Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The New Math Help Thread  (Read 5366 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: The New Math Help Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 09:35:41 pm »

Yeah. With these types of questions you always just set up SA and Volume equations and take the derivative of the non-defined one, and set it equal to zero and solve. Easy marks on your test.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 09:52:44 pm »

take the derivative
on a quiz in Precalculus
He may have difficulties with that.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 10:25:42 pm »

take the derivative
on a quiz in Precalculus
He may have difficulties with that.
I could probably do it, but it would more than likely be counted wrong because we just started limits on Friday. I never thought of doing it like that though, it could be useful, especially next semester when I take calculus.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 01:20:45 am »

It's not just the derivative that tells you where the extrema is.  ;) Fermat's theorem.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 05:06:42 pm »

A math thread on bay12 starting at the same time as my studies in geography, where we also have to do math about which I've no idea?

I love you. Expect many questions in the future.

Edit: Except a friend of mine got hold of the official solutions.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:58:59 am by chewie »

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 08:48:14 pm »

A friend of mine has a math problem. She needs to figure out how deep a state would be in corn, based on a certain number of bushels. She was told to take the volume of the bushels over the area of the state, or
lwh/lw

The area of the state is in square miles but the volume of the bushel is in inches cubed. Does she need to convert the square miles into square inches, and if so what exactly would you multiply by?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 08:58:22 pm »

Or convert the volume into cubic miles, yeah. Otherwise you'd end up with an answer that had units in3/mi2, which isn't terribly useful. 1 mile is 63360 inches, so a mi2 is (63360 in)2=4014489600 in2.

Fortunately, WolframAlpha is already extremely useful for this kind of calculation.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:01:01 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 09:15:29 pm »

Or convert the volume into cubic miles, yeah. Otherwise you'd end up with an answer that had units in3/mi2, which isn't terribly useful. 1 mile is 63360 inches, so a mi2 is (63360 in)2=4014489600 in2.

Fortunately, WolframAlpha is already extremely useful for this kind of calculation.
Ah thanks. I got the answer by plugging the area and total volume into WolframAlpha, but she needed to show her work. I didn't know you could just plug that last bit into WolframAlpha, so thank you for that.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 12:39:40 pm »

A fun little problem.

There are solutions in the comments, so I'll just copy it here in hard to read plaintext.

Prove that;

(1/2)(3/4)(5/6)...(99/100) < 1/10

Using only middle school mathematics and in only a couple of lines.

Then prove the same for < 1/11 and < 1/12

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 05:46:13 am »

A fun little problem.

There are solutions in the comments, so I'll just copy it here in hard to read plaintext.

Prove that;

(1/2)(3/4)(5/6)...(99/100) < 1/10

Using only middle school mathematics and in only a couple of lines.

Then prove the same for < 1/11 and < 1/12

I remember doing this in 8th grade for <1/10. A trivial modification of removing first few terms in the additional construct and a few resulting inequalities will give <20/220, <7/80 (slightly easier result) and <40/480.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:10:13 am by Another »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 07:07:30 pm »

I have a screenshot here from Maple TA (a software that I have to use for calculus quizzes). Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 07:09:14 pm »

Acceleration is the second derivative of position (with respect to time), not the first.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 07:18:20 pm »

Dammit.

I keep doing dumb shit like this, and I really need to cut it out.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2012, 08:52:43 pm »

Question about transfinite ordinals.

I am aware that you can order the ordinal numbers like so:

0, 1, 2, 3...ω, ω+1, ω+2...ω·2, ω·2+1...ω·3...ω·4...ω2... (followed eventually by ϵ0 and its ilk of course)

In this sequence, any given number is the order of everything before it. So, 0 is preceded by nothing; order of 0. {0} has one member, so the order of that set is 1. All the natural numbers have no final member, so their order is ω. Follow up the natural numbers with a one-member set {x} at the end and you get ω+1. And so on and so forth.

Now, multiplication and addition with ordinals is not quite like with natural numbers. Specifically, ω+1 is its own little ordinal number, being the order of the set {0, 1, 2...x}, where x is just something hanging out at the end. However, 1+ω is...equal to ω, because {x, 0, 1, 2...} just gets renumbered to {0, 1, 2, 3...}; no final member, therefore ordinal number ω.

Now, though, let's look at multiplication. ω·2 is the order of something like this: {0, 1, 2, 3...a, b, c...}. But 2·ω is equal to ω. This isn't making any sense to me because if you take the natural numbers and then put a set of order ω before it, like this... {0, 1, 2...} -> {a, b, c...0, 1, 2...}

wouldn't this just reorder to a set of ω·2?

What am I doing wrong here?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:05:24 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 05:26:40 am »

For certain formal definition of "equal" 2*ω=ω. If that definition does not fully coincide with intuitive definition - that is a problem with intuition.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4