Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Kosothtulon, the Toll-Gate Fortress: A Whole New World  (Read 2986 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Stakuddakas, the Toll-Gate Fortress: Let's try again, without aquifers!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 11:49:29 pm »

I got my flash drive working! Alright...here we go.

--Early Slate--

Plans are made for a hospital (including a storage area, well, and five separate rooms), a meeting hall, a dormitory for those who have no rooms yet, and a massive dining hall over a hundred and fifty feet long and nearly 60 feet wide, with an entrance wide enough for a wagon to go through and a ceiling a bronze colossus could stand up in, are drawn up. Also planned are a massive food storage area, even bigger than the dining hall, although not as tall, and some rooms for me and the others. Specifically, we will all get offices, statues, and beds.

Most of this is a long-term goal, however. short-term, we will simply be content to survive and such.

-----

I might not update for a bit, since I have a succession fortress to do. The succession fort seems to rely on a crash-causing mod, so more Machinecolored yay!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:58:36 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2012, 12:23:07 am »

--Mid- to Late Slate--

I note a herd of wild horses, seemingly beckoning our horses to follow them.
A troglodyte somehow left the caverns and started running about on the surface. Our would-be militia captain was asleep, so oh never mind Reg woke up. Not before the trog punched our farmer in the guts...

Erm, this is odd. It seems that the carpenter/miner and my narrating character were both killed by a troglodyte named Negatedrisk, with a punch to the head each. The carpenter had a pick! Negatedrisk, or Kezneshat, was a very skinny troglodyte woman who promptly began chasing a horse. And successfully harming it. One of her girlfriends, Rinsetakers (Ethabenkos, the one from earlier) killed the militia commander, so shoot. The mason/miner/new expedition leader and the woodcutter were both asleep, but a farmer and a bone carver/mechanic were both able to attack, so I had them stand up aganst the troglodyte menace! In a minor victory, the miner killed a troglodyte (why are they all migrating to the surface?) and gained enough wrestling skill to be a wrestler when I recruited everyone to fight off the trogs. our dwarves, two horses, and some other critters against a couple troglodytes. Result: One live farmer, one more named troglodyte ("Equalchains", or Tinothnicat).

The new expedition leader, Atir Yellsbook, has a bruised skull and just killed a troglodyte with the pick he grabbed from the cooling hands of the first to die.
...I think I like my new perspective character.

That quite neatly ends Slate.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2012, 07:49:59 am »

Journal of Atir Yellsbook, last survivor of Stakuddakas

--Felsite--

Only one troglodyte is left--Wqualchains. He's killed a goat, a turkey hen, and is working on a horse. Probably doesn't have much time left, poor beast.
Pretty much the first thing I do is start work on the food stockpile. Not the big one Tin had, of course, a smaller, more practical one nearer to the farm I set up. Digging through solid phyllite is exhausting, but it's as good a way to start as any, and as of halfway through the month I feel skilled enough to term myself a novice.
The troglodyte wanders off, and a helmet snake wanders in. I wonder if the elves will care about us unleashing a bunch of deadly apes into their precious wilderness. It's close to the end of the month before I take a break to get a bite to eat and some much-needed ale to drink, and by then the stockpile's mostly finished.

Summer's dawning sees me planting the first plump helmets of the fortress.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2012, 07:55:51 am »

--Hematite--

It's the 6th. That helmet snake looks scary, so instead of dragging the goats back to their pasture I'll take a nap here, well within 40 feet of it...
Okay, that was a bad idea. Is bit me in the throat, which while I broke its grip is rather painful. It keeps biting me, but I haven't been hit with venom yet...I think. I dodge away from the attack and oh God this is turning into something from What Would Urist Do?

He dodged into the magma pipe...Oh, my...

Who wants a dwarf in the reclaim party?
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stakuddakas, the Toll-Gate Fortress: Reclaiming post-magma-dodge
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2012, 08:20:47 pm »

I do not intend to reclaim until I have six or so other dwarves to reclaim with.
Sig

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2012, 09:58:15 pm »

I do not intend to reclaim until I have six or so other dwarves to reclaim with.
Me. Misko. Broker. Of DOOM.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 08:32:59 am »

Care if you're also bookkeeper and manager?

Anyone else want a dwarf? Five slots left!
Sig

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 08:37:24 am »

Dorf me! Noobazzah, a mason.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 08:41:50 am »

Four spots! Miners and farmers needed!
Sig

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 12:11:35 pm »

Me! Miner/mason Peregar
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2012, 02:36:22 pm »

I suppose another dwarf's due...  but not as myself.  (Got Trog'd after all.)
If male miner:  Roger
If Female miner:  Rosalyn
If Male farmer:  Robert
If Female farmer:  Reba
(I feel like I went overboard, not unlike my love for crundle.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2012, 07:05:51 pm »

Two spots left!
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 09:12:24 pm »

Bad news: While reinstalling DF, I lost Stakuddakas.
Good news:

That is a road between a Mountainhome and a dark fortress. I will found the new fortress there.

Gimme a chance to embark and stuff...
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kosothtulon, the Toll-Gate Fortress: A Whole New World
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 09:45:09 pm »

We are the Puce Palisade, a group of dwarves hand-picked for this project: To set up a get between the Mountainhomes and the dark fortress to the north. There are seven of us, of course: Misko, the historian, bookie, and broker; Peregarrett, a kindly miner and mason; Noobazzah, the same but more easily angered; Robert, a short and just incredibly fat farmer who likes dogs; Dodok, a woodworker who is short, skinny, and likes chains; Iden, a potter and stonecrafter whose personality and lack of better things to do earned him the title of chief medical dwarf; and yours truly, GreatWyrmGold, a mechanic and the head of this community. We also have a dozen chickens (oh how I love them), four cats, six dogs, a horse, a yak, and a bunch of supplies. Let's get this earth struck!
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kosothtulon, the Toll-Gate Fortress: A Whole New World
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 10:18:41 pm »

--Granite Report--

So far, so good. In the first month of the fortress, the miners mined a few farms, a couple stockpiles, and so forth. We even struck magnetite, limonite, and a couple types of coal,  but out charter more or less forbids metalworking. Shame; perhaps we could export the ore.
Towards the end of the month, Peregarrett gained enough mining skill to claim it as a profession.

-----

I know people that would kill (dwarves, elves, and goblins) for this embark...
Sig
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4