Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - Teamspeak  (Read 19612 times)

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - Teamspeak
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2012, 11:38:43 am »

Yes sayke, please email/mediafire/dropbox it. With binary patches you mean the version that can use more then 2gb ram, or more then that ?
I assume he means the binary patches that fix game bugs like this one that fixes "Long patrol duty" thoughts being gained from any assignment, even training.
As far as I know these are only available for Linux and Windows.

I know there are some more for the current version but I don't know how to find them quickly.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »

It would actually be easier to write a program to compile it [help docs] for us.
Agreed, the last project I worked on tried to maintain help separately from the actual code, and the truth is it never works. I spent so much time rewriting documentation I never had time to code, or the documentation was out of date and wrong, which made things even more confusing to the users, and myself! (I was the 4th person to maintain that project! I had to figure it out from the docs myself) Since the docs where so poor, I couldn't get anyone one else to help me.

The MDF2 gui is already smarter than the old one. It is file/object/entity/creature aware. The old gui would just flip through the raws and 'flip' specific bits, to hackishly turn items on and off. Our new one is allot smarter, however.... Dynamically generated help files won't make it into the first release... we are heading in that direction however...

I've tried pushing the idea of a Wiki or shared online resource for members of this team, but the idea is met unsuccessfully. 
We already have one, http://www.javaforge.com/project/MWDF
there is a wiki there for us to use for anything (no one has touched it) a bug tracker (mostly unused) and a code repository (I stopped pushing updates, due to lack of interest.)

This is something that is requested over and over, but no one ever uses. I know the site is a little clunky, but MDF2 includes DF which is a game we don't own the copyright to. We can't release toady's game as a full open source program, so not all hosting sites will accept us. We don't own the copyright to the 'raws' that make up the bulk of MDF. Also, unless we pay money to QT we MUST release the source to the masterwork gui, which is something I planed on doing anyways. If there are specific deficiencies of the javaforge site that are stopping people from using it they have never been brought up in discussion, therefor I haven't put any effort into setting up something better since what we have isn't being used.

MDF2 isn't in the code repo because there are only two versions, the alpha and the one meph is working on that no one has seen. MDF1 was in the code repo until 1.9.5 was released and it was frozen. Once Meph starts releasing MDF2 updates I'll probably get the repo going again if there is enough demand for it.

Eventually I want to get Meph using a repo directly, and having the app auto-update from the repo so that everyone is always up-to-date, and we don't have to include the raws in the gui download making that file smaller, and it having to be updated/re downloaded less often.

Someone sent me a new bugtracker, but I was going to wait untill meph got up and running again to talk to him about what kind of a bug tracking / help support system he wants to setup and use. Once we decide on something, We could also start to integrate it into the gui. However, so far the consensus has been just to keep using the forum threads. Meph does read it and keeps a list of issues on his own computer.

I hope this contribution helps in some small manner. 
Documentation always helps! Thank you!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2012, 01:22:54 pm »

I am personally against making anything an open community effort, like a wiki. It will be outdated or plain wrong, because some people just have no idea what they are talking about, and the other half is like: OMG, Yeah, as soon as it starts, and 2 weeks later it is mothballed. Sorry to be so blunt. I rather have personal control about it. And once the manual is finished it should answer most everything anyway.

I dont mean any code, python source or dfhack c++ code, that can be open source, for other modders/users to enjoy.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Socrates27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2012, 05:46:27 pm »

@Meph

I can understand the need for quality documentation.  There were parts of the document where I had to check three separate raw files to obtain the correct name for a particular type of pants for instance.  Many reference names and display names in vanilla dwarf fortress can be entirely misleading altogether at first glance. 

@zener

It's possible to create a program in most any language, even visual basic or python, that searches through the raws for key tags and builds a specific section based on key search results as a separate file.  But like I believe Meph said, we're already so close to completing alpha's manual that for now this will suffice.  A dynamic manual which would be a tremendous help and yeah the hacks Meph used for the previous versions are pretty clever.

I haven't had much of a chance to play around with the alpha gui settings, but considering 2-3 people are working on it I'd hope it's better haha :)

These all sounds like great ideas!  But ultimately the final decision rests with Meph.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »

@meph - the patched exe is available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7eglopm737oy2s/Dwarf%20Fortress.exe.zip

let me know if you can't access it!

basically, what i did was go through and apply all binary fixes mentioned on the bugtracker (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/search.php?tag_string=binary+patch), most of them noted and fixed by quietust. i've gone through and added them to my executable. i haven't started a new game since i did so, but i definitely haven't seen any instability from having implemented them.

also, i've gone through and fixed a bunch of the sprites. many of them still had black or pink backgrounds, and while i'm not completely sure what all sprites are in use, i was pretty systematic about trying to go through and clean them up. i just added a plain dark brown background, but if you thought it was a constructive thing to do, i'd figure out how to do apply the phoebus mask pattern to them all. he clearly put some thought into it - it shows. or rather, it doesn't show - it blends right into the background...! =)

also, given the several admittedly minor bugs and their fixes mentioned in the main thread here since the release of 1.9.5, would it be too much trouble to compile them into a quick 1.9.6 release? i've done that for myself, as best i can, with my own minor modifications included, but i would be happy to try to compile a baseline release under your tutelage. i'd have some questions, of course, but most of the fixes have already come up on the main thread, so it doesn't seem incredibly difficult...!

finally, glad to have you back =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2012, 10:21:11 am »

I nominate we get this plug-in added to MDF2 just like that other plug-in that allows for searching.

Construction Helper Plugin: auto material selection
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119369.0
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]