Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nobody ever likes breastplates.  (Read 2371 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Nobody ever likes breastplates.
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:36:48 pm »

I swear I've looked through countless migrants and present dwellers in my fortress a lot and I NEVER see any who like Breastplates. Leggings, gauntlets, shields... But never breastplates. How am I going to convince someone to make an artifact breastplate if I can't find a single damn dwarf who likes them?

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever likes breastplates.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 07:05:48 pm »

Make room for new dwarves. Kill off anyone who likes cats, socks, or wood. Then make more room by killing of anyone who was friends with anyone who liked cats, socks, or wood. Best kill of the family of those friends as well. Preventive measure.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:29:52 pm »

Maybe you could make a really nice breastplate and hope someone gets attached to it and makes it into a quasi-artifact.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:32:23 pm »

I NEVER see any who like Breastplates.

Maybe dwarves are hard-coded to like what they cover...
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:02:48 pm »

Interesting.  Using Splinterz's Dwarf Therapist fork, I can see that out of my fortress of 206 dwarves, none of them like breastplates either.

JBlak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:35:07 pm »

You're just unlucky. I had an artifact gold breastplate once.
Shimbilagak

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »

Headshoots had an artifact adamantine breastplate, I think you're just unlucky.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 10:11:55 pm »

It might still be that dwarves don't like breastplates. Maybe a mooding armorer who doesn't like any specific piece of armor in particular?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:15:37 pm »

Yes, the question here is not whether anyone ever gets artifact breastplates.  I had one in my last fort. 

The question (as indicated by the thread subject) is does anyone have a dwarf who actually likes breastplates.

The question is important for those of us who manage dwarves, skills and moods to get the artifacts we want, as the only way to target an artifact of a certain type is to find a dwarf who likes that type of item and then train them in the appropriate field.  If dwarves don't like breastplates, we can never "consistently" produce artifact breastplates.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 11:40:46 pm »

Make room for new dwarves. Kill off anyone who likes cats, socks, or wood. Then make more room by killing of anyone who was friends with anyone who liked cats, socks, or wood. Best kill of the family of those friends as well. Preventive measure.
Keyser Söze, is that you?  ???
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 03:33:14 pm »

I also just checked. shields, bucklers, helms, gauntlets, low boots, leggings, but no breastplates.

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 05:04:40 pm »

Yes. I had a pig iron breastplate made in my current fort by my manager, who does indeed like breastplates.

This is in 34.11
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:06:13 pm by daneel »

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 11:03:03 pm »

Ah, excellent!  Thank you Daneel.  The question is answered - some (though perhaps not very many?) dwarves DO like breastplates.

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 12:46:04 am »

One on my already Legendary armorsmiths just created Osfak, "The Certain Drain", a steel breastplate.  The only object the crafter likes is gems.  Very efficient dude too:

This is a steel breastplate.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is studded with steel.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 12:59:39 am »

One on my already Legendary armorsmiths just created Osfak, "The Certain Drain", a steel breastplate.  The only object the crafter likes is gems.  Very efficient dude too:

This is a steel breastplate.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is studded with steel.
Best damn artifact I've seen in a while. No useless decorations to needlessly attract goblins or migrants.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: [1] 2