Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Time traveling artifacts? (Warning: Derailed)  (Read 14058 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Time traveling artifacts?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 11:40:47 am »

[img]http://s12.postimage.org/is0sj64d9/image.png[/img}

So you saved before reading the description of an artifact blowgun that had "an image in birch" and each time, the image was different.

The other parts of the artifact's descriptions were the same, so we can conclude that artifact descriptions are only semi-set before you view them. The only part that changes depending on when you view it is what images have been placed on the artifact. An artifact that had no images would have the same description each time.

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 04:49:30 pm »

[snipped]
The general idea is sound. Why should individual atoms work differently than whole scads of atoms?
Issues of scale. For example: I have no issues with individual atoms, or even small compounds, entering my bloodstream. I would not, however, like to find out what happens if an entire cat made it's way in there.
If your bloodstream was big enough, it wouldn't matter. Besides, the analogy is faulty--a better analogy might be comparing what happens if some weird quantum effect happens to an electron and asking why that couldn't happen to or affect a person.
But my bloodstream isn't big enough, that's the point. Quantum effects don't scale up to our everyday, classical-mechanics scale. And we should be thankful for that. 9 out 10 times, the answer to "what would happen if X did scale up like that?" is "the universe as we know it wouldn't exist".
And even if I accept your premise, what about when the effects of quantum thingies affect the macroscopic world, a la the exact thought experiment we were talking about?
They only do so in a statistical sense. That's the big flaw in the quantum-cat scenario.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »

[snipped]
The general idea is sound. Why should individual atoms work differently than whole scads of atoms?
Issues of scale. For example: I have no issues with individual atoms, or even small compounds, entering my bloodstream. I would not, however, like to find out what happens if an entire cat made it's way in there.
If your bloodstream was big enough, it wouldn't matter. Besides, the analogy is faulty--a better analogy might be comparing what happens if some weird quantum effect happens to an electron and asking why that couldn't happen to or affect a person.
But my bloodstream isn't big enough, that's the point. Quantum effects don't scale up to our everyday, classical-mechanics scale. And we should be thankful for that. 9 out 10 times, the answer to "what would happen if X did scale up like that?" is "the universe as we know it wouldn't exist".
And even if I accept your premise, what about when the effects of quantum thingies affect the macroscopic world, a la the exact thought experiment we were talking about?
They only do so in a statistical sense. That's the big flaw in the quantum-cat scenario.
What about when the quantum-level effects of a handful of atoms affected the macroscopic world, most crudely via computers doing something if sensors they are hooked up to detect something? Which is pretty much what Schrodinger's Cat is...
Take out the cat, and after an hour the flask is half shattered and half unshattered, because no one has observed the atom's decay or any of its effects. Is this essentially correct, and if not where does the flaw in my reasoning lie?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 05:07:12 pm »

If a dwarf dies trying to make an artifact, the name of said artifact will be inscribed on his slab.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 06:10:39 pm »

[snipped]
What about when the quantum-level effects of a handful of atoms affected the macroscopic world, most crudely via computers doing something if sensors they are hooked up to detect something? Which is pretty much what Schrodinger's Cat is...
Take out the cat, and after an hour the flask is half shattered and half unshattered, because no one has observed the atom's decay or any of its effects. Is this essentially correct, and if not where does the flaw in my reasoning lie?
In the assumption that quantum superposition is a phase that lasts until the effects are observed. Variations of the double-slit experiment have shown that simply creating the possibility of observation is enough to collapse superposition. Even if that observation would be after the fact.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 09:48:02 pm »

[snipped]
In the assumption that quantum superposition is a phase that lasts until the effects are observed. Variations of the double-slit experiment have shown that simply creating the possibility of observation is enough to collapse superposition. Even if that observation would be after the fact.
It's official: Quantum physics are insane.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 07:21:22 am »

Quantum mechanics only works on a small scale (except when it doesn't), because if there is too much interaction with the outside system, or it's too hot, quantum states will decohere just like if they were observed.  It's a well known phenomena.

But it is true enough that quantum states are in a superposition, neither one or the other, until they are observed or decohere. And if you were to manipulate quantum states, they behave differently when they are coherent and when they are not.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 08:37:59 am »

[snipped]
I like Feynman's comment about it: Anyone that says they understand quantum physics clearly doesn't.

I can't remember if he said this about QP or quantum mechanics, but I think it fits either way.

[edit]Did a bit of googling, and one page attributes it to Niels Bohr, while another to Feynman (specifically, Chapter 6, Probability and Uncertainty, where he states "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics.").

Quick now, somebody has to edit one of the earlier posts to quote a later one!
Why would we need to do that?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 01:55:12 am by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 09:58:35 am »

Quick now, somebody has to edit one of the earlier posts to quote a later one!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 10:17:12 am »

[snipped]
I like Feynman's comment about it: Anyone that says they understand quantum physics clearly doesn't.

I can't remember if he said this about QP or quantum mechanics, but I think it fits either way.
I've actually read some quotes postulating that our brains are physically incapable of truly comprehending things like a-causality and discrete time.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 10:48:39 am »

Now the goal is to get two artifacts to have images of each other. Maybe easiest with a pair of planepackeds.

I also assume that, as a result of the delay in content generation, you need to read the description before it gets added to the history (if unrevealed)?

Do images on artifacts interact with the likes/dislikes of dwarves? Like if Urist McMayor detests flies and the artifact is a statue of a dwarf, will Urist like the statue until you read the description which makes it be covered with images of flies?

Does the same mechanic for artifact descriptions also apply to general statues and possibly engravings?
I have a planepacked type adamantine weapon rack worth 73827600☼ I think it shattered the spacetime continuum upon creation...

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 11:10:07 am »

Going back to QM and the observer effect: in the realm of classical mechanics, wouldn't there be so many observers that all matter is observed to be in one state at all times? Going back to that cat analogy, the cat is itself an observer, which renders Schrodinger's thought experiment moot (Schrodinger addressed this, I believe). We could also say that in the macro scale, we are all observers of ourselves and of everything we see. What I'm trying to say is that there's no way a superposition of states could possibly happen in the macro scale, because something's observing something at all times.

I need to sleep. I'm sorry.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 11:46:12 am »

[snipped]

I thought that was Einstein...

Anyway, as for the cat-in-a-box thing, quantum mechanics (as the name implies) is only really usable at the subatomic level, which Schrodinger failed to take into account when creating the thought experiment.

I don't understand it very well. Feynstein was right.
[Signature]

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 12:01:12 pm »

Going back to QM and the observer effect: in the realm of classical mechanics, wouldn't there be so many observers that all matter is observed to be in one state at all times? Going back to that cat analogy, the cat is itself an observer, which renders Schrodinger's thought experiment moot (Schrodinger addressed this, I believe). We could also say that in the macro scale, we are all observers of ourselves and of everything we see. What I'm trying to say is that there's no way a superposition of states could possibly happen in the macro scale, because something's observing something at all times.

I need to sleep. I'm sorry.
The whole observer thing turned out to be a bad analogy. When performing the double-slit experiment with different polarization filters behind each slit (i.e., tagging a photon with information about the slit it passed through), the superposition collapsed even when the 'tag' wasn't inspected. To make things even more !!Fun!!, superposition seems to appear again* if the 'tag' is erased before the photon hits the final detector.

*) 'appear again' should be interpreted liberally. AFAIK, it's unknown whether the waveform actually reappears, never disappears, or a different superposition is created.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 06:00:41 am »

I come in wanting to read about fun artifact features and instead get some brainy science things first thing in the morning.

Bay12: Where great minds go to derail threads and play with dwarves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5