Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - Teamspeak  (Read 19636 times)

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - Teamspeak
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2012, 02:03:55 pm »

It's just the cutting of the Trees from their respective farm plots that is automatic, just like picking plants from the farms are automatic.  This suggestion does not included the processing of the wood logs in to further items.  This is just the harvest portion.

Example:

[REACTION:CUT_SMALL_TREE]
   [NAME:cut farmed tree]
   [BUILDING:TIMBERYARD:CUSTOM_T]
   [REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:TREE_SMALL:STRUCTURAL]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:ROUGH:WOOD]
   [PRODUCT:65:1:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:TREE_SMALL:SEED]
   [PRODUCT:15:1:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:TREE_SMALL:SEED]
YESDUST[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SAWDUST][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   [SKILL:WOODCUTTING]
   [AUTOMATIC]

AND SPECIFICALLY NOT THIS:
[REACTION:BARK]
[NAME:remove tree bark]
[BUILDING:TIMBERYARD:CUSTOM_B]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:ROUGH:WOOD]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:NAKEDWOOD:WOOD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT:90:1:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:TREE_SMALL:SEED]
YESDUST[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SAWDUST][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:WOODCUTTING]

If your trees at growing at different rates (which they invariable do), then you will keep getting job cancellations because your dork will go and "farm" all the trees.  Once he is done, the job will get cancelled.  This way, when a tree is ready to be cut down, the job will be created automatically.  No more micromanaging tree cutting.  When the trees are ready to be harvested, your woodcutter dorks will just go do it.

Very nice post mechanixm, although I disagree with you on a couple points, I'll just comment on one because you called it "essential" :)

Code: [Select]
TIMBERYARD
*Change Cut all types of Farmed Wood To [Automatic]  (this change is essential)

Don't you like to control which wood they process first?  it's not that hard to manage just using repeat reaction?

Re: Gauntlets, unless something has changed, you can't make them in custom reactions because they don't have handedness.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 03:12:54 pm »

Bug reporting time:

- Finishing forge: cold hammer x metal. Nice, but what for? And why is this a separate building from...
- Crucible: If this is the good old 1.9.x crucible, then there is a pretty serious problem with it: it needs three steel bars to construct. If this is the only way to smelt steel, then you have a nice catch 22 here.
- Iron ores: Magnetite, limonite is still there. The way I remember, it was reduced to hematite only in 1.9.x. Intended?
- Iron ores: Smelting iron is a one-step process, so smelting hematite gives iron instead of coarse iron, just like in vanilla. Intended?
- Marble looks fishy:

I highly doubt that it should look like that green... thing with the... cloud (?) inside it. Smoothed marble looks like, well, decent marble, all white and shit.
- Vanilla stones: microcline, orthoclase, sphalerite are the ones I encountered. I thought these were purged in the stone-simplifying crusade. If they stay for good, at least do something with their color, to prevent eye damage or something. (see above picture again)
- It was mentioned in the community fort earlier: holy-shit-sized veins of mithril and anthracite (also, compact peat). Not entire levels, but in some cases, almost. Even if this was kind of intended, I don't think it was intended on this scale, as these went waaaay overboard, I had ~500 coal in the first year.
- Known issue, just reminder: mithril forge doesn't need a blueprint now. This is a HILARIOUSLY HUGE source of power for dwarvenkind.

Since there are two threads now, and the other is a chaotic mess, and my name was mentioned here, I decided to post this in this one.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2012, 05:15:16 pm »

Bug reporting time:

- Marble looks fishy:

Hey Ishar...I can totally answer this one.  Marble is a fluxstone, which is why it has the cloud icon thingy in it.  That's the way it's supposed to be.

I have the same complaint about the Finishing Forge in regards to the Mithril Forge.  Why do we need an entire separate building to house three reactions?

Also, why would any building require specific metal bars to be built?  Aside from magma safe blocks and an anvil, what specific purpose does those bars serve?  Sure, it's great flavor to require metal bars...but, specific metal bars?  *shrug*
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:17:13 pm by Mechanixm »

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2012, 05:34:13 pm »

I am going to just ignore the changes I made in the old version and jump straight in to the alpha version.

Here are my initial reactions and responses to what is currently in the reaction_masterwork.txt file.  I think it needs a bit of work...

What does everyone else think?

Kiln :
Making perlash and plaster shouldn't be Smelt Skill.  Perhaps POTTERY or POTASH MAKER or WOODBURNING?
Making bricks takes Smelt skill?  Should this not be masonry or perhaps even pottery?

Boneyard:
The Boneyard is missing several masonry type reactions. (armor stand, weapon rack, etc...)  Is this by design?

Furniture Maker:
How do ya'll feel about changing the stone reactions here to require blocks instead of boulders?
Fancy Stone/Wood/Gold/Silver/Bone Bedroom set has two chests instead of two cabintets.  What do you think about reversing that?
Should the metal furniture sets be [FORGE_FURNITURE] instead of [METALCRAFT] ?
About beds, seriously, do we really need to require cloth?  Wooden beds and metal beds at other workshops dont require cloth...

Brick Oven;
What happened to the Brick Oven?  Did it all get moved to the kiln?
What happened to ornamental Bricks?

Crematorium:
Again with the smelting...  Burning a vermin corpse requires SMELT ?  :) How about WOODBURNING ?
Burning Corpses...SMELT.  WOODBURNING instead?
Burning old clothes...SMELT. ???  Really?  Burning Wood items...SMELT?

Timberyard:
See my previous posts in this thread about adding [AUTOMATIC] to the cut farmed tree reactions.  Just the cutting the trees down from the farm plots reactions.  Nothing else needs to be automatic.

Rockforge:
I mentioned this idea to Meph and need to see what the rest of the community thinks.  I've been playing with my stacks of bolts and arrows in stacks of 50 instead of stacks of 25.  I do this to bypass the frustration of not being able to tell my crossbow dwarves to go grab ammo due to the fact they aretoo dumb to do it themselves.  I find this a nice balance to counteract their steadfast refusal at times to refill their quivers.  Thoughts?
For example, have the products of the Rocktip Bolts/Arrows produce this:
[PRODUCT:100:50:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS:PLANT_MAT:ROCKTIP:WOOD]
instead of this:
[PRODUCT:100:25:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS:PLANT_MAT:ROCKTIP:WOOD]
I made this change with all of the ammunition that is also created at the Ammo Caster.
I didn't playtest any of the other types of ammos.  But this change did not seem to be over-power or unbalanced.  The little idiots had ammo when they actually needed it.  It was quite refreshing.

Stone weapon reactions seem more fitting to me requiring [MECHANICS] instead of [STONECRAFT].  The mechanics skill is associated with things that are more apt to be moving or deadly.   Stonecrafting is for making small trinket things.

Should the Tube Section and Enormous Corkscrew be moved to here from the Stonecutter?  It definitely fits the theme of this workshop.

Stonecutter:
This entry is missing from the Index at the top of the reaction_masterwork.txt file.

Bed should be moved to the Furniture Maker.  This seems overly obvious.  Am I missing something?
If we want to change all of these reactions to be made from blocks (some are blocks, some are boulders), I still have all of the additional reactions we can add to this workshop, mainly things like all the Tool items craftable at the Craftsdwarf Workshop (Nest Boxes, Hives, Large Pots, etc..) along with minecarts and wheelbarrows.
Magma_Safe Grate needs to be added.
Add Magma-Safe Tube Section and Magma-Safe Enormous Corkscrew?  Think magma pump stacks...

Ammo Caster and Magma Ammo Caster:
As I mentioned above, potentially changing ammo stack sizes for bolts and arrows to 50 from 25.  These reactions already require two bars to make, so this isn't all that far fetched.
Do we only have gold/silver/platinum bolt reactions for hammerhead bolts because they're not sharp?  Makes sense.
Add Mithril and Welded Mithril reactions?  Potentially, other alloys as well?

GemCutter:
Missing several furniture and tool reactions (armor stands, nest boxes, etc...)

