Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An easy one: migrants  (Read 1376 times)

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
An easy one: migrants
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:03:27 pm »

How do I get larger waves? I know it's not cool but I love migrants. 8)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: An easy one: migrants
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:04:22 pm »

Raise the pop cap to ungodly levels. Create 16 metric carp-loads of wealth.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:14:18 pm »

Improve your created wealth. That is the main factor in migrant wave sizes past the first two waves (those are hardcoded). Just raising the cap won't increase the number of migrants.

Also the biggest waves are the Spring ones - I consider the other ones to be quite small. Even though Spring should be just twice the size.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:21:55 pm »

Spring and riches. Okay, thanks!

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:25:09 pm »

How do I get larger waves? I know it's not cool but I love migrants. 8)

Migrants are great and all, but the frame rate, it kills fort! If you want to get more migrants, just make a ton of wood and stone crafts in the first year.

In short,  More wealth= more migrants
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:08:06 am »

Stone crafts is a great way to gain wealth quick, and have something to trade when the caravans arrive. I recommend mining out ore bearing rocks like gold, silver, and iron and setting them to be used in the status screen (z)>stone. Quantum dump them at the crafts workshop and unforbid them. Lots of wealth fast.

Remember later on in the forts life to turn on the economic status on the rocks you want to smelt for metal or they'll all end up as cabinets and blocks.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 10:18:39 am »

Word of advice though: It's possible to get as much as 70 migrants in a single wave. I remember making an above-ground Fortress and nearly giving up after a wave of almost 80 migrants in the second year. It was pretty distressing.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:26:20 am »

The reason that migrants are frowned upon here is that once you become good at the game, wealth can increase really quickly. And then it might become a with 5 beds, 10 dwarves, and enough food for maybe 20... suddenly brings it 40 more migrants. This leads to huge hassles of resources and dwarf management, and the building of the actual fort hits a backlog.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 10:44:34 am »

Personally I never have enough dwarves. My limiter is framerate, else I'd have 400 of the buggers.

It's not hard to put bed creation on repeat and make a communal sleeping area until bedrooms are carved out.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 11:33:44 am »

The reason that migrants are frowned upon here is that once you become good at the game, wealth can increase really quickly. And then it might become a with 5 beds, 10 dwarves, and enough food for maybe 20... suddenly brings it 40 more migrants. This leads to huge hassles of resources and dwarf management, and the building of the actual fort hits a backlog.

Exactly. That's why it is important to build wealth slowly. This gives you time to prepare for migrants, to the point where there is more than enough of everything for every wave.

I had about 400 dwarfs in one fort, and about 300 in many. Population is a drain on FPS but so are item count and poor design. With less items and a less convoluted design I find 300 still playable.