Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Archery Ranges  (Read 1825 times)

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
Archery Ranges
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

When I designate an archery range, do I have to make it encompass all tagets to make them used, or do I have to assign each target to be a range to make them work?

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery Ranges
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

From my experience, if you have several targets on a single range, it will be treated as a single range (i.e., 1 marksdwarf at a time shooting). I would have upwards to 10 marksdwarves off-duty with a range of 5 targets, but most of them would just mill about. When I dug separate ranges with separate targets, I started getting some shooting done. Had Elites in no time.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

Jep, betetr make single rooms with one target each.
I always make designs simular to this one:

code:

x x x x
x x x x
x x x x
xTxTxTx
xxxxxxx

And make each range so big that it spans from the target to the beginning of the range.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

I've got them set up in a line, but  all set as ranges.  Suddenly my dwarves are practicing.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

Yeah, there is no need to put them in separate rooms, but they will each have to be designated separately.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:17:44 pm »

One more thing based on an elementary mistake I just made... make sure you set a shooting direction! They won't shoot on a north-south 1 tile wide range when you leave it at the default east to west.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:28:18 pm »

Archy ranges need to be a minimum of 3 tiles; 1 tile for the target, 1 empty space, and 1 tile for the Dwarf to stand on.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:06:09 pm »

I sure wish archery ranges had umkh size designation instead of just plus/minus.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:40:53 pm »

I love it when you have a dwarf firing off bolts at his target and another dwarf cleaning broken bolts right in the line of fire! Scared me to death the first time I saw that.

Lord Byte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lordbyte.be
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 07:43:17 pm »

Archy ranges need to be a minimum of 3 tiles; 1 tile for the target, 1 empty space, and 1 tile for the Dwarf to stand on.

Yup but you can easily make all those tiles an ammo stockpile ;)

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 09:17:56 am »

Yup but you can easily make all those tiles an ammo stockpile ;)
GENIUS!

*skitters off to relocate the bone bolt stockpiles*
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 11:33:10 am »

Now, if only there was a way to set the stockpile so that any stacks of 1 bolt would be moved to the archery range instead of the main ammo stockpile...

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 04:55:44 pm »

Meh, set your training ammo up to be only bone/wood... no metals. Set your metal ammo stockpiles in your pillboxes/towers/wall fortifications/etc. If it were only 1 metal bolt, it wouldn't do you any good being in the training ammo piles, and if it were 1 bone or wood bolt, it doesn't have any business at the front lines to begin with.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 05:58:38 pm »

Dorfs only use wood/bone bolts to practice with. Thus, if you have a supply of metal bolts, they'll equip those but only actually fire them against hostile critters, such as carp or megabeasts. Then all of your wood/bone bolts will be expended during training, so you can safely have a huge archery range and do extensive archery training all at one time, as woodcutters allow.

Also, if you're lucky enough to get sieges, a timesaving way to get bones from them is to just have your dorfs dump corpses. Drop them into an indoors pit constructed such that miasma isn't a problem. The bodies will decay, then simply reclaim the bones. Also zone the bottom of the pit as a refuse pile so there's no need to move the bones. While you don't get as much from it as buchering them all, its definitely a timesaver if you're short on haulers.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 06:14:44 pm »

Awesome info! Now my ranges no longer need to be ~9 tiles wide each!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday
Pages: [1] 2