Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Am I missing something in becoming a necromancer...?  (Read 1420 times)

centerflag982

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Am I missing something in becoming a necromancer...?
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »

After days of trying to survive the second floor of the one tower in my world, I finally made off with the necromancers' slab. When I read it, all it says is "The secrets of life and death" and nothing seems to happen.

Is the ability to raise dead not used from the ability menu or something? Or is this not the right slab?
Or, third possibility, does a race have to have a certain token to be able to do this? I made goblins playable and I've been using them each time I've tried so far, so maybe that could be the issue... I dunno.

If anyone could shed some light on the situation I'd really appreciate it :)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Am I missing something in becoming a necromancer...?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:35:12 pm »

Modding could have something to do with it. I have only seen human and dwarf necros so far, but don't know if necromancy is limited to certain species.

You definitely have the right slab, and yes animate dead is an ability. There should also be some icon.

You can actually read, right? (No offense, just asking because sometimes people forget to put points in reader skill.)

centerflag982

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:37:09 pm »

Yeah, novice reading. Possible that it is race-related - though I can't see any tokens anywhere that might relate to such an ability

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:37:17 pm »

Goblins and elves are immortal. Necromancers are immortal, a immortal cannot be immortal twice. Thus elves and goblins are not eligible for necromancy. Give them a max age and they will be eligible.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

centerflag982

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:39:23 pm »

Ohhhhh huh. Didn't know goblins were. Thanks :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:53:44 pm »

Goblins and elves are immortal. Necromancers are immortal, a immortal cannot be immortal twice. Thus elves and goblins are not eligible for necromancy. Give them a max age and they will be eligible.

I don't think this is true--goblins will simply not care to become necromancers because the primary reason for becoming a necromancer is immortality, which goblins have no reason to worry about.

centerflag982

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 11:52:13 pm »

Yeah, seems to be the case... even with a max age set it still doesn't work.

I'm trying to just leave the slab for another character but it seems to somehow return to the tower after a certain amount of time

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:06:15 am »

Leave the slab infront of the tower always works for me

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 03:05:20 pm »

If you leave the slab very far away, it'll also stay put. You could even build a fortress around it if you wanted, though you'd need to put it in a landmark to make it easy to find, like a shrine or volcano or something.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »

From the secret's example reaction:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This would imply the creature reading the slab is only a possible target if it meets these requirements. MORTAL just means not immortal or otherwise has a MAXAGE token. Elves and goblins are immortal (have no MAXAGE token) and are thus not a candidate.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.