Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Framerate  (Read 1455 times)

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
Framerate
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:53:42 pm »

What do you consider a reasonable framerate? Do you start at this FPS from the beginning for a consistent experience, even though early on you can clock higher?

What are the biggest contributing factors? Is pathfinding still regarded as a major one?

How many cores is DF utilising these days?

Post some results. Framerate, embark area (i.e. x by y), computer specs (e.g. CPU).

I think 40+ will do. My current fort has about 70 dwarves, 75-80 FPS (the latter being my current max) and I have an i7 2600K at stock (3.8 GHz). The fort before it had 200 dwarves and was dipping below a max of 50 (40+).

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
Re: Framerate
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:44:31 pm »

Turning temperature off doubles my framerate up to 100-120 with 150 dwarves.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:02:35 am »

I've found that 40+ is good as well. I likes to start in the 500-1000 range, though, because getting started always takes a while.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:55:17 am »

If it dips below ~140, it's too slow for me.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 01:09:37 am »

I prefer the beginning of fortress life, so start with 50 to 75 and a can of beer.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 02:13:23 am »

Almost regardless of map size I get little above 30 fps with a hundred of dwarves. And there's nothing that can fix that. Well, apart from butchering part of population which can bring it back over 50.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 04:29:14 am »

Almost regardless of map size I get little above 30 fps with a hundred of dwarves. And there's nothing that can fix that. Well, apart from butchering part of population which can bring it back over 50.

Is your temperature on?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 06:29:56 am »

I set my max to 100 and let it go down from there. Past 70 I start atom smashing useless crap and butchering animals.
Max pop is lowed to 80 to help with keeping it down and GFPS is at 5 for the minimal help that gives.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 09:52:29 am »

I... can live with 27fps. I don't know what's up with you guys though.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 09:56:01 am »

I can tolerate it until it drops below 20, and that usually happens with about 150+ dwarves.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:01:11 am »

My computer is a POS so I tolerate anything in the double digits.  Once it hits 9 or below, though...then drastic measures ensue.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 10:24:00 am »

What framerate I like depends a lot on what framerate I start at. If I uncap the framerate (or make it really high) I stay comfortable until it's about 200 to 150 fps. If I cap it lower, at around 50 fps, I'm ok down to about 20.

The biggest factors  (aside from turning off major features weather and temperature), is apparently how many things are on the map. Thousands if roasts and separate clothes of varying quality and description really brings fps down quickly. If you dump them all, a dying fort can instantly become pretty effective again.

Pathing is still an issue, but in my more recent experience it's not the biggest factor anymore.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 12:01:30 pm »

My pop cap is 140 so I can still get a king. At 12 years into the fortress, I am down to about 20-24 fps. At this point, I turned off the central stair waterfall, and began a stone and XXclothingXX destroying program. After all the useless stone and crap had been delt with, I'm up to around 35 fps. I may turn temperature off next after I get enough stone from my obsidian farm to last a while.

I also keep a large reservoir of magma near my fort, as my fps drops to around 15 when filling it with the 160 zlvl magma stack.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 12:39:29 pm »

I still manage a good framerate. I think it dropped to about 30-40FPS with 200+ dwarves while looking at a massive windmill farm plus spinning(but not working) waterwheels.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 03:14:46 pm »

I cap it at 100 because if I had mine at 500 it'd be crazy fast x-x
Pages: [1] 2