Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A Philosophical Debate of Human Worth and Related Moral Quandaries  (Read 5850 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: A Philosophical Debate of Human Worth and Related Moral Quandaries
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2012, 07:20:55 pm »

Is it moral to choose one person you value to live at the expense of two others you value less?
Morality isn't math. You can't put an objective value on people and compare them in order to determine who has the highest number.

That said, it depends entirely on the situation. If I have the choice between killing two people who are about to murder someone (doesn't matter what for, so long as it isn't self defense), or letting the murder take place, I'd take the former option. That's unlikely to ever happen though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2012, 07:22:47 pm »

I consider defending someone else to be just as justified (if not more) than self defense.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2012, 07:45:58 pm »

That would qualify under vengeance, which I have no sympathy toward.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2012, 08:32:11 pm »

I cook children.

how far does that make me drop?
:P

And what is this great crime you refer to?

As to cooking children we need to know how many to score you on the Hitler-centric (warning: 4chan link) evil rating scheme.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 02:44:22 pm by Zrk2 »
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2012, 09:40:54 pm »

I consider defending someone else to be just as justified (if not more) than self defense.

This. And if you don't, you're a pretty shitty person, to be quite honest. :P Just saying.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2012, 11:19:01 pm »

Is it moral to choose one person you value to live at the expense of two others you value less?

If the one person has more value then the two combined then yes. Or course, how you define a persons value is up to you but I would assume that caring for someone raises their value in your eyes significantly.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2012, 11:25:46 pm »

I cook children.

As to cooking children we need to know how many to score you on the Hitler-centric evil rating scheme.

Just a friendly warning, you should probably mark that link as NSFW. Because 4chan.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »

Value of human life is in the eye of the beholder and arbitrary.
Personally, I will always value my own and 'my interests' above that of a stranger. 
Like on a sliding scale:

Me/'My Interests' > 'Strangers' > 'Criminals'

Monkey Sphere was it?  I would act in my self interests more often then I would act for the sake of what could be defined as current societies/peers 'morale code'.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2012, 02:09:30 pm »

Posting to watch.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2012, 02:43:55 pm »

I cook children.

As to cooking children we need to know how many to score you on the Hitler-centric evil rating scheme.

Just a friendly warning, you should probably mark that link as NSFW. Because 4chan.

Good idea.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2012, 06:42:50 pm »

Do human beings have value in the sense that they should be preserved least value is lost? That is sort of a utilitarian idea, but it doesn't really mesh well with reality.

If human life had value, independent of other factors, then the banning of DDT was possibly the greatest crime in human history, millions of people have died from malaria and other tropical diseases as well as starvation because they no longer had an affordable pesticide. They justified banning it because it was harmful to birds and bees and whatnot.

So I don't think morality really boils down to some value placed on a person, but society as a system of laws determines the ACT of murder to be a punishable, undesirable thing, while neglect or accidents are weighed as less severe, even if the result is the same.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2012, 11:21:42 am »

What is the ultimate decider of humanities worth?  Quality of human life?  Progression of scientific knowledge?  Philosophical insight?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2012, 12:45:13 pm »

What is the ultimate decider of humanities worth?  Quality of human life?  Progression of scientific knowledge?  Philosophical insight?
For the individual, their place in the moral community.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2012, 01:12:43 pm »

I would argue that collective knowledge and unification towards one goal is the ultimate expression of man.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2012, 01:45:10 pm »

I would argue that collective knowledge and unification towards one goal is the ultimate expression of man.

I would say the opposite. Humanity achieves it's greatest potential and morality when everyone is free to live as they please, instead of being shackled to some overarching goal that they had no choice in.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]