Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: If we got FTL you would...  (Read 11759 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: If we got FTL you would...
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 07:36:15 pm »

Visit every planet and major body in the solar system.  Take LOTS of pictures.  Take samples if possible.  Geek out a lot.  Probably put on a Star Trek uniform before I leave in the first place.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 07:42:26 pm »

Of course... why travel to other planets when you can blow **** up online! What was I thinking?  ::)
To answer the rhetorical question: So we can blow shit up in real life. Explosions are like sex except that you're less likely to lose limbs if things go badly awry.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 08:24:00 pm »

What on earth would you want alien cows for?
To open an intergalatic chain of alien burger restaurants.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 08:26:07 pm »

Of course... why travel to other planets when you can blow **** up online! What was I thinking?  ::)
To answer the rhetorical question: So we can blow shit up in real life. Explosions are like sex except that you're less likely to lose limbs if things go badly awry.
Wait. You're less likely to lose a limb in an explosion than a sexual escapade? Dude. Next time you throw a party, count me in.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 09:17:23 pm »

Well, that all depends on the manner of FTL. My answer depends on whether you mean FTL communications, unfixed point-to-point teleportation, fixed point-to-point teleportation, or superluminal travel. It also depends on transit time, maximum range, energy expenditure, and other variables. For instance, a drive that used some sort of variable speed of light effect to bypass the c-limit would not be very useful if you had otherwise modern technology. Give me a handful of scenarios and I would tell you what I could do in each case.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:11 pm »

Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 12:44:45 am »

Relevant
What I take from this is that they dismissed an idea that could revolutionize the human condition without looking at other obvious configurations of the same. Of course first they have to make exotic matter, but still, way to inspire confidence physicists =P

Still, 10x the speed of light isn't much, considering - sure you could get to Alpha Centauri and back in less than a year (ideally), but there's no guarantee there's anything much there, and most stars that could harbor inhabitable worlds are much further. Could this be used practically (and economically) within our solar system, though? Half an hour to Pluto isn't too shabby.

OP: Gather as much money as I possibly can and stake a claim on Titan. Sell all the space fuel. Become rich bastard, and leave all my wealth to my dog - on the stipulation that he lives a week in my haunted space mansion.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 12:47:18 am »

Even if it did take a long time to visit neighboring systems, I still say it would be worth it. Remember that for a long time, it took humans months or years to get anywhere here on Earth. Future developments could possibly make FTL faster than "just" 10c.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 12:49:11 am »

I wonder if there's much potential problem with collisions. Since, you know, by the time you see something you've already gone through it. Then again, with a singularity in front of you, it just might suck things up and make you go faster.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 12:51:59 am »

There's also the fact that the faster you are going the more time dilates, if we aren't using FTL. If you're going .99999c you'll get somewhere much faster (from your point of view) than if you are going .9c. The rest of the universe will still pass time as normal and Earth would be a few million years in the future by the time you got to Alpha Centauri and back, but for you it could be down to days or hours.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 12:53:59 am »

Hmm, good point. Most sci-fi I've read deals with this by either shifting your ship into another dimension entirely (and thus, no worries with collesions), jumping you instantly to your destination, or, in the case of warp drives, moving objects smaller than the warp field out of the way and placing them back once you pass.

@ MSH: Yeah, but we're talking about FTL here. Who knows what time will start doing, if we're even still dealing with relativity any more.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 02:04:51 am »

So, speaking of FTL, it's a neat little game, but I get blow'd up frequently.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 02:07:23 am »

So, speaking of FTL, it's a neat little game, but I get blow'd up frequently.
Already made that joke :P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 02:11:55 am »

Fine. I'll take my indie games and go home. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 11:58:13 am »

Pull a futurama and move the universe around you :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11