Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hatchetsteel Reformatory  (Read 2859 times)

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
Hatchetsteel Reformatory
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »

"Psycho!  Psycho, were are you?"  cried the king.
"I'm here m'lord" I replied.
"The crime rates are spiraling out of control, and the prisons are over flowing.  We have two dwarves for every chain.  TWO!"
"Well I'm sure someone will come up with a solution."
"I have, my idea is that we build a reformatory fortress in the most hell blasted place we can find."
"How will that help?"
"If they don't work together to survive they'll all die!"
"Oh, well, I suppose that'll work.  But, who is going to found this fortress?  Urist?  Zestod?"
"YOU!"
"Excellent choice, wait, WHAT!  I'm not going to where ever this place is at!  Where is it, by the way?"
"It's a little slice of tundra, bordering a haunted region.  It does have a volcano, so you should have no problem repelling any of the less savory elements of the fauna."
"I'm still not going."
"If you don't I'll have you thrown out to that hellhole on the glacier, you know, the one with all the skeletal elks."
"Shit.  Fine, I'll go.  What's it named?"
"Hatchetsteel"
"Lovely"
------------------------------
So, I'm starting a Community fortress!
It's being started under the pretense of everyone except the initial seven are all convicted criminals, and are sent here for their punishment, they wont be jailed, though, and will be working.
In case you didn't read that chunk of text up there, it's located on a tundra, with a 5x5 embark square.  8 of those tiles are haunted tundra, the other are savage wilds; and there is a volcano.

As far as naming dwarves is concerned, just gimmie the requested name, gender, profession,  what you're charged with, and any odd ball traits you want (e.g. Has the coffins of royalty decorating his room)
Suggestions are most welcome!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:12:31 pm by Origami_Psycho »
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
Re: Hatchetsteel Reformatory
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 06:34:57 pm »

Wardens Journal: 10th granite, year 51

And so we have arrived.  It's bleak.  The haunted area is obviously visible to even the thickest of dwarves thanks to the unnaturally square cliffs that boarder it.  There is a central mountain range that divides the area for as far as the eye can see, with the volcano at the southern portion of the mountain range.  Apart from that, the area is incredibly unremarkable.  Preliminary scouting has revealed the only living thing here is a peregrine falcon.  And it's not even undead.
The scouts also told me that there was veins of tetrahedrite visible along the face of the mountain

My miners advised that we dig in farther away from the volcano, so as to leave that area open to any large scale metallurgy projects.  Or to assist in the attaining of water, if there is any ice here.  I hope there is.  I swear, any noble who comes here is gonna have to fight some evil undead thing if s/he wants to get in.
Jeez, I woulda thought that this haunted place would be more...well...exciting!  There isn't anything over there.

I take that back, it's now snowing blood.  I hope this isn't an omen.
Fucking king.  I'm going to kill him myself.

The dwarves:
3 Miners
1 Carpenter/Axedwarve
1 Brew/Grow
1 Mason/Stonecrafter
1 Warden(Me!)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:42:56 pm by Origami_Psycho »
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:37 pm »

I'll take a convict.

Name: GreatWyrmShic
Profession: Thief
Crime: Stole a mug of ale from the king's table.
He stole a fortune of dishes and silverware, and seduced the king's daughter, and you're getting him on stealing ALE? --Hammerer
It's what my daughter wanted, ask her. --King

Requirements: Must be married (totally not to the king's daughter in disguise), should not have kids, ideally has no/few useful civilian skills. Military skills are fine, though, especially if they focus on defensive skills.
Personalty: Will do anything to secure a nice, relatively safe and sane life for him and his lovely bride. He's actually a pretty nice guy, just on the wrong side of the law. Think Robin Hood crossed with Captain Jack Sparrow, but with more alcohol and beard.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:08:42 pm »

Wardens Journal: 23rd Hematite, year 51

We've finally gotten out stockpiles up, a meeting hall, and some basic farming capability.  There have been reports of zombie great horned owls.
The constant snow of blood just wont stop, and we've determined that it's human blood.  That's a relief.