GemForge:
We can add here all of the ENCRUSTGEM reactions for all the different types of furniture and tools.  Example:  Encrust Table or Encrust Throne, etc...

Trap Engineer:
Change the Boulder Regeants to Blocks?

Gunsmith:
1 Steel Mechanism requried for all guns?  Maybe this could be changed to make some sort of new Item_tool_Gun_parts or something?  1 steel bar -> 2 gun parts?

Metallurgist:
Why are these missing? titanium alloys, tungstens alloys, chrome alloy. Do they need to be added?

Crucible:
Which of these are missing? "batch smelting reactions"  What happened to the blast furnace?!

Finishing Forge:
Missing Cold Forge Wolfram?
Why is this called a finishing forge if all you do is cold hammer raw boulders of stuff into bars? 

Mithril Forge:
Do we really need an entire new forge for three reactions?  Is there any reason why these couldn't be at the Crucible?

Great Magma Forge:
Missing ammo reactions?  Volcanic Bolts and Arrows and Javelines?

Creature Armory;
We should verify that all animals trainable to war animals have their own reactions possibly?
Are we only including steel/iron clad hauling animals that haul stuff for caravans?  If so, we need to include things like Yaks and Camels.
What about invading armies and their mounts?  Should they be able to be clad in armor?

Temple and Altars:
These workshops are missing from the Index at the top of reaction_masterwork.txt

Golem Forge:
Add Golems made from the following metals:  bronze, iridium, welded mithril?

Fishpond:
Does 20% chance of your fishing pole breaking every time you fish seem too high?  Shouldn't this be like 1% or maybe as high as 5%?
Same thing for nets...10% chance of breaking everytime you use it?

Chemistry Laboratory:
Dynamite?!  Dynamite Ammo?  Haha!  Wtf guys!

Archeology:
The conept of this workshop is incredibly cool.  Whomever did the work on this...great job!

SlaughterHoust:
[REACTION:CONTAINER_ESSENCE] - this reaction is missing a SKILL.  Is that by design?
Also, what the hell do all of these weapon reactions do, exactly?  Is this a place where you can train your military skills?

Armory:
Armor Sets are missing gauntlets.  In 1.9.2 your dwarves would still wear metal gauntlets and mittens and stuff.  Is this not the case anymore?  Are gauntlets truly broken now for everything?
Add welded Mithril armor set?  Are any other types of metal sets missing?

Leather Manufacturer:
This is out of order in the Index.  It needs to be directly below Armory.
Fur/Leather Sets are missing gauntlets.  Same question...are all hand armors and what not broken?

Cloth Manufacturer:
This is out of order in the Index.  It needs to be directly below Leather manufacturer
Missing Plant based Cloth clothing set.
Suggestion: add additional reactions for larger batch sizes of clothing making, say like 5 sets of clothing: [NAME:Make 5 sets of silk clothing] etc...

Other:
Were crates removed from the game?!  Those were cool...
Ornamental Bricks have been removed?!
Blast Furnace has been removed?!

What else has been removed that I've missed?

I also suggest that we take this time to Alphabetize the reactions in their respective workshops to make it much easier to find.  In a game full of text lists, alphabetizing should be a top priority.  Look at how nice these two workshop lists look like:

(This was before I changed those three entires of "Make a" to just "Make".  And, I moved the Cut Large Gems to the first thing in the list.

and

(Look at how beautiful this is!!!  Where are the Cabinets?  Boom!  Right there after Bins, just as they should be!)

So...who is in charge of making these decisions as to what gets in the mod and what doesn't?  Is it entirely up to you Meph?  Or, is there some other community based system I am unaware of?

Thanks for the read guys.  I'm willing to jump in and help in any way I can.

