Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: My coming out of the closet issues.  (Read 30412 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My coming out of the closet issues.
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2012, 10:40:09 am »

Sorry, I can't remember just where/what this store is, but: Is this a family business? (As in, run by your family)

If so, wouldn't there be a risk of scaring away Conservative-minded customers? ??? I know, in a perfect world no-one would have a problem with this, but if it's your family's business/income, are you sure it's a good idea to display it so prominently?
You shouldn't be too hard on your father if he's just worried about losing thin-skinned, intolerant customers. They have they same money as anyone else, after all.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2012, 10:52:18 am »

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't shed any tears over the loss of a bigoted customer base.

This "don't rock the boat" attitude is the perfect way for people to never have their beliefs on things this this challenged.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2012, 10:54:37 am »

Yes, it's a family business, and yes, I think that is his concern.

I am the secretary. If anyone has a problem with it, I'll be the one they bring it up to, since I'm sitting right next to it. It's not even very prominently displayed; there's a tiny bulletin board by the wall, filled with political propaganda (several anti obama things, put up by other employees), and it's just up there.

Let's suppose it gets taken down and for that very reason. I get to have a nice friendly discussion as to why, and I get to shove in his face the prejudice I've feared so much. If he backs down due to bigoted customers, I get to open his eyes to why homophobia is such a horrible thing. I get to show him how a poster that just says "empathy" on it can make idiots angry. I get to show him why it's such a big deal to me, and why I'm not happy about being silent.

Honestly, worst (best?) case scenario is nothing happens. No one ever says anything. Worst in that I never get that discussion, best in that people actually don't care either way if I'm bi, which is the ultimate ideal anyway.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2012, 10:56:50 am »

I guess that's a good point. Still, money... *shrug* 

Ahhh, okay. :P For some reason my sleep-deprived mind had this image of Kaijyuu sitting there with a toothy smile, hands clasped atop a desk with a big, colourful banner draped across the wall above it. I am a derp.

Yeah, that seems more like a good test of his reaction/character than anything.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2012, 11:24:20 am »

Failing that, just have the whole damn board taken down, because some of that stuff would probably cause folks like me to just turn around and walk back out without ever discussing buying anything.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2012, 11:34:14 am »

I'm fine with it all. People can say what they like, imo.

Anywho, poster's still up. No comments from any customers, other employees, etc. As usual, I can't tell if people don't care or are just trying to ignore things out of "courtesy." At least I'm visibly "out" now to the community.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2012, 11:36:11 am »

The whole thing just seems...really unprofessional. Business is business, man. There's a reason I don't wear a scarlet A pin or rainbow wristband to work.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2012, 11:37:55 am »

Depends on the business, MZ.  Some allow people to express their opinions and the business itself may do so as well, even if it loses part of the customer base.  Like the feminist gay coffee shop I like to visit.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2012, 11:39:05 am »

Point taken. However, when you're not working in a niche customer base, it becomes a problem.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2012, 11:45:12 am »

Depends on the business, MZ.  Some allow people to express their opinions and the business itself may do so as well, even if it loses part of the customer base.  Like the feminist gay coffee shop I like to visit.
Do they only serve feminist gay coffee?
My wooden badge was delicious.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2012, 11:52:05 am »

I hope so. I want some.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:24 am »

Do they only serve feminist gay coffee?

So, that's why it tastes so good. :P
Seriously, though, it has probably the best coffees and lattes I've ever had.  Also, there's a number of hawt, independent women there.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2012, 02:19:50 pm »

Feminist gay coffee? I must try that before trying Kopi Luwak
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2012, 07:10:58 pm »

Someone stole my poster! I couldn't find it in any of the garbage cans. Father says he doesn't know who took it down. Might've been a customer, might've been another employee; it was gone when I got there and I waited until the day was over before bringing it up (it was a busy day).

Fortunately I brought an extra. New one's up. I'll print out a couple more too~

The silence is grating. My parents simply will not talk to me about their issues with my being bi, and they're evasive when I try to talk to them. So I at least am not going to be silent :)

Oh, and a fun minor anecdote:

Mother: What did your therapist say about your... new lifestyle?
Me: He was very supportive!
Mother: *dismissive huff*
Me: Well he is a therapist. He also scoffed at you guys being unhappy about it.
Mother: Well, what parent WOULD be happy with it?
Me: Lots, mom.
Mother: Yeah right.

I suppose I should be grateful that I'm just being ignored with some very passive disappointment, rather than actively chastised. That little conversation is pretty much the most either have said about it for a week. I can understand hiding one's feelings out of fear (I did that myself most my life), but I'm just not sure what they're afraid of. Me? Confrontation? Being wrong?

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2012, 07:20:08 pm »

They're afraid of something being different and upsetting their apple cart.  They like everything to be easily understandable and would easily dismiss LGBT stuff as being "other" and belonging outside their community and family.  But, then it is dumped on their lap, as it should be, and shakes their world view a bit...how they deal with it varies from person to person.

And to answer your mother's question, there are mothers who wouldn't care, my former roommates mother didn't let it bother her.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12