Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I scared away all the sieges  (Read 1352 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
I scared away all the sieges
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:30:49 pm »

Ok so my fortress is 7 years old, about 150 dwarves strong and worth about 2 million dwarf bucks. But the the thing is not a single siege or ambush from the goblins, they can get to me there were on the embark screen, I'm on the mainland. Even the snatchers stopped after awhile.

But I have had about 3 titans and 2 FB so far. They have been slaughtered and their skull made into totems and placed around the outside of the walls.

Did I scare away the goblins, I wanna siege.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:19:20 am by Captain Willy »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: I sacred away all the sieges
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »

Have you considered my strategy? Unresricted access to the caverns and kill every caravan that shows up.

Also, I've noticed that they sometimes go a while between sieges, especially if their building up their strength. IIRC a goblin army isn't spawned from nowhere, but depends on how sucessful they were in world-gen, i.e. they're army may have been slaughtered shortly before it ended, so the size would be alot smaller.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:25:22 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:09:48 am »

i came here hoping you really did use the sacred to defeat the plague of goblinkind, possibly by somehow making armok immanent in the world. Sadly you meant scared, not sacred.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 07:22:32 am »

I cannot recall the exact topic, but I remember someone (maybe even Toady?) stating that if you kill all goblin historical figures sieges won't spawn. (generals and squad leaders for example). Maybe it is your case?

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:08:13 am »

OH DAMN, a did done a typo, I always forget to check the title.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:11:27 pm by Captain Willy »

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I scared away all the sieges
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:06:29 am »

You can out-kill a civilization. How old exactly was your world? Maybe the goblin civilization is/was too damaged to attempt to siege you. Do they still send babysnatchers and thieves?

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 11:18:32 am »

Also check your c for any nearby civilizations. I've found that, at least in my experience, if there isn't a civ nearby other than your dwarf mountainhome, they never come. I've had a super powerful military built up in one instance but we haven't had any invasions in years.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 12:14:12 pm »

They still have a war leader, or whatever they are called. Also my fortress has access to all the other races. Yes they do send a snatcher about once a year.

But the thing is they were sending tons, then all the sudden they stopped. Right at the same time I got bombarded with titans, probably just a coincidence.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 04:50:45 pm »

Also check your c for any nearby civilizations. I've found that, at least in my experience, if there isn't a civ nearby other than your dwarf mountainhome, they never come. I've had a super powerful military built up in one instance but we haven't had any invasions in years.
The dwarven civ is the only civ to show up on the c screen without a caravan or ambush or thief or siege or something showing up.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:08:12 pm »

I like to think that with every siege you destroy, you're slowly whittling down the goblin population, and eventually driving them away permanently. I'd like to see it where you can launch your own sieges and completely wipe out other civilisations from the map
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:33:55 am »

I like to think that with every siege you destroy, you're slowly whittling down the goblin population, and eventually driving them away permanently. I'd like to see it where you can launch your own sieges and completely wipe out other civilisations from the map

Toady is working on this
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.