Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Time traveling artifacts? (Warning: Derailed)  (Read 14062 times)

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Time traveling artifacts? (Warning: Derailed)
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:57:51 pm »

I was just looking through my list of artifacts, and found an interesting pair of artifacts. The last created artifact is Mishthem Nish, The Scholars of Trade, a adamantine short sword (epic name for a bluemetal sword):

This is a adamantine short sword. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of brown recluse spider silk. This object menaces with spikes of adamantine.

However, two artifacts earlier, Arogred Daselstukos, Fleshyswamp the Heavenly Razors, a granite statue of Diso Walledmined:

This is a granite statue of Diso Walledmined. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.
The item is a masterfully designed image of Diso Walledmined the human in granite by Ber Angennish. Diso Walledmined is traveling. The artwork relates to the hunting of the great beasts of the human Diso Walledmined in The Steppes of Ice in 223.
It is encrusted with round granite cabochons and encircled with bands of round granite cabochones and dog bone. This object menaces with spikes of dog bone, cave spider silk, green glass and oak.
On the item is an image of The Scholars of Trade the adamantine short sword in green glass.
On the image is an image of clouds in green glass.

Confused by this, I checked the gamelog. Mishtem was created on line 240426 and Arogred on 226570, so it indeed had an image of the future.

EDIT: Typo

EDIT: New title
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:51:49 pm by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: Time traveling artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:05:44 pm »

It happens. If I remember correctly, the description is generated the first time you view it. If you didn't view the statue until after the sword, it's perfectly normal.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:08:31 pm »

So apparently cats make the artifact?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:15:01 pm »

It happens. If I remember correctly, the description is generated the first time you view it. If you didn't view the statue until after the sword, it's perfectly normal.
This. Also:

Quick now, somebody has to edit one of the earlier posts to quote a later one!
Why?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:25:49 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:17:16 pm »

That is both a lie and a secret.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:31:39 pm »

But only if they're in a box.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:37:42 pm »

They have a 50% chance of doing so per hour if left in a box with a flask of poison, a Geiger counter, and a single atom of a radioactive isotope with a half-life of an hour. Or maybe that's dying.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 11:22:43 pm »

They have a 50% chance of doing so per hour if left in a box with a flask of poison, a Geiger counter, and a single atom of a radioactive isotope with a half-life of an hour. Or maybe that's dying.
It's not about probability of it happening, it is that it will simultaneously happen and not happen until observed to be one or the other.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:23:42 pm »

It's a known bugfeature. Happens occasionally if you don't read the earlier artifact's description until the latter has been created.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 02:24:02 am »

Now the goal is to get two artifacts to have images of each other. Maybe easiest with a pair of planepackeds.

I also assume that, as a result of the delay in content generation, you need to read the description before it gets added to the history (if unrevealed)?

Do images on artifacts interact with the likes/dislikes of dwarves? Like if Urist McMayor detests flies and the artifact is a statue of a dwarf, will Urist like the statue until you read the description which makes it be covered with images of flies?

Does the same mechanic for artifact descriptions also apply to general statues and possibly engravings?

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 09:05:33 am »

On the item is an image of The Scholars of Trade the adamantine short sword in green glass.

It just says there is an image on that item.
Pretend that its been added after the creation of the sword.

Maybe the dwarven equivalent of graffiti. But definetely no Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey...Stuff.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 09:46:55 am »

It's not about probability of it happening, it is that it will simultaneously happen and not happen until observed to be one or the other.
Look, Schrodinger was a closed-minded fool. Superposition of states does happen in the quantum level, and yes, it doesn't work that way when you bring it into the realm of classical mechanics, but there's a bridge we have to cross. He was just being unreasonable. Too bad we observe him to be dead.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 10:42:46 am »

Look, Schrodinger was a closed-minded fool. Superposition of states does happen in the quantum level, and yes, it doesn't work that way when you bring it into the realm of classical mechanics, but there's a bridge we have to cross. He was just being unreasonable. Too bad we observe him to be dead.

Isn't the whole idea with the cat to show that if you accept that for particles superposition of states exists, then it must exist for classical objects also? As it is basically about a thought-experiment where you are giving a cat the wave function of a particle.

It was Schrödinger's attempt at a reductio ad absurdum, but he failed to consider that sometimes what seems absurd to a brilliant physicist is true regardless.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:04:58 am by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 10:58:38 am »

Bah, i have an artifact with a picture of itself on it.
Fractals ftw.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 03:51:18 pm »

Back to the idea of the artifact isn't described until you view it:

Does this mean you can save, view it, then save-scum if you didn't like it and get something new?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5