Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Newbie Questions  (Read 1300 times)

Urist McWhovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some Newbie Questions
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:54:05 pm »

I started playing adventure mode a couple of days ago, and have kinda gotten used to the controls. I have a couple things that I'd love some help with:

1. How do you find a vampire when someone gives you a quest to kill one? I keep getting quests for vampires, but I can never find them.
2. Will people in a human fortress get mad at me if I take the stuff that's lying around inside the fort?

Any help is much appreciated!
-Urist McWhovian

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:02:42 pm »

1. Some vampires have lairs and you can kill those. If you get a quest to kill a dwarf vampire (often the king or queen) who lives in a mountainhome, you can't kill them because in the current version only human sites actually exist. This is going to change in the next version, but currently you will only see the *** symbol indicating that you are at a dwarven site, but nothing will be there. Still you can retire your adventurer there.

2. Anything that has not the $ symbol (that's the traders stuff) is free to take. Fortresses and keeps are great to get some free equipment, especially if you're human.

Urist McWhovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:11:31 pm »

Thank you!!

-Urist McWhovian

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 04:39:04 pm »

If the vampire is in a town, though, asking about "Service" in that town the first time will direct you toward the vampire - once you find the right building (The inhabitants won't tell you to check out another building), you just have to ask around until you match the names.

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 04:49:04 am »

Another giveaway apart from names is that vampires will tend to have jewelry made from the bones/hair/skin of their victims. And since they tend to rack up a lot of victims during worldgen, they generally have a lot of jewelry. If you spot a guy wearing dozens and dozens of items made out of people, he's probably a vampire and you should accuse him of being a night creature and proceed to kick his ass. Unless all his bling is made out of elves, in which case its customary to exchange high fives and compliment him on his swag.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:56:27 am »

The information about the body part jewelry is outdated. Nowadays, they just keep a few pieces. Hunters in world generation do the same, by the way, so it's not a sure way to identify vampires.

There is a pretty easy way to see if you're in the right house, though: vampires have blinking tiles, just like city leaders or bandit chiefs.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:07:06 am »

The information about the body part jewelry is outdated. Nowadays, they just keep a few pieces. Hunters in world generation do the same, by the way, so it's not a sure way to identify vampires.

There is a pretty easy way to see if you're in the right house, though: vampires have blinking tiles, just like city leaders or bandit chiefs.

Hunters have jewerly, but always made from animals.

Urist McWhovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 10:50:38 pm »

Thank you all for your help. Sorry I didn't reply sooner
...Blinking Tiles...? Like, the icon for them is blinking?

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 11:19:40 pm »

Yup plus check what they are wearing if itz bones then its a vamp

Mahagony

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:15:14 am »

Sorry for bumping, but my questions are related.

I've been assigned by a Deity to track down a Dwarf Vampire that has killed 19,414 people.

Ive made my way to the town where the creature is supposed to be. I've been told to search in catacombs there. Now, I went into the fort, down into the basement, and down below multiple levels, fighting off all kinds of kobolds, goblins, humans, and even vampires, just not the vampire I'm looking for. After seven hours, I'm positive I've searched every single nook and cranny in this place (multiple times over!!) and am at a loss of what to do. I've searched the sewers to the town as well, and now I'm going down below the church just to be sure.

How do I identify/locate catacombs and track this specific NPC down!?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 08:23:00 am »

Below forts are dungeons, below temples are catacombs. The quest giver usually tells you the name of the catacombs - you'll have to remember it, but comparing that to the name in the bottom left corner of the screen is a good way to be sure - especially since some cities have multiple temples and catacombs.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Mahagony

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:42:37 am »

Aw cabbage patches! I spent hours in the dungeons, then. I don't know why I thought the dungeons lead to the catacombs.

Update:: I finally found the dwarf vampire responsible for killing 19,414 npcs in the 2,000 year history of my game world. But as I arrived, he was killed by two regular kobolds who happened to be populated into the room with him.  :'(
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:24:03 am by Mahagony »

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 10:25:41 am »

Aw cabbage patches! I spent hours in the dungeons, then. I don't know why I thought the dungeons lead to the catacombs.

Update:: I finally found the dwarf vampire responsible for killing 19,414 npcs in the 2,000 year history of my game world. But as I arrived, he was killed by two regular kobolds who happened to be populated into the room with him.  :'(
You and that diety weren't the only ones with a grudge against someone who's killed that many!