Yep, it worked. I guess AnnualHates' trading policy will revolve around slaughtering every caravan that arrives... except for our dwarves of course. They'll just get ditched to the goblins. Kind of a fitting policy, since traders arrive annually to AnnualHates, and the name does sound rather xenophobic. What would traders expect?  :P
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:49:41 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _