Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The two doctors leave Bioware  (Read 9025 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The two doctors leave Bioware
« on: September 22, 2012, 07:33:28 pm »

Greg and Ray have retired from EA/Bioware.

article

It's worth following the links to their own farewell blogs.

I love many of the games they've worked on, and wish them the best in their luxury retirement  ;D   But for the life of me I will never understand why they sold Bioware to EA.  I assume, and hope, that they cleaned up, because if they didn't get anything from the sale then no one did!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:36:05 pm by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The two doctors leave Bioware
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »

EA came and ruined everything.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:57:49 pm »

EA came and ruined everything.
Exactly. They take a good company, run it to the ground with pointless, terrible sequels, ruin the reputations of good games, and then use that money to take more good companys. Fuck EA.  >:(

This video basically sums up of what EA basically does.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 10:12:26 pm »

Bioware had just as much of a hand in the ruination of Bioware as EA did.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 10:24:11 pm »

They are just rats leaving from the sinking ship that is the HMS Tortanic
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »

Seriously, who the hell thought that making a massive MMO on a half-finished game engine was a good idea? I know EA can be stingy, but god damn.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »

If high-level EA personel are jumping from the burning building instead of continuing to repair the facade, it's a great day for the whole gaming community.
Good luck and absolution to the brave souls who quit, and a fart in the general direction of EA! ;D

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:59:30 pm »

Seriously, who the hell thought that making a massive MMO on a half-finished game engine was a good idea? I know EA can be stingy, but god damn.

The engine wouldn't have mattered if the game was at least half-compotently designed.

And AFAIK the choice to use HeroEngine was entirely down to a man called Gordon Walton, who was general manager at Bioware Austin for the development of TOR, and friends with the HeroEngine developers. So EA isn't really to blame for that one. This is from a post on the Heroblog where they talk about how their engine was chosen for TOR... Before it came out and they started badmouthing the Bioware guys coding abilities.

If high-level EA personel are jumping from the burning building instead of continuing to repair the facade, it's a great day for the whole gaming community.
Good luck and absolution to the brave souls who quit, and a fart in the general direction of EA! ;D

These aren't EA personnel, they're two of the three Bioware founders.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 11:04:18 pm »

Which is now a subsidiary, right? Or was I misinformed? It's sad they are being ran into the ground, but doesn't Bioware make most of the worthwhile games EA publishes? If they fall apart, EA will have to crack the whip all the harder on the other studios, and eventually they will fall apart too, leading to the colapse of EA, hopefully.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 11:04:34 pm »

I can't imagine the engine had no effect on the final product. It was four years before final!

If I were part of EA I'd at least bring up the wisdom of using such an engine.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 01:03:00 am »

Stingy? They spend between 200 to 500 million on the damn thing.

It's actually funny that they made a less in depth game than SWG, It's funny really. What I do know is that someone, somewhere, made shittons of money from this. That person is probably George Lucas who is probably doing horrible, unspeakable things with that money.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 01:05:32 am »

Don't be ridiculous. George Lucas is a myth invented by Macedonian gypsies to confuse and scare small children.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 01:15:12 am »

Don't be ridiculous. George Lucas is a myth invented by Macedonian gypsies to confuse and scare small children.

No, he's real, and he's using that money to ruin your childhood

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 01:23:16 am »

No, he's real, and he's using that money to ruin your childhood
No....No, that's not true.....that's impossible! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 02:37:08 am »

Which is now a subsidiary, right? Or was I misinformed? It's sad they are being ran into the ground, but doesn't Bioware make most of the worthwhile games EA publishes? If they fall apart, EA will have to crack the whip all the harder on the other studios, and eventually they will fall apart too, leading to the colapse of EA, hopefully.
Though we can all pray for the eventual collapse of EA, sadly the legions of screaming fans of american football, european football, and many other sports, combined with the practical monopoly EA has on the sports videogame market has placed EA at nigh Blizzard levels of untouchability. I mean they have practically reached the point where they can take their exact same "Football 2011" game, throw new players/stats in, maybe add a "new" feature or two, retitle it "Football 2012", and still sell millions of copies.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4