Mech

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2012, 05:38:04 pm »

e_e So basically you're smelting everything from corpses to clothing.
Useful for training smelter slaves.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2012, 05:52:34 pm »

Mechanixm:

- All that remains from the brick oven got moved to the kiln. Problem: it requires fuel now. Too bad, it's really not worth it anymore this way. Of course there's magma kiln, but unless you embark at a volcano, that's a longshot.
- Stone beds without cloth: absolutely seconded. Cloth, as a material in general, is pretty fuckin annoying.
- Armor sets missing gauntlets: they can't be made with custom reactions, because custom reactions can't produce left and right handed items. Hardcoded problem, not much you can do about it.
- Crucible: As I said, a bit broken right now.
- Blast furnace: Gone since 1.9.5. I miss it too, simplified a lot of things.
- Mithril forge: It's a separate building because we shouldn't have it by default. It will require a blueprint that can be aquired via trade, from elves only.
- Dynamite ammo sounds freakin' awesome if you ask me. Who doesn't love explosions?
- Decisions: Meph. Sure, quite a lot of us joined up with him, but this is still his pet project, and always will be. Quite a lot of major decisions are routinely put up for vote in the main thread. Merging the kiln and the brick oven, removing the blast furnace came from those votes for example.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 05:52:51 pm »

Not dead, still interested in helping, just busy. I'm going to get back into this as soon as I catch up on grad school stuff.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 07:41:10 pm »

Ok, this reply will take a while:

@ishar: Yes, the marble is 100% phoebus. I did change it to white for the mod, havent done so yet. Balancing inorganics will be done, I didnt realize there are so many vanilla stones still included. And anthrazite will be made less usefull, since it is more common now.

Brick Oven is merged into Kiln. Made a poll about it, 90% approval ;) Pearlash and plaster uses smelting in vanilla DF, I didnt change anything. Smelting is named "Furnace Operating" ingame. The dwarf are not smelting stuff with the smelting skill, no, the "operate furnaces" Ornamental bricks have been kicked out, because no one uses them and they serve barely any function at all. Since both buildings are now one, I tried to reduce the amount of reactions in it.

Boneyard: Ups, armorstand, weaponrack and statue are missing... will be added.

Furniture Maker: The fancy set is for nobles. Nobles require chests, thats what the chests are for. One set covers one entire room a minor noble demands. FORGE_FURNITURE makes perfect sense though :)

Crematory: Yes, Furnace Operating again. After all, it is a furnace.

Timberyard: Very good idea with the automatic.

Rockforge:  Tube Section and Enormous Corkscrew are for pumps, not weapons/traps and should remain in the stonecutter. The 25 vs. 50 ammo is understandable, although I never encountered problems with dwarves not reloading.

Magma_Safe GrateMagma-Safe Tube Section and Magma-Safe Enormous Corkscrews are good ideas. I dont really understand why you would move the bed though? The furniture workshop is for sets.

AmmoCaster: Yes, only heavy metals for the blunt ammo types. I could add iron/steel though. New metals and alloys I didnt add yet, thanks for reminding me.

Gemstuff: Yep, same things missing as in the boneyard.

Trap engineer: Good idea. The buildings was made before the 25% droprate patch

gunsmiths: possibly with a new tool, but why? Mechanisms are already in the game, I dont want to indroduce things that are not needed.

metallurigst: those alloys dont exist atm.

crucible: Yes, blast furnace has been removed, because of the 1ore = 4 bars patch.

finishing forge: Tungsten is Wolfram. I made a mistake previously, Wolframite is the mineral, tungsten the metal produced from it. same thing. The finishing forge should in theory refine coarse copper, coarse iron and similar things, but a poll voted against such things. havent made up my mind yet about the buildings, but making metal without fuel is not too bad, some people will use it.

mithril forge: because it will be elven tech and will require trading of blueprints. I am even thinking of setting it up like the great magma forge, that way dwarves wont trade mithril in their caravans.

great magma forge: is noted, thanks.

creature armory: I plan to add more, but it is a lot of work for each creature. Reactions, inorganic mats and new creatures, for each single creature you want to armor. I took horses because they have armor in the medieval ages, never heard about an armored war yak though :P

golem forge: some problem, a lot of work, I guess I can add bronze golems (seriously there are no bronze golems, really?) but I wont do it for every metal.

