Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The smallest mistake that caused you the biggest fallout.  (Read 8356 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: The smallest mistake that caused you the biggest fallout.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 10:19:32 pm »

Built elaborate entrance hall for a succession fort.  Built bridge to seal things off.  I then handed the save over, thinking that future players could fight or turtle as so desired.

Turns out I never actually got around to hooking said bridge up to a lever.

Fun times.

Also possibly the time I pulled the wrong lever, and instead of sealing off the depot I opened the second caverns and a zombie FB wandered into my fort.  However only one person died from that, so the fallout wasn't as big.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 11:28:15 pm »

In an old fort of mine, there was this one time when I had my Dwarves build a giant bubble. Needless to say, one designation was canceled due to wild buzzard interruption, and all of the goblins rushed through that one designation. The Dwarves couldn't even get out, because the goblins held both exits. It culminated in a final showdown between Marks/Axedwarves by the gate and conscripted civilians fighting it out across the city against the goblins.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 11:42:11 pm »

I would call fundamental misunderstandings of how to have a sustainable farm, a metal industry, a working military, and how to handle a siege big mistakes.
My little mistake is not having more fun.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 12:23:21 am »

Accidentally traded bins back in a 40d fort, when the Baroness had banned their trade.  Justice was active.  20 dorfs died from hammerings, and the tantrum spiral finished off the rest.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 12:41:13 am »

I thought I had an impenetrable fortress. What I didn't realize, however, that my hill-top outdoors barracks had a "Construction suspended" floor tile. In an open space. Above a ramp.

Your strength has been broken.

Before that, there was a similar incident where I'd forgot do dig out one tile in each section of a length of "scissors" drawbridge pairs opening in opposite directions... allowing diagonal access from under one raised bridge to the next, which the invaders of course used to trash my fort. Like so:
Code: [Select]
fort
=#_   _=
=_   _#=
=#_   _=
=_   _#=
________
________
g++

#=bridge, raised
_=ground
 =empty space
==wall
g++=Bad Guys™
Problem, right there. ::)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:44:31 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 06:05:07 am »

A discarded item in a door that should keep my workers inside during sieges.

If a siege or ambush comes, i set my civilian alert to go down inside, then seal the doors to the upper levels where the military assembles, then set civilians to inactive again so they can go on with their work (i couldnt be arsed to extend the burrow down to every level of the fortress).

But a single shoe or mitten in the door that i automatically q-l-oŽd without checking if it was jammed or not, led to a few new orphans.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 06:25:15 am »

A discarded item in a door that should keep my workers inside during sieges.

If a siege or ambush comes, i set my civilian alert to go down inside, then seal the doors to the upper levels where the military assembles, then set civilians to inactive again so they can go on with their work (i couldnt be arsed to extend the burrow down to every level of the fortress).

But a single shoe or mitten in the door that i automatically q-l-oŽd without checking if it was jammed or not, led to a few new orphans.

ORPHANS YOU SAY? *initiates Dwarven Child Care*
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 08:10:10 am »

Didnt excessive science show that child care was largely inefficient?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 08:43:15 am »

I once sealed off my fort's entrance-tunnel with a retracting bridge.  Siege comes, i confidently pull the lever, and rather than forming an impenetrable wall, the bridge disappears and the goblins all stream in and proceed to massacre my populace.  I managed to seal off my Mayor and a random child in a small section of the living quarters.  However, they had no food, no water, and no pick, so my strength was broken regardless. 

Important lesson: DESIGNATE A RETRACTION DIRECTION FOR YOUR BRIDGES. 
Second lesson: Did you know that Cave Dragons will break open coffins and eat the bodies inside?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 08:46:26 am »

Second lesson: Did you know that Cave Dragons will break open coffins and eat the bodies inside?

Wha?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 09:16:18 am »

Yes. However, since there's not much else for children to do...

Personally, I've experimented, but I really prefer to just put them to harvesting and deconstruction. They can train as miners once they're grown, and that seems to increase future soldiers' physical stats just fine without the potential for death and maiming.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 09:16:25 am »

I was trying to build a screw-pump fed cistern to de-salinate the water from the ocean for a well. I didn't understand water pressure at this time.. my first attempt at playing around with it. Tapped the ocean about 3 z-levels down from the surface. In one tick of time it killed the miner doing the work and flooded 3/4 of my fort. Left me with some farms and some storage, but I just quit at that point, lol.

I've since learned more about water pressure AND to use flood gates (and redundant flood gates, for that matter)
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 09:31:18 am »

Yeah. Typically either the child is gruesomely maimed first, or they don't gain any skills. The main difficulty is finding an animal that won't kill the child eventually, but will still attack them and cause the child issues. Since this is DF, basically everything can kill you given enough time to peck at your brain.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:51 am »

rabbits?  thats a sbenign as I can think of.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 09:56:28 am »

Surprisingly lethal. Their bites are pretty dangerous, not to mention it goes the other way too, the child can easily kill a rabbit.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3