Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should you be required to have a valid, government-issued ID to vote?

Yes
- 12 (20.3%)
Maybe/Depends
- 5 (8.5%)
No
- 42 (71.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Voter ID required: do you support this?  (Read 6317 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Voter ID required: do you support this?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2012, 09:44:40 pm »

Another problem is that it will apparently cause lots of problems for women.

Students, minorities, the poor, women....

How very strange that the GOP wants this so bad and it would just so happen to keep strongly Democratic demographics from voting more than anyone else.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 09:58:42 pm »

You need proof of age to register to vote.

All you need to do to register to vote is fill out a form.  The Election Board does not need to see your ID to know what your age is, they already have the information from the SSA and Census Bureau.

Have you never registered to vote?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2012, 10:07:16 pm »

You do not need a photo id to register to vote.  I don't know about everywhere but the places I've been a registration volunteer all allowed registration by mail.

It's really not hard to imagine voter id laws keeping .5% of people from voting.  These are people for whom getting an ID is an all day endeavor and they don't need an ID for any other purpose.  It's not a minor inconvenience, it's a BFD.

You need proof of age to register to vote. Not just anybody can vote, convicted felons also cannot vote, citizens under 18 years of age cannot vote. So a birth certificate might do in place of an ID card, I suppose, but there must be a vetting process for every voter. An ID card requirement is an easy enough vetting requirement.
Only national elections. Local depends on laws. Moreover, convicted felons also tend to vote democrat.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2012, 10:10:17 pm »

Well yeah. The GOP would probably be executing all the convicted felons if they had total control.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2012, 10:22:34 pm »

Well yeah. The GOP would probably be executing all the convicted felons if they had total control.

Well, at least that would solve one of the issues with photo ID requirements to vote.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:55 pm »

Well, at least that would solve one of the issues with photo ID requirements to vote.
All of them, actually. Voting isn't allowed in the United Republic of Jesus.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 10:31:06 pm »

Someone might have been playing too much liberal crime squad, but the thought is true. It is generally conservatives who resrict voting right.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 10:35:20 pm »

That's a bit alarmist. In the United Republic of Jesus, you'd still beable to vote, just for the candidate with views the most reflecting the 'family values' you believe in and national security issues that involve invading other countries. Jesus was sort of liberal in his own times and it'd be incorrect to adhere to his own ideals and methods in this new age of Terror and whatnot.

Anyways. It is the Leftists arguing for national ID's.

This entire controversy could be ended with free national ID's. Poor people have the time to get something that is for free, including ID cards.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:37:51 pm by Montague »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 10:38:56 pm »

The left's minor support for national ID is nothing compared to how hard the right has been pushing for voter ID law.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 10:42:04 pm »

That's a bit alarmist. In the United Republic of Jesus, you'd still beable to vote, just for the candidate with views the most reflecting the 'family values' you believe in and national security issues that involve invading other countries. Jesus was sort of liberal in his own times and it'd be incorrect to adhere to his own ideals and methods in this new age of Terror and whatnot.

This entire controversy could be ended with free national ID's. Poor people have the time to get something that is for free, including ID cards.
I'm sorry. you still appear to be living in a place where people enjoy copious amounts of buearacracy. When you live in americe, please rejoin the conversation.

I'd like to see a national poll of this issue. I don't know if this reflects accurately. All I know about non-GOP efforts include "true-the-vote" the resident voter suppresion group, heavily funded by conservative groups.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 08:52:19 pm »

I don't see how the fringe left calling for national ID's is part of the debate.  Nor do I see any laws going up demanding people to get national ID's like we are seeing for Voter ID laws.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 01:15:00 pm »

Maybe they should try asking people if they are committing voting fraud. It's what we do here in Australia, so it must be effective, right?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 01:34:22 pm »

Sorry for reposting from the American Electioon thread, but it's relevant:

Republicans look for voter fraud, find little

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 04:09:28 pm »

Sorry for reposting from the American Electioon thread, but it's relevant:

Republicans look for voter fraud, find little
There was A Front Page New York Times Article with that very subject.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 04:13:05 pm »

Maybe they should try asking people if they are committing voting fraud. It's what we do here in Australia, so it must be effective, right?

You'd be surprised.  When engaged in illicit behavior that is unfamiliar the simplest questioning will really rattle people.  Given the high level of shame associated with election fraud you could probably stop most people that way... were it not for the fact that most cases of voter fraud involved people who didn't know they were in fact casting an illegitimate vote.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4