fishpond: havent balanced this building yet, it creates food from nothing, so there must be a catch. (ha.ha.) It is currently way to easy to sustain a fort with the fishpond only.

chemistry lab: Yes. :) Doesnt trigger at every shot, but WOW, test it in the arena, it is beautiful when it does :)

archeology: Thank you :) I tested it in a fort with dfreveal and it seems a little bit overpowered, and I would like to create at least 3 times as many outcomes. So there is more to come, but I am glad you like it.

slaugherhouse: The soul reaction trains one combat skill immediatly to legendary. Not tested ingame yet, but I am quite sure that it works ;) Had something similar in the old mod. Imagine a mason makeing 750 chairs in one go. The soul reaction creates 750 useless garbage, inside a container using a combat skill. The one container is then taken and used up in an automatic reaction. A reward for killing a great beast, one free legendary skill :)

ContainerEssense has no skill, because butcher makes no sense, and I dont want people guessing at it. Maybe add stonecrafter/mason regardless ?

Armory: Custom gloves miss the handedness and dwarves wont use them. I can test, would be awesome if this was fixed while I wasnt looking.

Removed stuff: Brick oven and blast furnace, the crates will still come, no worries. ;) Just havent added it yet, I did not start on the entities yet.

ALPHABETIZATION: Wow. Your screenshot make compelling arguments, at least for the gem/stone/wood/cloth/leather/metal workshops that pump out crafts. I know that I tried to keep often used reactions on top, like bed/bin/barrel/bucket in the stonecutter, and not used stuff at the bottom, so people dont have to scroll that much. But your system is... a lot nicer. Will also take a full day of slow and diligent work ^^ Is added to the todo list at least, but has no priority atm. But really, I like it.

DECISIONS: Well. Good question. If xangi makes a fear-the-night mod, and I add it, all the decisions in this part are his. If I write an archeology system, all are mine. If wrex rebalances the weapons, they are his. Of course I am the one who packages it in the end, because I upload the mod to DFFD... I also use a lot of polls, to see if I am going the right or wrong direction. Right know I am thinking: Mh... maybe I should add the blastfurnace back in...  Point is: I am no professional game designer and will do things sometimes better, sometimes worse then you, the other guy, or the community. Just from experience I would say that 90% of the things people propose to me are put in. I would be hilariously stupid to disregard ideas and help from the forum ;)

So, if you write all the changes you propose and upload a file, I will download it, look through your changelog, keep probably 90% of it, and add it to the official mix. Gloves are still broken and smelting is Furnace Operating, but besides that most stuff seems to be well thought of.

Oh, and the specific metal bars: Game Balancing. You make the smelter first, make metal bars. Make metallurgist next, make steel bars. Make crucible, make higher metals. Thats why. Not realism. Think strategy game, not simulation.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 03:21:17 pm »

My reply is also going to take awhile...

Brick Oven is merged into Kiln. Made a poll about it, 90% approval ;) Pearlash and plaster uses smelting in vanilla DF, I didnt change anything. Smelting is named "Furnace Operating" ingame. The dwarf are not smelting stuff with the smelting skill, no, the "operate furnaces" Ornamental bricks have been kicked out, because no one uses them and they serve barely any function at all. Since both buildings are now one, I tried to reduce the amount of reactions in it.

That is a very good explanation about Furnace Operating, and now that I hear it I totally agree.   There are several other redundant skills that I think we can merge or get rid of, and this is as good a place to start as any.

I used ornamental bricks in my last fortress (for everything!) because they were of such high value.  It was a very happy fortress.  I agree that they're not entirely necessary though.

Boneyard: Ups, armorstand, weaponrack and statue are missing... will be added.

I believe I already have this flushed out and alphabetized.  We'll touch on this more later, but I can send you these files if you want.

Furniture Maker: The fancy set is for nobles. Nobles require chests, thats what the chests are for. One set covers one entire room a minor noble demands. FORGE_FURNITURE makes perfect sense though :)
Magma_Safe GrateMagma-Safe Tube Section and Magma-Safe Enormous Corkscrews are good ideas. I dont really understand why you would move the bed though? The furniture workshop is for sets.

