Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Archery Ranges  (Read 1827 times)

Psiclops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery Ranges
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 12:34:36 pm »

Here is what I did. I set the bottom of the channel as an ammo stockpile. This way all the misses end up in the channel and are reused for target practice.
Code: [Select]
#_______#
#_______#
#TTTTTT_#
#======^#
#########
#= wall
== channel
^ = ramp up
T = target

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 02:34:12 pm »

Btw, what is the effectiveness difference between metal bolts and wood/bone bolts? (effectiveness in killing that is). At first I was like, I need metal bolts because wood weapons are weak! But then I was like, wait, real arrows are totally made out of wood, they should work just as well.

So what's the deal here?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 02:43:11 pm »

Btw, what is the effectiveness difference between metal bolts and wood/bone bolts? (effectiveness in killing that is). At first I was like, I need metal bolts because wood weapons are weak! But then I was like, wait, real arrows are totally made out of wood, they should work just as well.

So what's the deal here?

If you check the wiki, you'll see that bone and wood materials have 50% effectiveness as compared to iron.  Steel bolts are even more effective.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 12:27:26 pm »

Holy crap that's good to know

Are wood/bone ones still effective? Seems like they should be. I know they're good for hunting at least...
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Pearnamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 12:51:53 pm »

Are wood/bone ones still effective? Seems like they should be. I know they're good for hunting at least...

Sure.  I've always had problems keeping enough charcoal stocked to run a metal-working setup, so my last four or five fortresses (38c) have been all about bone bolts.

They kill kobolds, goblins, hydras, and dragons just fine.  Plus, there's a certain poetic justice to killing off half a goblin siege with goblin-bone bolts.  I assume that iron or steel bolts would be even better- perhaps the current fort will let me learn, as I just discovered my first magma (in an underground bubble).
Pages: 1 [2]