Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: If we got FTL you would...  (Read 11744 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: If we got FTL you would...
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2012, 03:45:47 pm »

Did somebody already say superman's time travel because if not, and especially if so, then that.

According to my vague and almost definitely incorrect understanding of the theory of relativity, the $15.83 in my pocket during the light speed space flight would turn into several gold bricks, possibly through the wonders of introducing something to do with Einstein to compound interest. Incidentally, the Einstein/light speed/compound interest lovechild gold bricks would tear the pockets off my pants and could break my leg, so I'm going to need something else to keep that $15.83 in. Possibly a safe or other non pocket thing.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 03:49:13 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2012, 03:57:05 pm »

Is it too crude to apply the time travellers paradox to the whole FTL thing?
Already covered by the Fermi Paradox, I think.  Pretty much as you said (except that I've just snipped it).

I tend to go with "The Universe is so large and FTL-capable societies are so few/far-between/transient* that even the most prolific FTL-dispersing/exploring* aliens just haven't found us/tripped over us/accidentally revealed themselves to us*". [*delete as inapplicable]

We might be in a "wildlife park", you know.  Kept pristine and unspoilt by major developments, beyond the dreams of any 'mere' Prime Directive type of thing.  But keep an eye out for any interstellar vandalism, litter and 'pic-a-nic baskets'!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2012, 03:58:26 pm »

Did somebody already say superman's time travel because if not, and especially if so, then that.

According to my vague and almost definitely incorrect understanding of the theory of relativity, the $15.83 in my pocket during the light speed space flight would turn into several gold bricks, possibly through the wonders of introducing something to do with Einstein to compound interest. Incidentally, the Einstein/light speed/compound interest lovechild gold bricks would tear the pockets off my pants and could break my leg, so I'm going to need something else to keep that $15.83 in. Possibly a safe or other non pocket thing.

RON PAUL! and NASA: a winning combination.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2012, 07:45:25 am »

Is it too crude to apply the time travellers paradox to the whole FTL thing?
Already covered by the Fermi Paradox, I think.  Pretty much as you said (except that I've just snipped it).

I tend to go with "The Universe is so large and FTL-capable societies are so few/far-between/transient* that even the most prolific FTL-dispersing/exploring* aliens just haven't found us/tripped over us/accidentally revealed themselves to us*". [*delete as inapplicable]

We might be in a "wildlife park", you know.  Kept pristine and unspoilt by major developments, beyond the dreams of any 'mere' Prime Directive type of thing.  But keep an eye out for any interstellar vandalism, litter and 'pic-a-nic baskets'!

On the other hand, we could be in a very bad neighborhood...
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2012, 07:52:13 am »

On the other hand, we could be the bad neighbourhood.

Or maybe the aliens are already here and are sabotaging our society, so that we will destroy ourselves.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2012, 09:35:54 am »

Or maybe the aliens are already here and are sabotaging our society, so that we will destroy ourselves.
Why would they want that?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2012, 09:53:52 am »

They ran out of paper bags and poo?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2012, 12:27:47 pm »

Or the aliens have left us alone and are just picking up the sheer amount of entertainment we broadcast daily.  I wonder if the aliens would even connect to the internet XD

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2012, 01:48:39 pm »

Now we know: Hitler put them off, but sattelite TV is the reason there's been no first contact.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2012, 12:42:15 am »

But keep an eye out for any interstellar vandalism, litter and 'pic-a-nic baskets'!

Roadside Picnic
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2012, 12:43:54 am »

I subscribe to the theory that if aliens have discovered us, we're already designated a nature reserve.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2012, 12:46:20 am »

They could also be scared of us. They intercept stories like X-Com and know what will happen if they contact us in any way, that being that we'll rapidly steal all of their technology and fight until we're extinct if they oppose us.

It's actually not that far-fetched if the invaders aren't the planet-destroying type. Our theoretical science is in some places centuries ahead of our practical science. If we were to suddenly find ourselves with an outside source of a matching level of practical science...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2012, 12:52:19 am »

We'd still be screwed because any species that's made it to that kind of level of technology would know how to wage interplanetary war.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2012, 01:00:28 am »

We'd still be screwed because any species that's made it to that kind of level of technology would know how to wage interplanetary war.

Or we could be the first warlike culture they'd ever encountered, and they'd have no idea how to handle it.  It's rather anthropocentric to believe that just because an alien species shares one trait with us (intelligence/sentience) that their cultural paradigms would be at all comparable, including attitudes regarding conflict.  It could be an intelligent fungus that is essentially a single-minded being, making the very concept of interpersonal conflict completely alien to it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2012, 01:03:19 am »

I can't imagine any way a lifeform could evolve without having internal conflict. A "single mind" type thing would never get off of its homeworld without dividing into multiple individuals, thus creating the potential for conflict.

Besides, it would be boring if we were the only species that could do war. We'd take the entire Milky Way and nothing would be able to stop us.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11