The reason I think beds belong here is because in my version, where I make everything from blocks, you can make every masonry item here.  So, it was only natural to include the bed here, while leaving the barrel and bin at the Stonecutter.  I made the Stonecutter the workshop for StoneCrafting and Mechanics and the Furniture Workshop for masonry based furniture.  I changed Corkscrew, Tube Section, and traction bench to be crafted with Mechanics...and I think a couple other things like Cage and Chain as well.

I have both of these workshops flushed out and alphabetized (reactions requiring blocks) and I have the metal furniture in the Furniture Workshop set to FORGE_FURNITURE.

I honestly never used the "Furniture Sets" reactions because I'm always just making batches of furniture in 30's for everything as I need them and then atom smashing the poorer quality items.  I'm OCD in my forts...I want everything the same color and high quality.  But for those that don't care about that, the sets are a great tool.

Also, seriously, it's time to remove CLOTH from the bed reaction.  It's completely unnecessary.  :)

Crematory: Yes, Furnace Operating again. After all, it is a furnace.

Fair enough.  Might I make a suggestion for the Crematory to also add Ash Making and Charcoal making here?  If we do that, there's no need to have the default Wood Furnace in game.  We like getting rid of redundancy right?  :)

Timberyard: Very good idea with the automatic.

Thanks!  I'm playtesting that change right now and it's working like a charm.

Rockforge:  Tube Section and Enormous Corkscrew are for pumps, not weapons/traps and should remain in the stonecutter. The 25 vs. 50 ammo is understandable, although I never encountered problems with dwarves not reloading.

Enormous Corkscrew are 'TRAPCOMP' items and can definitely be used for weapon traps.  It's a minor point that doesn't matter though.  :)

I suggest you try the 25->50 ammo increase and let me know what you think.  It makes a world of a difference.  I can't wait for Toady to give us the 'o'rder to set on our ranged dwarfs to go grab more ranged ammo or enter melee.

AmmoCaster: Yes, only heavy metals for the blunt ammo types. I could add iron/steel though. New metals and alloys I didnt add yet, thanks for reminding me.

I can add these for you if you want.  Just let me know which metals and allows you want and I'll send you the RAWS.  We need to work out a method for us to send eachother text files.

Gemstuff: Yep, same things missing as in the boneyard.

I have this all flushed out and alphabetized already.  I can send it to you.

gunsmiths: possibly with a new tool, but why? Mechanisms are already in the game, I dont want to indroduce things that are not needed.

Because Steel mechanisms are EXPENSIVE!!!  It doesn't matter though.  :)

crucible: Yes, blast furnace has been removed, because of the 1ore = 4 bars patch.

Are there other batch smelting reactions that need to be created?

finishing forge: Tungsten is Wolfram. I made a mistake previously, Wolframite is the mineral, tungsten the metal produced from it. same thing. The finishing forge should in theory refine coarse copper, coarse iron and similar things, but a poll voted against such things. havent made up my mind yet about the buildings, but making metal without fuel is not too bad, some people will use it.

Yeah...sometimes you have zero fuel and you absolutely need that one bar to do something.  I like having the option personally.

creature armory: I plan to add more, but it is a lot of work for each creature. Reactions, inorganic mats and new creatures, for each single creature you want to armor. I took horses because they have armor in the medieval ages, never heard about an armored war yak though :P

Speaking specifically in game...Armoring your yaks is something that merchants would do when venturing in to dangerous territories.  Potentially, if they lose a single yak, they lose their entire caravan or wagon...   They don't need to be war yaks.  :) 

golem forge: some problem, a lot of work, I guess I can add bronze golems (seriously there are no bronze golems, really?) but I wont do it for every metal.

Nope...no Bronze Golems.   Copper, iron, gold, steel, mithril, titanium, and adamantine are the metals listed in the raws.   Gold Golems?  Gold?  Neat.

fishpond: havent balanced this building yet, it creates food from nothing, so there must be a catch. (ha.ha.) It is currently way to easy to sustain a fort with the fishpond only.

