Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Heal someone? Dwarf cannot walk? What options do I have?  (Read 2175 times)

viperwasp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to Heal someone? Dwarf cannot walk? What options do I have?
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:47:59 pm »

I have a dwarf that got in a fight VS an alligator. He got a head and leg injury and cannot walk. I'm not sure if it's nerve damage or not. I opened the raw tissue file and hopefully set it so nerve damage can naturally heal. But I don't know if that is retro active for games already started. 

I am at the start of my game I'm only like 20 minutes game play in. But I have a Dwarf that is maxed level 20 in all medic/ surgery skills.  So yes I cheated to start off with very good dwarfs. But the game is very unfair when a simple alligator can take out my hunter with level 10-20 skills and the best start off equipment in the first 10 minutes of game play. Steel crossbow with steel bolts! 

So hes beside a small lake and cannot move!  Is there any way to save him? I have a lot of supplies but am not far into the game!  I can't figure out how to bring food/water to the dwarf, carry him back to a hospital or even get my dwarfs to understand he exists! In my opinion as soon as dwarf looses his ability to walk he is thus stuck to die of thirst then thats really silly. But I imagine there is something I am missing. In the process of setting up a hospital area. Hopefully then my Legendary all around medic dwarf can do something. Me in real life with limited strength and little understanding of First Aid can lend 100% more help and assistance then my whole fort can at this point. Hes not even that far away. I could drag him to a bed if the game would let me. I have played a fair bit of this game cheating and not cheating... so I know a lot. 

The only things I don't yet understand is how to help an injured dwarf. And how to force a dwarf to change gear or equipment. I know they change things on there own at least a little. But I have no idea how to manage there gear myself.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Heal someone? Dwarf cannot walk? What options do I have?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:58:26 pm »

He needs to be brought to bed. Set up a hospital.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:49:39 am »

I'm not sure if it's retroactive or not, but you want to make sure you modded the raws for your world not the worldgen raws. You've got raws saved for generated worlds and raws used during the world generation.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 02:10:30 am »

A) Make a hospital zone. There has to be a bed in the zone, and it really helps if there's a table right next to the bed. Traction benches don't hurt, either.
B) Ensure someone (Anyone!) has the "Recover Wounded" labor turned on.
C) Make sure you have a Chief Medical Dwarf, and that they have the "Diagnose Wounds" labor on.

Optional:

D) Ensure you have adequate buckets to keep Urist McNolegs from dying of thirst in the hospital. Dwarves can't drink booze while in bed.
E) Keep some thread, splints, crutches, and soap on hand for fixing wounds.

Everything should be hunky dory after all these steps are taken. Good luck!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 02:56:13 am »

Nerves that are severed will not heal even with a healing rate, IIRC.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:53:39 am »

Yeah, they're severed as in limb. If your evidence for severed nerves is the not-moving, though, don't worry; when waiting to be rescued, dwarves always take it easy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

viperwasp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:05:24 pm »

Thanks everyone... I brought a drink next to the fallen dwarf and he seems to have had some. Then he got up and was walking with a sprint? But I don't think I have properly setup the hospital yet. Still in the process of getting some of the supplies I need.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:06:56 pm »

Thanks everyone... I brought a drink next to the fallen dwarf and he seems to have had some. Then he got up and was walking with a sprint? But I don't think I have properly setup the hospital yet. Still in the process of getting some of the supplies I need.
As long as your hospital zone exists, even if it hasn't been stocked completely or the dwarf isn't in the hospital at the current moment, it is still technically possible for your doctors to go to work with what they have.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 06:13:59 pm »

You'll get health care even without a hospital zone.  The wounded will be taken to their own personal bedroom, and the doctors will treat them there, if necessary.  It's more efficient to have a hospital so the patients are all in one place instead of scattered all over the continent.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz