Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: barracks?  (Read 1813 times)

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
barracks?
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:51:21 am »

I am thinking of a new barrack design since my old ones are well bad.. wondering if a kind  person Urist could show me a picture of their current one

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: barracks?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:11:13 pm »

I can't help. My current barracks is nothing but a weapons rack stuck out in the open in the scorching desert sun, between the curtain wall and the keep proper and only a short distance from the main gate. Oh, and I also have half a dozen archery targets. Those too are out in the open.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 02:51:02 pm »

While I have no living forts, here's my general design in MS paint:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can be done at any size, though generally I have that passages between the segments two tiles thick and just eyeball everything else. (General design rules being: The bed room is the same height (in this case) as the main room, while the storage room is as long as the main room.) I tend to have two squads occupy a single barracks of this design at a time. While you can hold more with this design, it just starts to get crowed. When you need more squads either make another one of these or expand it. In case of logic farts, remember, this can be done in any orientation.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 03:01:31 pm »

Ah that should be good my idea was sticking it in one room put walls for the ammo armor weapons ect

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:03:05 pm »

For marksdwarf squads, I like to go with a two level setup.  The top level has one (long) wall with archery targets flanked by open spaces, set as an archery range, and a small (4-5 tile) ammo stockpile with bins.  On the level below, I build a wall to block off the falling ammo from the main room, but leave spaces/doors for access, and that strip is set as an ammo stockpile with zero bins.  Out in the open space of that level, I set an armor stand or weapon rack to define the barracks.  The same marksdwarf squad is set to train at the archery range upstairs and the barracks downstairs.  If I don't want the military using regular bedrooms, I set up another room nearby with beds, for them.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 03:49:35 am »

Well, can't you just make it one room? Like take beds and place them every other tile along the wall in an odd-by-odd room (11*11 for example) and drop an armor stand or weapon rack right in the middle? The ammo/armor/weapon depot would still be in a seperate room, but you'd always have your squad in the same room otherwise.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 04:05:42 am »

I just slap an armour stand, a weapon rack, five or so beds and maybe some cabinets and/or coffers in a big ol' 10x10 room with a door... and maybe an adjectant room for food (and ammo). In case its marksdorf barracks, I have another door leading to the archery range. That's pretty much it.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 06:21:15 am »

i made a giant 30x30 on first z level towards the entrance beds armor/weapon stand

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 10:58:06 am »

I never have beds in my barracks and let soldiers sleep in individual bedrooms like everybody else. They never sleep all at the same time, so I never had any problems getting enough soldiers ready when I need them.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 11:38:03 am »

That's what I do too.  It also helps keep them happy enough despite long patrol duty.

In my current fort I've taken a slightly more structured approach, where each barracks is used by two squads.  I put a weapon rack in opposite corners of a square room, and have hallways extending from each side of the barracks.  Two hallways are lined with bedrooms for the squads, and the other two hallways usually lead to either other barracks or the fort proper.

Sorry, don't have any pics.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 04:08:26 pm »

My barracks are the battlefields.

Just kidding, but I find it's better to have many barracks so that your Dwarves are on duty training around the fort ready to respond to any threat no matter what direction it may come from.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 04:23:28 pm »

My current barracks are a 3x3 room with a armor stand in the center.  8 training spears adorn the floor attached to a lever that is only stopped cycling to pick up the dead pets and babies. 30 cold hearted death machines currently occupy that tiny space.

Most people would examine their troops before conscripting them to service for all the best qualities, but I do not... Forced military service occurs if you're a Cheesemaker, Beekeeper, Thresher, or Peasant.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 06:52:56 pm »

My current barracks are a 3x3 room with a armor stand in the center.  8 training spears adorn the floor attached to a lever that is only stopped cycling to pick up the dead pets and babies. 30 cold hearted death machines currently occupy that tiny space.

Most people would examine their troops before conscripting them to service for all the best qualities, but I do not... Forced military service occurs if you're a Cheesemaker, Beekeeper, Thresher, or Peasant.
I like you a lot!