This workshop is basically a free food workshop.  I'm not a fan.  No big deal though since I never use it.  Fishing is a dangerous profession in DF, and it should stay that way.  :)

slaugherhouse: The soul reaction trains one combat skill immediatly to legendary. Not tested ingame yet, but I am quite sure that it works ;) Had something similar in the old mod. Imagine a mason makeing 750 chairs in one go. The soul reaction creates 750 useless garbage, inside a container using a combat skill. The one container is then taken and used up in an automatic reaction. A reward for killing a great beast, one free legendary skill :)

ContainerEssense has no skill, because butcher makes no sense, and I dont want people guessing at it. Maybe add stonecrafter/mason regardless ?

That was clever to have all that stuff go in to the container.  That makes it very clean.

Leave it as no skill I say.  That way, when you assign to this workshop the dwarf you want to go learn the free legendary skill, it won't matter what skill they use to do that clean up step.  No restricions...no annoying job cancellations and then re-setting up...

Armory: Custom gloves miss the handedness and dwarves wont use them. I can test, would be awesome if this was fixed while I wasnt looking.

I thought this got broken when hand armor was removed from invaders.  Theoretically, if that change is undone, perhaps glove armor handedness will be fix?  Does anyone else have any ideas or know how to test that?

Removed stuff: Brick oven and blast furnace, the crates will still come, no worries. ;) Just havent added it yet, I did not start on the entities yet.

I have a bunch of the crates that I was playing with already changed in the raws.  Tell me which ones you want and I'll send them over.

ALPHABETIZATION: Wow. Your screenshot make compelling arguments, at least for the gem/stone/wood/cloth/leather/metal workshops that pump out crafts. I know that I tried to keep often used reactions on top, like bed/bin/barrel/bucket in the stonecutter, and not used stuff at the bottom, so people dont have to scroll that much. But your system is... a lot nicer. Will also take a full day of slow and diligent work ^^ Is added to the todo list at least, but has no priority atm. But really, I like it.

Alphabetization makes a huge huge difference in the stone menus as well.  Even if you only alphabetize the separate raws by themselves, it's still a great decrease in eye scan time.

I will GLADLY alphabetize everything you want alphabetized!  Just send me the raw, or tell me which one you want done, and I'll do it.  Trust me...that one change will be people's favorite change to the game.  :)

DECISIONS: Well. Good question. If xangi makes a fear-the-night mod, and I add it, all the decisions in this part are his. If I write an archeology system, all are mine. If wrex rebalances the weapons, they are his. Of course I am the one who packages it in the end, because I upload the mod to DFFD... I also use a lot of polls, to see if I am going the right or wrong direction. Right know I am thinking: Mh... maybe I should add the blastfurnace back in...  Point is: I am no professional game designer and will do things sometimes better, sometimes worse then you, the other guy, or the community. Just from experience I would say that 90% of the things people propose to me are put in. I would be hilariously stupid to disregard ideas and help from the forum ;)

So, if you write all the changes you propose and upload a file, I will download it, look through your changelog, keep probably 90% of it, and add it to the official mix. Gloves are still broken and smelting is Furnace Operating, but besides that most stuff seems to be well thought of.

Oh, and the specific metal bars: Game Balancing. You make the smelter first, make metal bars. Make metallurgist next, make steel bars. Make crucible, make higher metals. Thats why. Not realism. Think strategy game, not simulation.

All that's left is for us to decide on a way to get you the RAWs I've already worked on.  If there are any other tasks you specifically need me to do, then feel free to "assign me that labor." 

One last thing about blocks.  Perhaps we could add one of those button things to all the reactions we have right now that require either boulders or blocks.  I could add one of those switches type things in the reactions YESBLOCKS if they want to use blocks for the reactions, or have it set to NO to user boulders.  Thoughts?

