Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I somehow created a map with exactly one flux-stone site.  (Read 1466 times)

kierkkadon

• Bay Watcher
  • Ich will in Beifall untergehen.
    • View Profile
I somehow created a map with exactly one flux-stone site.
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:47:43 pm »

...and that site was over (under?) the ocean.

Guess I'll re-worldgen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did my normal embark-site search (Flux: Yes; Aquifer: No; River: Yes) and returned a partial with no flux. Retried with N/A for Aquifer, still no sites. Finally did one with just the Flux requirement, and it returned this one.
Bergmann storniert Trinken: Unterbrochen durch Carp.
I'm pretty sure the Elves like it deep in the dark passage, if you get what I mean.
In Soviet Russia, microcline strikes you!

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I somehow created a map with exactly one flux-stone site.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:58:47 pm »

i've never found the finder tool to be very reliable however i have noticed that the premium flux sites have greatly diminished also, mostly because the stone types are hidden and all that's left is flux, shallow metal(s), and deep metal(s) to work with.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:25:20 pm »

I believe the flux finder is broken. Just pick a site with good metals and hope you luck out and get flux. Currently have a fortress with limestone that wasn't labeled with it on worldgen.

Very late edit: Said "one" instead of "a site" and it was bugging me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:45:41 pm by Ki11aGhost »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »

if you put metals everywhere as frequence, it reduces the chance of a flux site being generated.

kierkkadon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 03:38:27 pm »

if you put metals everywhere as frequence, it reduces the chance of a flux site being generated.

I did notice this sort of correlation. I started three worlds with the highest level of mineral frequency and each one got almost no flux stone sites. Lowering the frequency made it possible to get flux.
I'm pretty sure the Elves like it deep in the dark passage, if you get what I mean.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 04:38:13 pm »

Please stop spreading this myth, because it's completely and totally WRONG! High mineral frequency does not reduce the quantity of flux, because all flux stones are layer stones, and layer stones are placed before minerals.

As has already been stated, the Site Finder's flux detector is simply broken - high mineral frequency will cause it to report "no flux" even when there's flux present.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 04:46:15 pm »

Wouldn't lots of minerals reduce the amount of layer-stones, such as flux?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 04:47:27 pm »

Prolly, but just because there's little of something, doesn't mean the finder will report it as none. Also, it prolly wouldn't impact it so much to where there are very little or no flux.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 04:53:55 pm »

Wouldn't lots of minerals reduce the amount of layer-stones, such as flux?
It would only reduce the actual number of stones you could mine after embarking, but that's always been the case - when you find a chunk of talc in the middle of your dolomite layer, then that's that many more tiles of talc and that many fewer tiles of dolomite. That has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation, though.

Prolly, but just because there's little of something, doesn't mean the finder will report it as none. Also, it prolly wouldn't impact it so much to where there are very little or no flux.
I just generated a world with minerals "everywhere" and told the finder to show me locations with No Flux, and it highlighted pretty much the entire map. I then embarked in a highlighted area and found several Z-levels of Chalk, 60K tiles total.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

kierkkadon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 12:39:59 am »

Well, that seems to be cleared up then. Thanks for the help Mr. Quietust.