Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Arena IV: Less curses, more fun!  (Read 9321 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Arena IV: Less curses, more fun!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 04:40:30 pm »

You get to use 600 gold total I think. You also might want to put their races in.

Spent the rest of my money properly.
Obviously heal my fighter if his health is really low and avoid hitting him with any of the mages abilities. The fighter should try to engage as many enemies as possible in melee to stop them from attacking my mage.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 04:44:29 pm »

You get to use 600 gold total I think. You also might want to put their races in.

Spent the rest of my money properly.
Obviously heal my fighter if his health is really low and avoid hitting him with any of the mages abilities. The fighter should try to engage as many enemies as possible in melee to stop them from attacking my mage.
Yup, 600 gold total.
Anyway, mages don't hit allies. It's magic, so I don't have to explain it.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 05:31:14 pm »

Reserved if possible.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 09:46:38 pm »

Totally did not mean to hit quote, but this does give me a chance to throw something out here.

Can mages use/own weapons that aren't staves, but are small such as a dagger? Assuming that they cast through their hands and use a staff as a focus, it should be possible to go focus-less assuming the skill is above a certian level or just at a penalty- I'm not expecting Sanya to be any good with a dagger but it's just... better to me. Character wise.

Also, I have no idea what weapons cost. A simpler guide of starter weapon costs this, metal upgrades are +x, would be very helpful.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:56:13 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 11:10:00 pm »

As far as I can tell starter weapons are free (at least for the first one, I have no clue about a second), upgrades cost +100 per level per level. So upgrading from a level 2->3 would cost 300 gold (assuming starter is level 0), upgrading from a level 1->3 would cost 400 as would 3->4.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 11:48:08 pm »

As far as I can tell starter weapons are free (at least for the first one, I have no clue about a second), upgrades cost +100 per level per level. So upgrading from a level 2->3 would cost 300 gold (assuming starter is level 0), upgrading from a level 1->3 would cost 400 as would 3->4.
Yes, starter weapons are free. A mage with a dagger as backup weapon is allowed, but unless it's upgraded, beating stuff with your staff is more effective.
Also, tiers:
1:Starter
2: Bronze
3: Iron
4: Steel
However, starter is always free.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:22:16 am by tomio175 »
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 11:50:40 pm »

Ah, for my first fight how about 2 wolves and a direwolf.

So buying a second level spell that you are elementally aligned with costs 50 gold or 100 gold?
It costs 50. That's hopefully clear now...

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 10:20:40 am »

Reserved for fight between two wolves and a dire wolf and Lemon10's guys.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 10:22:08 am »

Now doing Lemon10's gladiators vs Dire Wolf and two other wolves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

About the one-hit kill thing at the wolves, I rolled a twenty at dodging, and if that happens, I throw a d10 to determine damage, regardless of armor etc. You rolled a ten, which is then an insta-kill.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:31:27 am by tomio175 »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 10:30:58 am »

I want a gladiator if there are any more open slots. Also, no twohanders available? If not, I don't see prices for shields.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 10:33:08 am »

I'll be posting two eventually, probably fairly soon. Since this will get edited anyway, can you PM me the system or however you're giving that out? I'm very interested and might make my own tabletop eventually, so resources are nice.
I will certainly do so, probably within 24 hours. If not, two days, maximum.
Oh, and I found out the prices may be a bit too high. Starting gold is now six hundred.
Shields/bucklers:
Wood: 50/35
Bronze: 100/70
Iron: 200/140
Steel: 400/280
Adamantium: 800/560
Shields count as heavy, bucklers as light.
Make sure to read all the posts, since some of the information isn't in the OP.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 11:17:44 am »

I want a gladiator if there are any more open slots. Also, no twohanders available? If not, I don't see prices for shields.
Yup, there is at least one open slot. Oh, and with swords, you can wield them two-handed (They're the long swords). You can wield everything two-handed for increased damage.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 12:49:44 pm »

I'll probably pull out of this. I'll stay on to see if it succumbs to the Arena Curse. And to see how many people get murderlised.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 01:06:12 pm »

Name: Ishar
Traits:
STR: 10
END: 6
AGI: 10
INT: 4
(If I understand correctly, the END: 6 costs 1 point. Also, does intelligence mean anything to a warrior, or is it a mage exclusive thing?)
Backstory:
He was a sellsword for quite a while, but then he decided that it was simpler and potentially more lucrative to voluntarily sign himself up as a gladiator. This was kind of convenient for him, as he was and still is a free man, so he can manage himself, and keep all the winnings. Aims to put together a formidable team to live a life of luxury. Kind of a selfish prick.
In battle, he favors quick movement, light armor, and a single two-handed weapon.
Class: Warrior
Weapon: Bronze sword (100) as a two-handed weapon
Equipment: Hydra leather armor (500)

I want two tigers as my first opponents. The strategy wound be dodging and counterattacking when an opening is present, since my fighter is more on the quick than on the sturdy side, so avoiding hits is important.

Another question, sorry if this came up earlier, I didn't find it: what if I want to fight another gladiator? What happens if I win, what happens if I lose?
Do stats develop naturally, or only through buying additional levels?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 01:11:54 pm by Ishar »
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 02:57:21 pm »

I finished! I'm ready to fight, I hope, coming to a total cost of 600 for two gladiators.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9