Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The smallest mistake that caused you the biggest fallout.  (Read 8363 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
The smallest mistake that caused you the biggest fallout.
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:02:24 pm »

You know that saying about how a butterfly flapping it's wings start a windstorm elsewhere? Well, lets see the stories about how a single untamed horse caused a loyalty cascade that wiped out half a fort. :P
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
Re: The smallest mistake that caused you the biggest fallout.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:15:19 pm »

Let's just say my smallest mistake thus far was trying a board of monopoly underground, with an ocean to boot.  Aquifers stopped my megaproject cold.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 03:28:03 pm »

My largest mistake was setting up a magma flood room from the nearby volcano, and forgetting a magma-safe mechanism on the gate...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:29:29 pm »

I forgot that an aquifer was above us... twice.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 03:49:26 pm »

I brought two instead of three picks once, as I usually do three.

The cave-in killed the two miners, which then made fun fun aquifer popping, which in turn buried my picks under twelveteen levels of water.

Should've taken three... should've taken three...
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »

Thinking keas are harmless, Keas......

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 04:16:00 pm »

Thinking keas are harmless, Keas......

Fucking keas.  In numbers theyll rape a dworf and steal all your stuff.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 05:53:02 pm »

Current fort - While filling my magma reservoir (it covers 3 z levels, and is 40x40) I left the pumps on, and part of the pumps supplying a smaller reservoir overfilled, causing my entire powertrain and 2 z levels of farms and tree farms to catch fire. Oops.

Older fort - a hill titan attacks (beware its fire). I send out the military to defeat it... resulting in the surface of the map catching fire, obliterating almost the whole military (and everything above ground). It invades the soil layers, where the farms are (as well as food and drink storage) catching a few dwarves unaware. That level burns. The last !!military!! member, who has had all the fat melted off him, and is near death, manages to decapitate the titan. After the fires die out, nothing is left but his armor and weapon, which are placed in his tomb (platinum sarcophagus, slabs dedicated to him and the hill titan, more lavish than any king would ever deserve).

Mostly, death by fire. I've had no recent accidents with an aquifer, just tons of !!Fun!!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 05:55:51 pm »

Forgot to turn off unfinished water towers power off. It didn't have enough power when I first tried it, and I realized it would flood in its current state. I tried remedying these both at once. The power came back on first, and the pump-stack activated. You can guess the rest.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 07:28:14 pm »

A butterfly flew into a door, leading to it being killed by a cat, leading to the door not closing, leading to a bunch of goblins entering.
Some humans were set on fire. Some dwarves were bothered by the smoke. One tantrum spiral later, only a child and a militia dwarf were left.
Both from Boatmurdered.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 07:49:40 pm »

A butterfly flew into a door, leading to it being killed by a cat, leading to the door not closing, leading to a bunch of goblins entering.
Some humans were set on fire. Some dwarves were bothered by the smoke. One tantrum spiral later, only a child and a militia dwarf were left.
Both from Boatmurdered.

I was hoping someone would mention the Butterfly, Bane of Boatmurdered.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 08:07:15 pm »

I thought you could sell caged gobbos. (This was way back when I first started playing)
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 08:56:01 pm »

As for me, forgetting that a certain door lead to a semi-forgotten access to the caverns, and unforbiding it. Swarm of dwarves rush to the caverns. Swarm of cavern dwellers rush to devour my dwarves. Many lulz were had as the webspinning FB ruined everyone in a tiny hallway.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 09:08:19 pm »

Let's see... Two times I've screwed up from tiny things. Once was building a door instead of a drawbridge gate in a wall, which led to goblins lockpicking in and slaughtering people. Fortunately they were stopped by a champion with an injured spine lazing about in a barracks.

The better time was when I built a well but forgot how fluid works; I was drawing on a river on the top of a mountain to fill a well at the bottom. Whole fort flooded and everyone died.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 10:11:58 pm »

One misbuilt section of wall, one deadly-dust FB, twenty-six dead dwarves, one tantrum spiral, two survivors, and more miasma than you can shake a stick at. The closest I've ever come to a fort crumbling and still recovered.
Pages: [1] 2 3