Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold World's?  (Read 3040 times)

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
Kobold World's?
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:51:55 pm »

Is it true that you can delete dwarves, humans elves and goblins from the game entirely so you can play dwarf fortress actually AS kobolds?
Or does anyone have the history seed or something for a time when all race's died out but kobold?

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold World's?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 12:01:57 am »

Try set kobolds as playable, or search in modding board.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 03:19:51 am »

Check the adventures of Deebus thread. Not only it features a kobold world but it's also really awesome!

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 05:39:34 am »

I've heard that if other civs are extinct, you can play as a kobold in vanilla. Might be hear-say though.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:37:28 am »

I've heard that if other civs are extinct, you can play as a kobold in vanilla. Might be hear-say though.
I don't know about kobolds, but I definitely played as a goblin in a vanilla pocket world with only one civilization. Kobolds count as civilized, too, so it should be possible.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 11:22:52 am »

IIRC, you can only play as civs which have the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag, which in vanilla is just dwarves. It's easy enough to add it to the other entities, but heavy modification of their permitted jobs may be necessary to get play functionality where you want it.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 12:51:03 pm »

I also recall playing on Vanilla as goblins on one of the older versions. I'm pretty sure you still can though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:02:14 pm by Asra »

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 04:33:41 pm »

In Dwarf Fortress mode, you can only play Dwarves without mods - I think if you end up with a dwarfless world, it will create more dwarfs - at least the seven you need to embark.

In adventure mode, you can play as Dwarf, Human, or Elf, unless all three civilizations are gone. Then, you can play something from one of the remaining civilizations, such as kobold or Goblin.

On an unrelated note... from a self-made mod gone horribly wrong, I ended up with Giant Cave Crocodiles as the only playable race in either mode.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 11:04:37 am »

On an unrelated note... from a self-made mod gone horribly wrong hilariously right, I ended up with Giant Cave Crocodiles as the only playable race in either mode.

ftfy

but yeah, vanilla only dwarves are playable in fortress mode, and it's been that way since at least 40d, i don't know about versions before that but I would assume it was the same all the way back considering it is, after all, dwarf fortress. there have been plenty of mods/modpacks where you could download a nonvanilla version with playable gobs/bolds/pansies, though.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 07:20:47 pm »

Yes, the game will occasionally let you play as a goblin adventurer.  Why are you guys even talking about dwarf mode?  This is the adventure mode discussion, and adventure mode goes by different rules.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:59:39 am »

Yes, the game will occasionally let you play as a goblin adventurer.  Why are you guys even talking about dwarf mode?  This is the adventure mode discussion, and adventure mode goes by different rules.
Is it true that you can delete dwarves, humans elves and goblins from the game entirely so you can play dwarf fortress actually AS kobolds?
Or does anyone have the history seed or something for a time when all race's died out but kobold?

derp.  :P I usually consider "dwarf fortress" as fortress mode and adventure mode as separate, and I forgot this was on the adventure mode forums. Well, I feel completely idiotic now.

in that case, according to wiki "Any race with the ADVENTURE_TIER token is playable in adventure mode. In an unmodded game this means Dwarves, Elves, and Humans. All three races can complete the same quests.", but I can't speak for the veracity of the information as I don't often play adventure mode. INDIV_CONTROLLABLE allows you to play a race as an "outsider", though.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 02:57:43 pm »

derp.  :P I usually consider "dwarf fortress" as fortress mode and adventure mode as separate, and I forgot this was on the adventure mode forums. Well, I feel completely idiotic now.

in that case, according to wiki "Any race with the ADVENTURE_TIER token is playable in adventure mode. In an unmodded game this means Dwarves, Elves, and Humans. All three races can complete the same quests.", but I can't speak for the veracity of the information as I don't often play adventure mode. INDIV_CONTROLLABLE allows you to play a race as an "outsider", though.
Yeah, I know what you mean.  I call fort mode "Dwarf Fortress" and really only call adventure mode "Adventure Mode."  But if I recall correctly, HugoLoman's epic of Deebus was unintentional.  Well, not monster isle, but the whole Kobold bit.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 10:52:42 am »

I'm not familiar with the story of Deebus, so I'll take that at face value. Probably a bug. If adventurers were historical figures I'd suggest it happens when the adventure is assigned by chance to a creature absorbed into a civ during worldgen wars, but I don't think it works like that and even if it did I'm not sure where that leaves kobolds.