Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bone weapons suck, but what about an artifact?  (Read 2864 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Bone weapons suck, but what about an artifact?
« on: September 19, 2012, 08:28:04 pm »

So bones suck ass, but would a artifact be any better. A yak bone battle axe, decorated with yak leather.

What metal do you think it would be closest to?

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
Re: Bone weapons suck, but what about an artifact?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:31:21 pm »

I think it will hit a lot more of the time than a non-artifact one, and possible do more damage or something but I'm sure it will still not penetrate any metal armor.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:56:37 pm »

So bones suck ass, but would a artifact be any better. A yak bone battle axe, decorated with yak leather.

Might I reccomend giving it to your captain of the guard?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:07:17 pm »

As a symbol of office, or because it is good.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:14:17 pm »

Symbol of office.
I'd be careful, though. Artifact bone weapons are supposed to be murder on unarmored targets, and don't CotGs deliver beatings?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:36:14 pm »

I believe only if you don't have a Hammerer, but YMMV.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 02:36:33 am »

Symbol of office.
I'd be careful, though. Artifact bone weapons are supposed to be murder on unarmored targets, and don't CotGs deliver beatings?
In some of the later weapons the behaviour of beatings and tantrums was changed: they are now always delivered with bare fists even if dwarf is armed. Fists are still pretty lethal though, and hammerer is completely another thing.

Nubshiggurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:54:36 am »

I got an artifact golden breastplate, but I am unsure if it is good or not. I know density matters for blunt weapons, but I don't know if it matters for armor.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 03:01:17 am »

gold is too soft for good armor.
armor care not for density all it does is make it heavyer.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 05:39:06 am »

AFAIC slade armour was considered overpowered.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:44:16 am »

Argh, wrong post.

TO answer the question, artifacts get a multiplier to hit and defense (3x I believe), but the material still soft and isn't super useful. That being said, material doesn't seem to factor into shields so a bone shield is as good as a candy one based on other comments here.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 10:00:37 am »

AFAIC slade armour was considered overpowered.

I tested this myself the other day, masterwork candy sword couldn't damage slade armor. Although a hoard of zombies ripped the poor dwarf to pieces. Note that even with max skills the dwarf barely moved.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 12:36:12 pm »

This is good to know. I just had a yak bone spear made. I think I will save it for executions against stripped chained gobbo prisoners.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 02:25:28 pm »

Against unarmored targets it will annihilate them. Against anybody wearing armor (even potentially just wearing clothing), it will be fairly useless.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 03:54:32 pm »

Against unarmored targets it will annihilate them. Against anybody wearing armor (even potentially just wearing clothing), it will be fairly useless.

This.

/thread.

Closest to copper only because coppers pretty crap and bone is worse apart from against unarmored, where as said, will be impressively good.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.
Pages: [1] 2