Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterfalls  (Read 1030 times)

Kire93

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterfalls
« on: September 20, 2012, 02:04:38 pm »

I am trying to make a water fall in my fortress, ending with rivers flowing through my grand dining hall but don't know what to do with the water lol what are some ways to drain/deal with the water?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfalls
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »

Take it off the map.  Drop it down a bottomless chasm.  Carve fortifications in rock and drain it off map.

:P Pour it into a cavern you care little about.  (dont do that... fps hell)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:08:14 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

zahmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 02:15:34 pm »

Where are you getting the water from? Just pump it back into the source. 

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:16:16 pm »

I am trying to make a water fall in my fortress, ending with rivers flowing through my grand dining hall but don't know what to do with the water lol what are some ways to drain/deal with the water?

I do it like this: mine out a passage all the way to the edge of the map (any direction).  You won't be able to mine out the last square.  (s)mooth that last wall and the carve a fortification into it.  Any water flowing through that passage will flow through the fortification and off the map.

I usually don't have much water flowing for waterfalls so 1 tile width is fine for me, but if you're diverting a river or something you may want two or more.  I'm not sure how backpressure will add up, depends on your plumbing.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 06:54:16 pm »

Where are you getting the water from? Just pump it back into the source.
I like this plan myself, especially if you add a DWR at some point to self-power the pumps needed to move the water back up to the starting level. When completed it can be a completely self contained system.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Kire93

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 06:57:46 pm »

I am diverting a spring, so I think I am going to try smoothing and carving a fortification! Thanks for the suggestions!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:09:45 pm »

You can use a floodgate to block off the spring once you have enough in the system for your needs.  Having it flow out works just as well, however. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 10:08:44 am »

If you want rivers flowing through your dining area, be sure to channel out the floor and grate over the top of it, or what you have is called a mess. ;)