Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Good Earth - An Apothecary RtD - Day Two  (Read 6320 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Good Earth - An Apothecary RtD - Day Two
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:16:00 am »

This game is being Co-GMed by both me and Skyrunner. Yeah. Moving on.

The Good Earth - An Apothecary RtD

In the small region of Ceres, there lies a city, known as Erista. It is a renowned business center, home to many masters of brewing and concoting mysterious potions and elixirs, said to cure afflictions, grant benedictions, break traditions and make you rhyme badly from time to time.

In such a flourishing place, where small business grow in the nick of a few months into highly-profitable establishments, many people try to learn how to deal with the herbs and their effects, ultimately becoming a highly-respected apothecary. Many people who already possess patches of land inside and around Erista know full-well about it, and make money by renting said patches to enterprising people, young and old, many of foreign lands.

The amount of patch-renters is somewhat limited, but not exactly lacking, which provides a good balance in the market. Problems arise when there is also the need for labs when the despossessed beginner apothecaries lack even the most basic of equipment, being forced once again to rent what is needed for them to start learning their new source of income.

After a while searching for a place to install yourselves, your small group finally found a reasonable place and invested part of your coins into renting patches where to cultivate your herbs and try to make coin.

Each one of you has 50 silver coins to spend in herbs to start going and 3 patches of land to cultivate; the rent for the patches is collected every month. Either you succeed or you fall, you're going to either pay the owner, and if you amass enough cash, buy your own patches.

The rest goes this way: 10 for each patch, totalizing 30 coins, and 30 for the lab you use, making it 60 coins per month to be paid.

Taking six players, a small bio (no longer than three lines) is necessary and affects whether you enter or not the game.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fertilizers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Misc.Items (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Potion-making (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:56:43 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Earth - An Apothecary RtD
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 02:16:39 am »

FAQ:

-Each turn is equivalent to one day, but you can perform two actions.
-Using one action, you can prepare several flasks with the same type of potion if you have the required materials.
-To make prepare another type of potion, you need another action.
-One herb = One patch. You can only grow one type of herb per patch.
-Planting and using fertilizer count as one "planting" action.
-Planting several herbs in a patch before you know the soil's composition and the herb type's properties is dangerous.
-Planted herbs yield more of its kind, which can either be replanted or used as ingredients.
-You can use cuttings as ingredients.
-You may go find herbs in the wild, but it's called "wild" for a reason.
-Things are purposefully vague, so you have to discover them yourself.
-You can buy/contract weapons/guards to defend you, but they are expensive, weapons specially so.
-You can pool your coins/herbs and share/give things.
-Buying herbs and items aside from your starting ones requires you to visit a shop, and the wares there are not always what you want.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:22:46 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 02:16:46 am »

Character sheets: Google Doc
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:05:30 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 03:37:08 am »

Posting to join.

Name: Irideth Hellspawn
Bio: His parents were apothecaries, and Irideth was trained in the art. After his parents died of old age, he left to seek his own fortune. Suffice it to say, he was kinda successful. After settling down in Erista, he bought a  few patches of land, some herbs and some fertilizer to start his own business.
Coins: 8 silver left over.
Herbs: 3x Golden herb, and 3x Mage Guild Gold.

Sounds like a fun game. :)

Edit: I can buy fertilizer already? YAY
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:22:31 am by SilverDragon »
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 03:47:22 am »

Name : Jacen Riggs.
Bio : Jacen is a small child who always loved plants , Sadly the plants did not love him and he sometimes had severe problems keeping said plants alive. As he grew he's love for plants grew with him until by the time he became a full grown man he had a large garden full of various plants. Taking that love for plants with him he got 3 plots of land with he's friends and set to work on a whole new set of plants.
Coins : 19
Herbs : 3 Base herb , 3 Tongberry , 3 Balloon fruit , 3 Pots  herb , 3 Anauj , 1 Compost , 1 Alchemy guild normal mix , 1 Quack mages fertilizing elixir.

Looks very very different from all the rest. I like different.

I have 2 question though , am i right in thinking anything with Herb as the last word in the name is a base herb? Like Base herb and Golden herb and if i use seed to grow herb's can i sell the grown herbs directly if they are worth a profit or do i have to get them cut first?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:44:38 pm by mesor »

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 04:12:39 am »

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:53:56 am by Mr.Zero »
Durrr..

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 04:14:33 am »

Well now, this is interesting. Why this, if I might ask?

Name: Fella
Bio: Fella is a young faun with a knack for alchemy. Liking money and large places, she decided to put her talents to work growing, making, and selling potions in a big human city-place.
Coins: 32 C
Herbs: Spark Herb, Green Langtern, Incandescent Herb

I too am curious about the definition of a base herb, though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:16:16 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 04:17:03 am »

A base herb is a herb with the "base" property.

That's it. :D There's one obvious herb with the "base" property in there, and one more.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 04:19:35 am »

Khaaaaaaa Skyrunneeeeeeeeeer!

Is the base property something we'd figure out by trying to make a potion with it?

Also how does fertilizer work? Is it just a modifier to the current crop or are there long-term consequences to using some or not?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 06:06:22 am »

WHY AM I ALWAYS LATE FOR THESE?!

Down below, good people.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:26:55 am by Tiruin »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 06:17:23 am »

Taking six players, a small bio (no longer than three lines) is necessary and affects whether you enter or not the game.

=NOT FIRST COME FIRST SERVE, AND SIX PLAYERS, NOT THREE.

note: One patch one type of herb.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:19:10 am by Skyrunner »

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 06:35:52 am »

Name: Azundle Karash
Bio: Azundle was born a weak but intelligent boy, raised by kind parents who always somehow managed to scrape by enough money to live a comfortable life and send Azundle to school. This all changed, however, in a terrible earthquake 3 years before present, which leveled the city of Rihonnia. He and his parents barely survived, and using their almost all of their remaining money, moved to the haven of Erista. Injured from the earthquake, Azundle's parents found themselves without a capability for jobs, and entrusted Azundle with earning their livelihood. Embracing the trade potion-making, Azundle had himself set on making some wealth.
Coins: 26 left after herb purchases.
Herbs:
3x Base herb - 3 coins
3x Tongberry - 3 coins
3x Balloon fruit - 6 coins
3x Pott's herb - 6 coins
3x Anauj - 6 coins
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 06:42:26 am »

I don't mean to be rude, but have I been accepted?

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 06:47:48 am »

He's been offline since this went up silver give him some time.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 06:49:40 am »

Oh ok, I didn't realize. Sorry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5