------------

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:27:05 pm »

Wardens Journal: 20th Granite, year 51

One of the great horned owls attacked today, one of the war dogs quickly disposed of it.  She suffered some minor lacerations on her ear and paw.
In other news, it turns out that instead of giving me all non criminals as part of the original seven, that damn king sent us a bloody thief, this is the guy we made our mason.  Luckily for him, he seems to have a natural connection with the stone.

In a night of drunken revelry, he revealed to me that his name was GreatWyrmShic, and not Nish Gusilumer.  He was sent here for 'stealing ale from the table of the king'.  Yeah, right, more like he boned the kings daughter and she managed to get him off with that.  Gah.  I bet that the princess is bound to show up with one of the migrant waves, disguised as a con women or something, so she can be with her 'one true love'.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:12:14 pm »

...That should have been GreatWyrmShiv, which makes mildly more sense. Can you change the name, please?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:39:03 pm »

Changed, you are now much more frightening, and must be kept away from anything even remotely metal looking.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »

Excellent. What skills does he have?
Sig

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 09:40:47 am »

Mason and stonecrafting

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 09:53:37 am »

Dibs on brewer/grower.
Name: Peregar
Title: Alchemist
Crime: Poisoning whole tavern party with his newly invented booze. By accident. But that was a truly wonderful drink!

If you'd mod a syndrome to any of uncommon drinks, Peregar would be happy
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 02:02:17 pm »

Wardens Log: Year 51
24th Malachite
It has been revealed to me that our brewer is some kind of mad alchemist bent on poisoning everyone.  Says his name is Peregar.  Bloody king, couldn't even give me a respectable crew to start with.
Apart from that, it would appear our mason, GreatWyrmShiv, really does have the touch when it comes to rock.  He just made a masterpiece door.  Shame it's going to be keeping the stench in the refuse hall.
-----------------------
1st Galena
Jeez, apparently the king couldn't wait to start sending us convicts, as a group of five just showed up at out doorstep.
Alright, let's see what we got:
The first two were fisherdwarves, before being incarcerated.  I've relegated them to hauling until further notice, as there is not water out here, only frozen blood.  The next was a jeweler, seeing as how we have no gems to do anything with, he is also hauling.
The final two were depressing.  They were children, they refused to speak of why they are here, of all places, but did tell me that some elk killed their parents on the way here.
------------------------
1st Limestone
The rest of summer came and went without anything noteworthy occuring.  Into autumn we go.
Apparently, later in autumn we are supposed to get a supply caravan, lets see if we can't get some sellable goods for their trouble.  I think I'll assigned the fishers to the crafting shops, see what they can crank out.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 02:52:36 pm by Origami_Psycho »

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »

Also, how does the insert image thing work?

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 02:36:04 pm »

Wardens Log: Autumn, year 51
19th Limestone
We got another batch of cons today, seven this time.
2 More children (apparently the orphanages are also overflowing)
1 farmer
1 wood cutter ('cause we have so many trees out here)
1 cook (At least he'll help keep moral up)
1 woodburner (to burn all that wood we don't have)

I wonder what they did.  Well, I'll have to interview them later, and compound psych profiles then as well.  Until then, I'll just have to wait and see.
-------------------------
6th Timber
Most blood falls from the sky.  It used to be foreboding, scary even, like the sky was telling us that we will die here.  Now it's a daily occurrence.  Funny, the things you get used to.
-------------------------
18th Timber
The supply caravan arrived today, I've ordered some of the more useless cons to start moving the goods from the warehouse into the cargo bay.  We got some instruments, crafts, and toys, all made of rock.
Then the scouts told me something, there is a herd of zombie reindeer in between them and us.  Seeing as how I have no way to fight them, I just have to hope that the guards can handle it.
They did.  The guards put them down long enough for the caravaneers to get through, but even now I can see them climbing to their feet.  As the last wagon gets inside I can feel in my bones that it's now winter.

-End of autumn, year 51-
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:04:29 pm by Origami_Psycho »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 03:05:13 pm »

Also, how does the insert image thing work?
1) printscreen DF window
2) insert it into some pic editor, like paint or gimp, edit and save
3) upload to some image hosting - tinypic, imageshack, plenty of them
4) inser them into post using img tag. Most image hostings construct that tag on uploading. It's something like:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://somehosting.com/link/to/your/image.jpg[/img]maybe with unnesessary links to album, hosting and whatever
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 03:07:08 pm »

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2