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 04:06:15 pm »

Actually, the soul-reaction only increased the skill to great. Tested it with a normal dwarf and 4 souls (two ettins murdered by a pile of golems), made great dodger, great swordsdwarf, great shielduser and great fighter, but not legendary.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 04:32:42 pm »

About bricks, I guess this went under the radar: burning brick blocks didn't need fuel in 1.9.x. Now it does, and that ruins the whole thing - please make brick-burning easy again, I like to build above ground, and bricks make building nice, homogen-colored walls and floors super smooth.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 04:40:34 pm »

About bricks, I guess this went under the radar: burning brick blocks didn't need fuel in 1.9.x. Now it does, and that ruins the whole thing - please make brick-burning easy again, I like to build above ground, and bricks make building nice, homogen-colored walls and floors super smooth.
I am slightly confused.
Are you talking about "brick firing" as in making kiln fired bricks or "brick burning" as in destroying bricks in a incinerator.
If you are talking about "brick firing" not all types of clay require firing, there are sun dried brick techniques, so fuel would not necessary be required for authenticity.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:42:14 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 04:45:50 pm »

Sorry, brick firing - I1m not a native English speaker, I confuse a few terms here and there.
Yes, I'm saying that making bricks shouldn't need fuel. Both for authentic, and for balance reasons: fuel is simply too valuable to be used for this.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 04:56:48 pm »

I think you could have both methods in the mod, firing with fuel would produce more valuable bricks that would be useful for decoration.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 05:05:44 pm »

@ishar: It makes 12 bricks from 3 boulders now... I thought the fuel wouldnt be so bad... the old version was imbalanced, because it was free stuff. Maybe a 50% chance to use the fuel again, or make it a few more bricks ? It is not much, 10 coke = 120 constructions/bricks. If you want to make bricks without fuel = Magma Kiln :)

@firehawk: Yes, I changes it from 1000 to only 750, so 25% less skill increase. Instant legendary was a bit... much. Legion dwarves should still get the legendary boost however. Everything went well ?  I noticed the typo with "make an axe" instead of "imbue soul (axe)" already and fixed it.

@mechanixm:

I cant touch the woodfurnace, neither remove the building nor add reactions to it... otherwise it would be long gone.

File sending: email or dropbox. You can send me the raws you already have, or refine them. I did work on the mod a bit, but I wont upload anything yet, because the changes are not that massive gameplaywise.

I will GLADLY alphabetize everything you want alphabetized!  Just send me the raw, or tell me which one you want done, and I'll do it.  Trust me...that one change will be people's favorite change to the game.
You are insane. If you want to sort stuff, go ahead. Whatever you like, I guess the reactions make the most sense. I am unsure about the inorganics, because I dont know how many I kick out for good. Optional settings are all nice and well, but it makes modding so much harder, I am avoiding it for now. But if you want to sort the inorganics, that will be no problem, the Python GUI has no problem with that (unlike the VB gui) Do you want to pack everything in one file then? Merge metal and metal_masterwork to one RAW, so you can sort all metals alphabetical ?

Batch reactions for metal: Unsure about that one. I kicked them out, because 1=4 is nice already. If I wanted to include them again things get ridiculus, like 36 bars of coke, or 5 ore = 20 bars in one go... but if you have any ideas for the finishing forge, let me know. :)

Random: Fishpond should need water and live fish to build, but how ? I mostly have it because any fisher dwarf is useless on a map without water/fish... I just wanted to give them something to do.

Golems: Remember that they should fight. Of course people could in theory make gold/lead/tin/silver golems, but any goblin with an ironsword would chop them to pieces... Bronze, I understand. Non-weapon grade metals ? Not really...

Whenever you feel like it (after alphabetizing the things you think make the biggest difference for example) sent me the raws you worked on. I will port most of it to the mod then. It will probably take more time to discuss every small chance beforehand, but I will let you know if (and why) I didnt add anything. And I will test the gloves :)

EDIT: I also remember seeing a mod (old genesis?) that added fake inorganic files called "===== FLUX =====" or "===== ECONOMIC =====" to sort the stone stock screen better... what do you think, better alphabetical, or sorted after categories ?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:18:00 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9